Fingerprints in Bulgaria

In case any US citizen wants to be fingerprinted in Bulgaria to initiate the FBI Criminal Records report without going back to the US, here is what to do:

1. Learn Bulgarian language

2.  The US Embassy said local police departments will take fingerprints.  The Burgas Police Dept refused to take fingerprints unless it was book you into jail.  Sorry, no thanks.

3. Next, the Research Institute of Forensic Science and Criminology (RIFSC) will take your fingerprints.  The office in the Center at the Ministry of Interior, 29 6th of September, does not do the fingerprinting.

4.   Go to the website  http://www.nikk.mvr.bg/   
       Under Activities link on the left, find instructions to wire the 14.40 lv fingerprinting fee to the      Ministry of Interior account in advance,  BRING a RECEIPT FOR PROOF OF PAYMENT.

4.  Take a cab/drive to the The American College of Sophia, approximately 8 km SE from the Center. Or  take the Metro and exit the last stop, Business Park. The American College is about  300m to the NW,  Use Google maps or GPS or ask people how to get there.  The RIFSC building is a 5 story building located at the rear of the American College campus,  Ask directions if necessary,

5.  Several people speak English and will facilitate getting the fingerprints.

6.  The FBI does not require the fingerprints to be apostilled or certified, just legible.  The RIFSC tried to certify the fingerprints at the National Police HQ, which I declined.

7.  Learn Bulgarian language

Alternatively, you can take your own fingerprints using a black inkpad and printing out the fingerprint card from the FBI website. There are instructions online and it saves the hassle of having them "professionally" done. ;)

Hi - I am unclear about your previous post - did you actually get the fingerprints done at the American College of Sofia? And, did they certify them for you?

Thanks!

I have already downloaded the FBI print card - however, it seems they need to be signed by the professional taking the prints, so they can't be done personally. Have you actually submitted a card on which you printed yourself? Were there any issues?

I have done it myself, submitted them with my background check and had no problems.  (This was in 2013). To be fair, I have experience being fingerprinted every year for several years to renew my license for working with kids, so I was comfortable doing it on my own.

On the FBI page it clearly states that the card must have your name and date of birth. Nothing else is required. https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident … ary-checks  They suggest using a tech, if you can, but do not require it.

If you already had the background check form here, no problem. I need the fingerprints to get the background check from the US.

Nice info., but I was unclear on the steps that did work for you. We need them to get our criminal background check. I have other questions on getting papers authenticated and apostilled. If anyone has time to answer some questions email me***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Go online and make an appointment at the police at the American College in Sofia. First you have to pay a small fee by bank transfer and show them the proof. They take your prints there. (You can print out the cards, which they prefer, but they also have them.)You go back a few days later and pick them up. Then bring them to another building and pay some minimal fee for the verification. A few days later you pick them up, get a stamp and pay another small fee.I DHL'd mine to a channeller: National Background Check, Inc.www.nationalbackgroundcheck.com(877) 932-2435They send you an email with the certificate (make sure you check with them if you haven't received anything within a week)You forward the digital certificate to an apostille service and they mail (US postal) it to an American address. I had someone in the US receive it and DHL it back to me. Crazy, but that's the drill. In fact, because it got lost once, I had to do the whole thing again. Another time, I missed the 10 day deadline and National Background deletes all files after 10 days. So I actually did it 4 times! FUN! Good luck. (Best if you can get it done while in the US!)

@remurphytx

Hello, we are trying to get our criminal records, which requires fingerprints. To be clear, which steps do we take?

I have other questions of you have time. ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

It's correct, as someone said above, that the FBI itself does not require the fingerprints to be apostilled or otherwise certified, as long as they are clear and in the proper format. However, the resulting FBI document (the criminal background check) DOES need to be apostilled and translated into Bulgarian by a certified interpreter, and the translated document has to be notarized by a Bulgarian notary. This is a requirement of the Bulgarian government, not the FBI.  The FBI clearly sets out on their website what you need to do to get their background check.  The Bulgarian government also sets out what you need to submit for a D visa and later to apply for residency.