Schengen zone

I was reading an article about Bulgaria's Schengen zone application and the article suggested it won't happen now, because of the various wars going on. It suggested that other Schengen areas will start tightening the borders between themselves and Romania and Bulgaria, so the border crossings into Romania and Bulgaria, may get tightened up.

Any thoughts anyone?

Bulgaria and Romania are being blocked from joining by Austria and the Netherlands. The tightening of borders has been going on for years.

Austria has decided to extend border controls with Hungary and Slovenia for another six months, until May 2024.

There are controls in place between Austria and Germany as well.

It's all to do with trying to tackle migrants being smuggled through Europe.

@grumpyoldbird

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Borderline, unwelcome
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I was reading an article about Bulgaria's Schengen zone application and the article suggested it won't happen now, because of the various wars going on. It suggested that other Schengen areas will start tightening the borders between themselves and Romania and Bulgaria, so the border crossings into Romania and Bulgaria, may get tightened up.
Any thoughts anyone?

-@grumpyoldbird

No wars in schengen. Why write this?

@Anastasija_gust

I think what's referred to is wars elsewhere leading to higher numbers of refugees fleeing their home countries, and therefore Schengen zone countries wanting tighter border controls to deal with the increased migration.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some off-topic posts have been put aside from this thread.

Regards

Bhavna

@janemulberry

Yes. grumpyoldbird must put fake stuffs again.

@janemulberryYes. grumpyoldbird must put fake stuffs again.        -@Anastasija_gust

No fake news was posted tho by her,

Schengen won't happen now, because of the various wars going on. FAKE

AUSTRIA stops schengen. REAL

Or both are true.

@grumpyoldbird, far from spreading fake news, was asking if something that's been widely reported in various media was true.

Schengen won't happen now, because of the various wars going on. FAKE
AUSTRIA stops schengen. REAL

-@Anastasija_gust

I know what's going on in the world!! The war in going on between Ukraine and Russia is an issue. 

Please write in proper English!!

@janemulberry

Yes Jane that's how I understood it.

For those who believe I was spreading fake news, I wasn't, I was simply asking if others had read similar articles and what they're thoughts were. I don't know enough the subject to spread fake news, nor would I if I did.

All we see is that the EU is helping Bulgaria and Romania to fortify their borders, and there is a lot of backchannel discussion how to convince Austria (who's President at least is supporting Bulgaria's Schengen entry) and the Netherlands that the new Schengen borders will be secure. Just give it time. The old dogma of using BG and RO (maritime only) as buffer zones with Turkey no longer holds sway.

As a sidenote, we should acknowledge that Turkish authorities said they had arrested 140,000 undocumented people attempting to cross into Europe since the beginning of the year. Some 40,000 had been deported to their countries of origin. And Turkey said it had arrested 5,000 smugglers. “These are all very positive, and we see especially on the land border with Greece and Bulgaria a very determined action on the part of Turkey's security forces, army police and gendarmerie, to do away with smugglers and flows,” Greek Migration Minister Kairidis said. (Source Al Jazeera)

@TomJannings

That's quite an impressive number of arrests. They should have just gone to the UK in a boat, they'd have been welcomed with open arms. 🙄