Moving to Shanghai with girlfriend

I will be an expat in Shanghai. My girlfriend will come with me. Is it possible for her to find a job there. Does she have to fulfill any requirements if she wants to work there? Does anybody have any experience when an expat goes to shanghai with his gf?

@Joe_Z82

This will be your girlfriend, but this advice applies to same-sex relationships as well.

In general, the Chinese government treats non-married people as single, no matter what relationship they might have. As such, you would need to help your girlfriend obtain a visitor visa. If you are fortunate, your employer might be able to broker a deal with your girlfriend for some kind of special "fiance" visa. But do not count on it. It depends on the employer, their relationship with the government, and the province where you will be working.

To work in China, your girlfriend will need to be an "expert". In general, but not always, she will need a four year college degree, and two years work experience for starters to even be considered. There aren't any exceptions aside from world-class artists, performers, or non-degreed businessmen.

The harshness of this rule should not scare you off, however. The rules are in place for a reason. And, let me tell you, the reasons are very good ones. In China, luckily, everything is taken on a case-by-case basis, and if you are of kind heart, willing to work your tail off, and willing to make friends, I would strongly anticipate that doors will open up for the both of you.

Best Regards.

thank you for your fast reply :) i surely will check it with my employer if there are any possibilities

She would only be able to get an L visa and be required to do visa runs every 2-3 months.  She would not be able to work legally without qualifications unless she was a heavily experienced expert in a shortage sector and was earning a lot of money. 

The chances are almost certain she will not be able to acquire legal work unless she has university education + experience, if she does she should apply for her own work visa.  In fact the rules are the same even if she was your spouse.  You cannot work legally on a spousal visa either but the Q2 is issued for a year or two so at least it is longer.

I don't think you have many options, most people in your situation either leave their girlfriends at home or have them on a tourist visa.

Ok thx this sounds bad :/

Hey Guys I'm keith from south africa.Is it possible to move and stay with your girlfriend in chine and she will be studying online not working.

Your girlfriend can reside in China under a visitor visa. It will probably be three months, single entry.

If, however, you two are married, she can obtain a spousal visa that would be associated with your Z-visa. Your situation is a common one. Absolutely do not try to work if you do not have a Z-visa.

@Joe_Z82 ok nice to hwar that I'm mobile smartphone business men older from shenzen city in China mYbe she can working with me can I gave her email or her whstsapp kind regards Sam

Your girlfriend can reside in China under a visitor visa. It will probably be three months, single entry.
If, however, you two are married, she can obtain a spousal visa that would be associated with your Z-visa. Your situation is a common one. Absolutely do not try to work if you do not have a Z-visa.
-@VANNROX

Hi Vannox, I am a Qualified Electrician from South African. My Girlfriend has been an English teacher in China for 5 years now. I'm looking for best options to join her that side. I know you say I won't be able to work on spousal Visa but will I be able to run my own business, like for example sell items?

Thanks in advance for your input

Darius

Hi All, Does anyone have info on Qualified Skilled workers finding work in China or Hong Kong? I need some info please. Hong Kong (EMS-Electrical & Mechanical Services) requires all Skilled workers to have a Certified License to perform skilled work but I wanna know if foreigners can apply for this License at HK EMS?

Thanks

Darius

@charlesdarius99 Sure. You can set up a WOFE. This is a company owned by non-Chinese that operate inside of China. That would do exactly what you are looking for.

@VANNROX Ok thanks for the feedback.