Americans in Bulgaria

I am interested in your location, how long you have been in BG and what you have done re: automobile, taxes, etc. Thanks.

Hi DrDuane- I've been here about a month. I haven't needed a car, and if I do, will probably just rent one as needed. (I'm in Sofia). I'm retired, so my income is US based and taxed there.Ginny

Hi Ginny,
We chatted earlier. I am glad to hear that you made it to Sofia. I hope we can talk more and I can learn about the transition.

am in the USA now but am leaving in sept to move to Kardjahli , will be bring car, dogs,  and have applied for my D-visa waiting to hear back but expect no problems.

Hi Dr Duane - Yes, I"m here - all's well. I've applied for residency (the first year application) and expect to hear back in a couple of weeks -- all's well here! Looking forward to catching up. Ginny

Lillianusa,

How did you come to select Kardjahli? Did you work with a BG lawyer on any steps to immigrate?

Hi Ginny,

I hope you are settling in smoothly. We have begun to plan our trip to BG next summer. At this point, we will fly from Prague, where I will fulfill some business duties, to Sofia and then on to Burgas. The plan is to stay there for several days and also explore the north and south coast. I think you gave me the address of an attorney earlier.We may pay him a visit, too.

Keep me posted here or via my private email, which you have.  Stay well.

DrDuane

wife come from Kardjali have family and freinds there. and no did D-visa my self not a big problem.

I'm so happy for you Ginny! I just came back from BG, and I loved it.
Would you please, share your experience, is it necessarily to hire a lower to open visa D? Did he really help you with a process? I met him in Sofia and he basically told me to read his website .
Thank you in advance

Hello - no, it is not absolutely necessary to hire a lawyer to get the visa "D", but in my opinion, it is advisable.  Yes, for general information you can look on government websites, and it certainly makes sense to look at the attorney's website as opposed to paying him/her to tell you the same information.  My case is not complicated - I am retired, and my pension income exceeds the requirements for the visa.  That said, I felt that it was worth the relatively modest fee that my lawyer charged.  He arranged for a very economical health plan (required for visa D) and translated all the documents. He arranged a lease for me that satisfied the legal requirements (I had been staying with a friend, but the lease and related documents have to be from the owner of the property - my friend was renting). He translated ALL the documents - pension, FBI background check, etc -- this is required, and of course you would have to pay some other certified translator if he were not doing it. There were some points on the application that I found ambiguous, and he clarified those points. He told me exactly what I needed to do and to have with me when I went to the Consulate in Los Angeles (there is no Bulgarian Consulate in Hawaii).  I was very well satisfied with his work, and I believe he saved me a lot of trouble and expense for the equivalent of a couple of hours pay if he had been a US lawyer. He is now helping me through the residency process - I was told by the Migration office in Sofia that my card should be ready by 10 am Friday. I hope this helps you to decide.

I agree that a lawyer is not necessary. Plenty of people get the D-visa without one (including me). But if you can afford one, an experienced immigration lawyer can make the process less frustrating.

Thank you so much for your advice! Wishing you the BEST