What to choose on Type of assessment for income tax submission 2018?

Dear All,

I am working in Malaysia from April 2018 to till now and currently in progress of submitting my income tax for last year ( the assessment year 2018).

when I tried to fill the details for the income tax submission online for 2018, I could see Type of assessment under the PARTICULARS OF INDIVIDUAL section (1st section)

1.Separate
2.Self; whose Spouse has no income/NO source of income

if I select option 2 then I can get around 1000 exemption for spouse relief from total tax.

Am getting confused which option to choose for my below case,

My family (Spouse & kid) is staying in India so far they have valid dependent Visa and visited Malaysia 2 weeks in December 2018 for a short trip. My wife has worked for around 6 months in the last year 2018 and didn't work for 6 months.

we need to consider option 1 or 2 based on my wife is working in Malaysia or not and it's not relevant to whether she is working in India or not?

a.should I select SEPERATE? Since my wife is worked for around 6 months in India in the 2018 year
b.should I select option 2? Because my wife is not worked in Malaysia and even worked only for 6 months if they considered as my wife is working

Could anyone help me with this? we are very close to the last date of submission ( April 30)

Also, I would like to know how come the tax department will validate whether any citizen from India is working or not? ( just using passport number ?)

Looking for your valuable information...Type of assessment 2018

Thanks,
Jagan.

Check the explanatory notes
BE form
http://www.hasil.gov.my/bt_goindex.php? … it=Search.

Only employment and income in Malaysia is relevant to the tax return

The 6th months work in India is relevant to her Indian tax return

I think you should choose option 2.

Thanks a lot, Gravitas for the quick response. I will go through the link you have given.