Kind, helpful person emigrating to Mauritius, seeks advice.

Salut everyone.
Intending (seriously) to emigrate to Mauritius.  Retired, Professional, single gentleman, 61.  (English, living in France).  Thinking of a two/three month stay to do my research, get a real feel, talk to as many people, see as much as I can, etc.  Happy to join-in, contribute, offer what I can and so live a "normal" life - be a citizen not be a tourist.  Fully intend to pay my way. I don't want anything for free.  More than delighted/capable to help-out with just ordinary domestic tasks, do some English conversation, can even offer help with college/post grad business studies. 
Flexible 2019 dates. 
All ideas/responses most thankfully received.  Whether accom, volunteering, good contacts or just plain old advice.   

Kind regards, cordialement
Alan (member name undependent).

Hi Alan,

Good luck with your forthcoming trip to Mauritius.

ifyou have any questions, we can help in the meantime.

Thanks Winston.
I'll admit, I'm rather new to any form of public forum (nope, never done any social media, only standard email).  Very good of people like yourself to be médiators/helpers.

Cheers
Alan

Hello

Are you aware of this guide:

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/mauritius/

Hi  and welcome to our country soon   :-)

Below website may be useful to you;

www.relocationmauritius.mu

Best wishes dear

Hello Alan,
Wish you all the best in your relocation plans.
you might end up liking it here!
You can add me up under heading " accom, volunteering, good contacts or just plain old advice"
Msg me when you are here!

Hi Alan,
Welcome to Mauritius.
You will find a population that has hospitality in its DNA! And you will make many friends, including myself.
You will get many answers on this forum. Please don't hesitate if you want to send a private message.
Hans

Hi Alan, you're most welcome.
Would be glad to volunteer. I hope you have a hassle free relocation.

I'm up for your pm

Hi
Thanks yes, I have read that guide.
Cheers

Winston, hi
Thanks for the offer of help.  I've been able to make a couple of contacts, and at the moment I'm finding out as much as I can about the Visa system.  I'm eligible for the retirement route, but have no desire to sit on a beach all day.  The property investment option isn't for me as I'd prefer to contribute to Mauritius with my skills and experience, rather than own some of the country's real estate.  Of course I simply don't know enough (yet) about the local economy/business so it would hardly be prudent to commit to the business investment option.  Some form of employment would suit me, (and I hope, be valuable to Mauritius) as I'd like to think I have some useful experience/skills.  I plan to make a two month visit later in the year. 
A couple of questions, please:
If I start to live there with a retirement visa, is it then possible to change my status should I find a business opportunity/employment?
Does the Government have a policy that encourages people with certain skill sets to immigrate?

Thanks
Alan

OK Thanks.
Alan

Hans, thanks for that.
Cheers
Alan