Input and advice r.e villages

Hi all. I have been considering Bulgaria for a few years. Researched a lot (I thought). I came in March for a week to Bucharest, stayed in VT and visited various villages and houses driving hundreds of miles, north and south. I came home disappointed. Saw a few houses I liked but every village I looked at was dead, with no amenities, maybe one shop, and every drive to New searches was the same. Visited plovdiv, VT, yambol, stara zagora, varna, burgas, etc but not wanting city house, looking for house with land. Having a teenager, and grandchildren to think about I came home dismissing bg. Keep thinking about it though, I think I missed something and was looking in the wrong places but just didn't have time to see more. I did not travel around the Sofia region or towards the mountains or nearer the Greek borders. Would like to have input towards villages within an hour of Sofía (won't fly to Bucharest again!) that are alive with more than one shop, maybe a cafe or pub, school, com centre, communal pool even, few expats, transport links to Sofía a bonus. Thanks in advance.

Hello, if you are looking for a house with land, I would recommend to consider Popovo area.  People with children tend to settle in the village of Slavyanovo with working school, own train station and other amenities. I have chosen a quieter village of Palamartsa - all 2 schools are now closed, but it is only 10 minutes drive to Popovo with schools and all other facilities. The village itself has post office, library, 2 shops, bar, Thai restaurant/cafe, rumours of opening of another bar and bakery. Town of Popovo is on the main train route from Sofia to Varna. Quite a few expats from many countries are in the area.

Thank you. Yes we did go to popovo and liked it but didnt research villages round the area. We looked at houses in kamen, dolna lipnista and a few others. No good. The only reason I mention being an hr from Sofía is due to flying to London or Bristol as I have g children to visit regularly. The flights are cheap from Sofia. Bucharest cheap but horrible journey.

Thank you. Yes we did go to popovo and liked it but didnt research villages round the area. We looked at houses in kamen, dolna lipnista and a few others. No good. The only reason I mention being an hr from Sofía is due to flying to London or Bristol as I have g children to visit regularly. The flights are cheap from Sofia. Bucharest cheap but horrible journey.

There are daily flights from Varna to Luton, cheap in winter, but get pricy during summer. Varna is about 2 hours from Popovo by car (good roads) or train.

dimwolf wrote:

Hello, if you are looking for a house with land, I would recommend to consider Popovo area.  People with children tend to settle in the village of Slavyanovo with working school, own train station and other amenities. I have chosen a quieter village of Palamartsa - all 2 schools are now closed, but it is only 10 minutes drive to Popovo with schools and all other facilities. The village itself has post office, library, 2 shops, bar, Thai restaurant/cafe, rumours of opening of another bar and bakery. Town of Popovo is on the main train route from Sofia to Varna. Quite a few expats from many countries are in the area.

What do the children do now for school, or do they not go to school?

My son is 16 and in college, will be a couple of years before we move. Grandson who will probably move with us is only 2

They go with a school bus or car runs to the nearest town - 10 minutes ride... Many Brits, though, prefer to home-school - not sure that this is a good idea in a different language environment...

When you say regular visits back to the UK, how regular are we talking and what sort of property do you want? Renovated or ready to renovate and design to your own specifications?

dimwolf wrote:

They go with a school bus or car runs to the nearest town - 10 minutes ride... Many Brits, though, prefer to home-school - not sure that this is a good idea in a different language environment...

There are people who think that compulsory education is wrong and that people should be free to choose. But people are not really free in this world - more - free range.

I love BG village live, just need to plan more.   If my criteria was the same as the original post I would need a town rather than a village, but then you have to accept you will have less land

In Bulgaria i heard that you dont really get houses situated on their own outside villages, as all the houses tend to be grouped within a village, and a house on the edge of a village is the most remote option most of the time. Is this true?