Moving to Hungary

Hello
Thinking of moving to Bekes area,.Do YOU know this area?  Korosnagyharsany.
Is it safe, not too many stray dogs, I will be on my own some of the time. Are the (stories) about the Gypsies robbing the house when your out just that.....(stories).
Thank you.

I'd have to look that town up on a map, sorry no idea where exactly it is located in Hungary.
Gypsies are in many areas but you can look online at the general yearly census and they may have that listed.
Yes, sometimes people will take apart a home that is not lived in. Other times the roof my leak and depending on what materials the house in built with it could come down. Happened to one of our friends who's parents let him one of those countryside mud homes. He was in the states for a long while and came to HU to find the house half falling over, total tear down.
Stray dogs can happen anywhere. Had some following me in Erd on find summer's evening, sort of scary, need to carry a big stick .
Got curious and looked at the location of that town... why move way out there?
It's a boarder town so without  much thought it has it's issues.
I've been to the HU /RO boarder and know that these places are a semi- no mans land.
Not a lot of repairs done on roads and  not a whole lot of things to do.
I will take a wild guess and say probably not the best of places as jobs probably are hard to come by out there, meaning, yes, some people may be of the criminal element out there.
Hope I'm wrong but think it over, many other places in Hu to move to.

Christiansmum wrote:

Hello
Thinking of moving to Bekes area,.Do YOU know this area?  Korosnagyharsany.
Is it safe, not too many stray dogs, I will be on my own some of the time. Are the (stories) about the Gypsies robbing the house when your out just that.....(stories).
Thank you.

Someone has to have a pretty good reason to move to somewhere like Korosnagyharsany.  As far as I can see it's a long way from anywhere.   

Unless there's some really special reason to be there or you've got a thing about being bored to death, you'd be better off in proximity to Budapest or a large city like Szeged or somewhere touristy with a motorway passing nearby like Siofok.   

I don't myself go anywhere East of BUD airport or a few km south of Balaton.  No special reasons other than I have absolutely no reason to go anywhere there.

Access to medical services, transport, education and shopping is not that great out in the sticks. Lack of money and few opportunities for people.

The gypsies can rob you anywhere but in those close communities, everyone will know who did it.  It wouldn't mean you'd get whatever it was back as it'd be in Romania in a flash.   

Everyone out in the country has dogs for guarding their property and many just let them run around unvaccinated and uncontrolled on their land.  Sometimes they escape.  City dwellers usually take them to dog school.

Thank you very much.
Will look for somewhere else.

Thank you very much Marilyn. I had my doubts but needed them confirmed.
Which you have done. :)

I know if you look at property online it is easy to get carried away with seeing low prices but remember... there is a reason the prices are low.
In fact this weekend we plan on viewing a tiny vacation house for sale a 10 min. walk away from a spa with a river in town , close to a lake and a big Tesco and other shops within walking distance. The price is really reasonable, talked to the seller who lives in Budapest and she said she knows 4 retired HU from Budapest who live in that resort too.
One lives right next door to this property as well and is a senior aged granny.
Easy access from the highway, house right in the middle of town, sounds like it's too good to be true to me.
Sounds too good to be true, have to see with our own eyes to believe it.
Have no intention of buying trouble for ourselves...
Have to look closely and relook again before buying or moving anywhere.
I've lived too long to trust anything that sounds too good to be true but then again there is always hope!
PS this town we are going to look at has a 2.2 Gypsy population and 59.% Hungarian and the rest is other. Overall a low Gyspy population as it seems most residents only have weekend/summer homes there.

I think I'm going to stop looking, as you so rightly say, if it sounds too good to be true...
I bought a house in Bulgaria two years ago, paid cash, and I'm STILL waiting t o receive the Deeds!    what's wrong with me!!
I'll probably just come over for a holiday.

Well in Hungary it is a good idea before buying to go into the Land Management Office and make sure the person you're buying from actually even owns the property.
After you purchase a property with your lawyer it's good to double check that they did their job and filed your deed at the land management office too.
If you go in person to their office you can look at their records for free once a year, if you want a hard copy of the document it costs a small fee, forgot how much, a few thousand forints or so.
A good idea to look once in awhile to make sure there is no leans or silly things against your property from anyone.
My husband is Hungarian if not I don't think I'd deal with the paperwork issues here myself.
Maybe you should think about getting the title deed for your property in hand in Bulgaria as well, someday you might need it to prove your ownership.

Christiansmum wrote:

I think I'm going to stop looking, as you so rightly say, if it sounds too good to be true...
I bought a house in Bulgaria two years ago, paid cash, and I'm STILL waiting t o receive the Deeds!    what's wrong with me!!
I'll probably just come over for a holiday.

Oh dear!   I think you might find Great Uncle Bulgaria has miraculously returned from the war to reclaim his property and your cash has gone.  It's a well known scam.

Here in HU, if you use a reputable lawyer, there are no issues. 

But of course the usual cautions apply - never believe the lies of the real estate agent, don't believe the boundaries, never buy a property that does not have utilities on site, never use the same lawyer as a seller and never pay in physical cash. Always bank to bank. 

Much of this has been covered before in these forums.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe you should think about getting the title deed for your property in hand in Bulgaria as well, someday you might need it to prove your ownership.

Don't know about property in Bulgaria but here in Hungary, there are no deeds, it's all in the land registry land book which is considered definitive proof of ownership and characteristics. 

Any earlier documents are superseded by a later date land registry entry.

Unfortunately I know a bit too much about this subject as we STILL have an ongoing  dispute with our neighbour over the boundary.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Don't know about property in Bulgaria but here in Hungary, there are no deeds, it's all in the land registry land book which is considered definitive proof of ownership and characteristics. 

Any earlier documents are superseded by a later date land registry entry.

Unfortunately I know a bit too much about this subject as we STILL have an ongoing  dispute with our neighbour over the boundary.

I suppose the correct spelling would be lien not lean... I'm losing it.
Sorry Mr. Fluffy for your land trouble issues.
After reading some of the posts here over the years I'm afraid to rent, move, sell or buy anything here.
Our next door neighbor is moving next month.
I sort of feel sorry for his MIL who was born 74 years ago into that flat.
Don't think moving was her idea.
They sold  and are buying a cheaper house in the countryside so they can also buy a Budapest flat for their daughter out of the sales profit.
The wife will now have to take a train for one hour to get to work where as she used to be able to walk to work in less then 10 min. time.That's going to get old fast.
A middle aged  single female doctor is moving in, could of been worst, could of turned the place into a B&B or to a young loud family.
I'm fine knowing a older women is moving in even if it means months of living through her remodeling.
Many people find it appealing to buy here in HU because of the low costs but they may forget it isn't always so easy to sell, our neighbor had his flat on the market for nearly a year, seems he got his asking price though.
Even having a HU husband and son I'm a bit thinking ahead of just selling out and renting here.
I have no intention of leaving our flat to our space case son, knowing him he will get a shifty lawyer who will rip him off blind after all our hard work and saving to buy for cash.
As he lives out of HU it is more trouble to leave him a property here then to just have him able to access funds and do what he wants after we have gone on to the big burrito in the sky.