Moving to Hungary with a disability

Hello everyone,

Having a disability should not be a barrier to living abroad. While the intricacies of one's move to Hungary may be specific to the individual, certain steps can be undertaken to make the process smoother.

What are the important aspects you would personally keep in mind during the planning phase (social security benefits, ongoing medical treatment, etc.)?

Are you required to go through a medical check-up before your move?

Are there any organisations or groups who lend support to expatriates who have a disability?

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in Hungary (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Are there enough opportunities to make the most of your social life in Hungary? Are leisure activities made accessible to people with disabilities? 

Please do share your experience with us.

Bhavna

I had knee surgery and shoulder surgery here in Hungary.
Both were just simple operations and I was home in 24 hours.
Even so recovery time was slow and I was never given any PT. Went to the uS post knee surgery after a year and healed in the states, was able to toss out my cane.
Had PT before knee surgery here in Hungary, the therapist was great but the equipment was from the 1950's and it was basically just a waste of time.
I was not disabled just injured.
I could not imagine being disabled and living here at all.
Too many stairs too many crocked sidewalks too many clumsy people with their faces in the phones walking into you, just too much of everything.
When a person is injured they operate on a different level, taking in the sights is not as important as just getting yourself dressed and out the door.
I knew a HU guy who was in a wheelchair in the US, he got a ton of money from his accident and was considering moving back to HU as a very wealthy man.
Instead he decided it would be easier in every way on him to just bring his sister, her husband, their daughter and her boyfriend to the US and support all of them while they took care of his needs.
I've had people on the st. try to rob me while on crutches, bang into me, kick my cane out from under me or just walk into my bandaged shoulder because they never look before they leap out.
It's not fun.
The hospitals here operate at min. care is the best they can give which isn't saying much.
You would need a good private health plan that would be willing to take you because US medical coverage doesn't work here, they do not take any gov. plan from the US such as medicare for the elderly.
Trying to use a bus or subway with a handicap is not easy either, the city is not for old people and for sure not for those with a physical handicap. Unless one enjoys being a shut it that is.
As far a collecting SS under the conditions of being disabled from the US and living outside the US, I have no clue how that really works or the laws regarding this issue.
My cousin lived on disablility insurance from the US gov. for 10 years in SE Asia, he was in his 50's, too young to retire but young enough to collect SSDI, think that's what it's called. He is grossly overweight and unable to breath well. He has since moved back to the US.
His younger brother collects SSDI in the states because he is mental, bi-polar, he also gets aid for having been a vet, for a whole 2 weeks that is! He was set up in a brand new apt.,don't think Hungary would treat the disabled without funds that well.
I would hope and think if one was disabled and collecting US gov. tax payer funds to live on that they would have to get a medical check up every so often at random to make sure they are still disabled.
Would be a bit difficult to hop on a plane and let them do a home visit in the US.
Perhaps they are very liberal and don't do follow up health checks?
In any case any medical coverage given by the US gov is null and void here in Hungary. You must buy your own insurance or qualify for national health.

Bhavna wrote:

What are your thoughts on the infrastructure in Hungary (public spaces, transportation and buildings)?

Where I live, it is terrible.

Most buildings have stairs. Especially government offices. Limited to non-existent support for disabilities.

Limited to zero support for disabilities for trains or buses.

No "audio" cross walks for the blind.

Some wheelchair accessible curbs, but not in all places.

Crowed and narrow seating in some restaurants, useless for wheelchairs, but also IMHO a fire hazard.

The new currency has markers for the blind, which is really nice, but that is a national issue, not a local issue. Locally, if one is not fit and able, it is really terrible.

Yes,I do not know any of the laws about the handicapped here in Hungary but I knew/know 2 people in the US who use wheelchairs.
Even in the US, in Vegas with all the modern construction and tourist friendly areas my wheelchair friend often had a hard time getting around here and there. If not for her husband being at her side 24/7 she would be stuck.
We had dinner with them at a nice pizza place in Vegas, she goes there all the time because they have good wheelchair access and good pizza, anyways she was semi-freaking out about her handicapped parking space because her husband had parked at a slight angle and she couldn't get in her chair without him helping her.
I can't even think about what she would of done here in Hungary.
To tell the turth from those 2 I know I can say most times handicapped people really do think twice or even three times about going anywhere. It is more hassle then fun for them, their life changes when they are really handicapped and doing "normal" activities is not in their bag of tricks any longer, they find other things to enjoy.
It's all about comfort when you are disabled and sadly so far Hungary just doesn't have the resources for this minority of people.
Both of my chair bound friends had homes with large swimming pools where they could get someone to help them float around, my one friend even got her twisted legs to kick and could swim on her own.
She was a beauty, really nice face and hair, was super active when we were in school, on the running team etc. Really a fit person and again super pretty. Still pretty as an older women now but she gets a bit upset in public and that  is not very pretty at times to see. People tend to stare and she gets a bit paranoid, we all know people love to stare here in HU even if one is not disabled.
My friend did travel to Italy with her husband and MIL but these was before she needed a wheelchair all the time. She used to be alright for a limited time with a walker. Even so she said it was hard to get around and she was going 5 star with good hotels and just visiting tourist areas. These old cities and towns are not for the handicapped really, hate to say it but when these places were built most handicapped people stayed indoors or just went away to some group home.

I should add that if you tend to get "frustrated" easily then you will also be handicapped moving to Hungary.

I second sentiments posted - having a disability is very difficult here. 

My 95 year old father was here recently and he has some mobility problems.  Too many stairs and no alternative methods to get up and down slopes etc., toilets too small etc. Public buildings are being converted to have ramps but it's a weak effort. 

I found BUD airport to be rather disorganised for wheelchairs.  In comparison, LGW (London Gatwick) was VERY well organised for all sorts of people.  Very slick and accommodating for the most part - getting to and from car parks was the main problem.  In HU, the same.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I second sentiments posted - having a disability is very difficult here. 

My 95 year old father was here recently and he has some mobility problems.  Too many stairs and no alternative methods to get up and down slopes etc., toilets too small etc. Public buildings are being converted to have ramps but it's a weak effort. 

I found BUD airport to be rather disorganised for wheelchairs.  In comparison, LGW (London Gatwick) was VERY well organised for all sorts of people.  Very slick and accommodating for the most part - getting to and from car parks was the main problem.  In HU, the same.

A couple of years back on one of our Vegas trips I asked for wheelchair help to get to the gate. My knee was killing me and I was using a cane after my knee surgery.
It never arrived, I asked the desk clerk where it was and she actually asked if I really needed it or not. In the US that would be illegal to even ask such a rude thing.
I hobbled along.
On the way back to Hungary after 6 months in the US and 6 intense weeks of 2 times a week hour long PT  with modern equipment and 100% attention by the therapist,I was able to give up my cane and walk without pain.
Wouldn't you know it, when we arrived at BUD 2 strong men asked for me by name and had a specail van waiting to pick me up, They strapped me into a chair and took a side back road to another airport gate, it was way over the top, my husband told me to go ahead and let them do their thing just so we would know what was going on with this system, better late then never I suppose... It was very weird and sort of embarrassing after my knee was back to normal.
Odd thing was I never asked for aid going into HU only leaving and even then just the min.
Guess someone got the memo, a bit late!