Psychologist in Chengdu

Hello everyone, I am a French national and psychologist and I have recently started working at the Global Doctor clinic in Chengdu. I conduct psychotherapy in English and French.

I know how complicated it can be to find a psychotherapist in China in places other than Shanghai, Beijing and Hong Kong, so I am just letting people know that I am available to conduct psychotherapy sessions here in Chengdu.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

This is a good question. I know from personal experience how valuable your skills are.  I was married to a woman who was suffering from schizophrenia and was schiztoeffective. It was fine until she turned 25 and then it was a long, long and slow decent into madness. Eventually, she started to do really bizarre behaviors and the USA government locked her up in an institution.

It was talented professionals, like yourself, that helped me through my "caretaker" role(s) while I was simultaneously working at very stressful jobs. I will never forget the support that I received. I have never had the opportunity to tell my therapists a "thank you", but you should know that the role that you take on and your assistance is of immeasurable importance.

I do not know what I can advise for you in China. My background is in engineering, factories and product design. So I was able to find a niche in China. Your background is quite different.

What I can tell you that it is illegal to work in China unless you are hired by a Chinese company to perform psychotherapy. So, you will need to find a Chinese hospital to sponsor you. Chengdu has numerous hospitals, and I am sure that there might be a couple that are English speaking.

Of course, you can always work "under the table" and get your own clients. If you decide to go that route, you will be limited in working with expats only. I say this because I am assuming that you cannot speak Chinese that well. The cultural gulfs and language gulfs might become enormous hurtles for you to overcome.

If you were here in Zhuhai, I would recommend that you offer your services in HK and Macao. I am sure that you would not have any problems at all.

Best of wishes.

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear that you had to go through such a trying experience with your wife's illness and I am glad that you were able to find meaningful help from professionals. I also hope to be in a position to help when needed.

Concerning my situation, I am currently legally working in an international clinic named Global Doctor. My purpose for posting the message is just to let the people looking for a therapist know that a psychologist has an office in Chengdu and is available to conduct therapy sessions. Doing a quick search on the internet, I did not find references to anyone doing this kind of work in this city, so I hope to make sure people can find the services they may need.

I can't provide therapy in Chinese, but am able to service the English and French speaking communities.

Working legally is a requirement for the psychotherapy to be covered by insurance and the ability to be covered makes weekly or bi-monthly sessions available to those who could otherwise not afford it.

I am glad to hear that you are connected to an organization that will support your efforts.

I would strongly suggest that you post your services in  the expat.com classified's section. Please keep it up to date, and do't "orphan" it. Let the expat community know of your services and how to reach you. Make sure that you have a WeChat id and a QQ to make it easier to locate you.

You can also "set up shop" on WeChat, and I would suggest that you use this platform to connect with other expats in need.

I wish you the very best wishes, and warmest future.

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please only post in English on the anglophone forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi !

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who's living in Chengdu right now, and he would maybe like to seek psychological assistance, but he's concerned about the non disclosure rules that you might or might not have. His situation could become a problem for visa renewal purposes, so he was wondering if you had to report some situations to the government, or the head of the clinic, etc.

Thank you very much,
Antoine

PS: (Tried to post in French first, but was moderated. If you wanna contact me, both languages are fine).

Hello can I know of your service charges and how to book for an appointment

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The pricing is different depending on whether you are insured or not, as well as whether you are working or studying here in China.

If you have any questions or would like to set an appointment, please contact Global Doctor directly at either 28-8528-3660 or 139-8225-6966, the second number is also the clinic's Wechat ID.

Thank you!

how do you communicate with Chinese speaking customers? with a translator beisde you and the patient?

Could you say what type of therapy you practice?

Thank you