Hello from the USA. I am looking for resources.

Hello Julien and thank you for making yourself available to us. 

I'm 51 years young, female and am just beginning my research.  There's a lot to learn! 

Without getting political, I will say that I started thinking about expatriation in the summer of 2016 but have put the research on the back burner because it seems so drastic.   I'm finally at my breaking point and it no longer seems so drastic.  I am looking for a place I can live comfortably on a dime and still feel safe.  Cambodia appears to have what I am seeking.  I'm scared.  I'm excited.  I'm ready.

Do you have any reading material and informational resources that you can point me to?  My biggest fear is being scammed while trying to secure an apartment. 

Thank you so very much,
Kaye

Hello Kaye.

Your resources are right here and right now.

You came to Expat.com and that means a wealth of information on about everything related to living in Cambodia.

Scroll through the threads or use the search function at the upper right corner, you will find answers to most questions.

You're scared to be scammed when searching for an apartment? There was a thread just shortly that exactly covered this.

Good luck with your search.

Joe

Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi Kaye,

You should already know if South-East Asia is for you. Since it sounds as if you've never been to Cambodia, you must visit, preferably several times & at different times of the year.

Let's not sugar-coat it: Cambodia is probably best for those with a "frontier spirit" who enjoy the freedom it brings and can live with the fact that "Big Brother" is not going to be there for them. Men do better in SE Asia than women as they find more things to like in the long run & are more simple-minded.

Find your reason why you want to live here and make sure you have enough motivation "in the tank"to carry you over should things get difficult / the rainy season get to you, etc.

As for getting scammed, just renting you probably won't.

Kaye I have lived here on and off for almost 4 years, being scammed renting is rare, joe and I go with a extremely honest and great agent here , I have rented  through him as well as jo and countless others we have sent him over the years, you have to remember in all my travels most people are honest! I can't say that enough, go with the half full concept, Khmer people are friendly and honest, for the most part, I too come from USA and you won't experience the threat of violence like in USA, Khmer people have a kind honest beautiful spirit! Forget the rent scam put it out of your mind, we have a agent here that will take care of everything, he's fantastic, as well as many others on this site, they wouldn't last long being dis honest on ex pat, I will say it again Khmer people are honest, I dare say much more honest than your average USA person, there you must look out for scams, of course here also, but with a few street smarts you will be fine, things are not perfectly clean and I find this refreshing! It's not all perfect , but the kind people make up for it,  I lived in Vietnam for a while , a lovely beautiful country, more modern , but the people in cambodia are to me ( just my take ) are by far the kindest, by far, they speak more English in cambodia than Vietnam, and Phnom Penh is a short bus ride to Saigon , many buses leaving everyday, go with a rental agent on this site , and do not be scared by the people offering 700-1500$ rent , they are the scammers, you can find what I have a nice new apartment, very safe secure, one bedroom, all new tile furniture, new appliances, flatscreen cable WiFi nice tiled shower all new, 400$ a month, this same unit similar can be found in the Russian market for 300-350$ and Russian market is fine also, I live by the royal palace just about 50$ more a month, but if the want more than 500$ it better be really nice pool gym elevator and doorman, , please do yourself a favor and if you come private message jo Khmer or me and we can send you to the right agents, jo knows a few I think, just a footnote I rented at a place my agent found me I stayed two years, ( I wish I still had it)  the landlords are my best friends it got so I didn't even get a receipt from her because she was so honest ( I don't recommend this) but I still have dinner at her house with her family, and when I return I always see them first , I'm from USA so I can say this , it's so much safer in pp than in any city in USA especially the large cities nobody is getting beat down for your Nike shoes, a snatched phone after bars close usually is the most and biggest crime here protect your phone at night , motorbikes drive by and snatch it on the run, compared to USA Phnom Penh h is like a small farming town in Iowa crime wise,  come check it out as was said men seem to do better but I know many women from the USA who like me would NEVER EVER LIVE IN USA AGAIN , GOOD LUCK , FORGET ABOUT RENTAL SCAMS WE HAVE YOUR PERFECT AGENT, SCAMS ARE THE 700$ one bedrooms listed , our agent will show you extremely nice apartments that are considered very nice by USA standards ( mine has new stainless appliances, new furniture everything really nice, just my long take on this, but don't act out of fear, I did when I first arrived, I was petrified, I didn't do my research, which is great advice, but I have learned that cambodia is much safer by far and away the USA , USA is very violent cambodia is not simplest way I can describe it, you use some common since and you will feel very safe and appreciated by the wonderful Khmer people , to me the kindest overall people I've ever met

Last but not least the very most important thing to remember in cambodia ,,,,,NEVER NEVER NEVER did I say that enough never speak of the Cambodian government , this is not our country, and  if you want to talk about horrible politics let's start with our great leader the Donald, the Cambodian people whose country it is ,they the Cambodian people will decide, , it is totally not mine or your business, do not have a opinion either way, if your around people talking Cambodian politics leave immediately, never a word good or bad about the government , this is the best advice you will receive from anyone on this site, keep that word in your vocabulary NEVER GOOD OR BAD NEVER !  You and I really don't know enough to have any opinion anyway, we are guest here act like it!!!