Shopping online within Ecuador 2019

It's 2019, and what is the current situation with online buying within Ecuador?

Since 2015, not much has changed unfortunately. What has changed is that some companies like Kissu, Novicompu, CompraEcuador, etc have increased their online catalog on websites like mercadolibre.

I do shop online, but mainly for items that are hard to find like a remote for a device or something that I'm familiar with (including price). So, things like that I buy online but if it's something that I want and it costs more than $100 then buying from a brick-and-mortar shop is often better because you can negotiate face-to-face.

Case in point, a workout bench that I recently purchased. I negotiated a 30% discount from the original price, and I just don't see that happening online especially when it's from a big company because who will you negotiate with?

With guys selling stuff from their homes you can do that as there is back and forth communication either via whatsapp or the user interfaces that are available on the websites. With bigger companies, it's mainly - contact info, method of payment and delivery coordination.

Another disappointing aspect about buying online is that the search engines for websites remain dismal. Really, really awful and you have to be kind of precise with local vocabulary as the hits just aren't there for synonyms. One would think after 4 years some improvements would have been made to the algorithm.

Also, there aren't any newcomers that have added to a better online shopping experience. Linio which had a good amount of marketing, at least in the capital, is apparently out of business. Ya esta has a horrible search engine, and I haven't tried them. Yeah, it's 2019 and shopping online could and should  be a lot better.

As I just moved here full time from Colombia I haven't yet had a chance to do online shopping. I have heard there is a large import tax associated with online shopping here. I would love to know the regulations on importing items from Amazon for instance. Colombia has recently welcomed a Amazon shipping center and while a little more expensive than the US, its doesnt seem to be cost prohibitive to get a Amazon order shipped to Colombia. How would that work in Ecuador. What would the % import tax be on a $100 order coming here from the US?

I was out browsing through an appliance store last weekend and about fell over seeing a basic dishwasher costing $1500 when in Colombia they are $400. Then some other things like refrigerators seem to be similar cost here. I was just at MegaMaxi in Manta yesterday and a 1 lb. Jif Peanut Butter was $13 and I can get a 3 lb in Colombia for around $6. I guess after seeing that I will severely be limiting my intake of peanut butter. LOL

NHLFAN wrote:

As I just moved here full time from Colombia I haven't yet had a chance to do online shopping. I have heard there is a large import tax associated with online shopping here. I would love to know the regulations on importing items from Amazon for instance. Colombia has recently welcomed a Amazon shipping center and while a little more expensive than the US, its doesnt seem to be cost prohibitive to get a Amazon order shipped to Colombia. How would that work in Ecuador. What would the % import tax be on a $100 order coming here from the US?

I was out browsing through an appliance store last weekend and about fell over seeing a basic dishwasher costing $1500 when in Colombia they are $400. Then some other things like refrigerators seem to be similar cost here. I was just at MegaMaxi in Manta yesterday and a 1 lb. Jif Peanut Butter was $13 and I can get a 3 lb in Colombia for around $6. I guess after seeing that I will severely be limiting my intake of peanut butter. LOL

Hopefully, someone will give us an update on buying things from places like Amazon. Maybe, things have improved in that regard but I doubt it. What I do with stuff that I buy from Amazon is bring it in luggage when I travel abroad and back or have family/friends visiting bring it. I've never had an issue with customs regardless of what I bring in.

As for stuff being pricey here, well that's how it is, but you'll adapt and get used to it. But basically anything that requires any kind of power like electricity or gas will cost more than many other countries. 

With appliances, start your shopping search with locally made brands like Indurma  and then compare them to pricier brands to get a feel for prices.

On a positive note, digital stuff like books and video games are the same prices when using accounts from abroad.

NHLFAN wrote:

As IColombia has recently welcomed a Amazon shipping center and while a little more expensive than the US, its doesnt seem to be cost prohibitive to get a Amazon order shipped to Colombia.

How would that work in Ecuador. What would the % import tax be on a $100 order coming here from the US?
.... I was just at MegaMaxi in Manta yesterday and a 1 lb. Jif Peanut Butter was $13 and I can get a 3 lb in Colombia for around $6. I guess after seeing that I will severely be limiting my intake of peanut butter. LOL

If Ecuador could do the same as Colombia in regards to Amazon, that would be fantastic. I'm going to Florida next week basically to go shopping (also work too), and there will be an Amazon shipment waiting when I arrive at my relatives home.

In regards to peanut butter, there is  an Ecuadorian version. Unlike Jiff, it is made without sugar, so the taste is different. I prefer it, but I get why other expats don't like it.

Tangentially related, I have found a fairly active "Ecuador Mule" group forum on Facebook. People come to agreements about shipments with prices between $8 to $10 per pound, or else an agreement to reciprocate the favor in the future.

I look at OLX and MercadoLibre all the time. But I haven't purchased anything using those sites yet.

For E-commerce to flourish, I believe that Ecuador will first need to greatly free its banking and financial regulations and adopt a global perspective. 

This allows making transactions via apps like Paypal, Square, Venmo simple. Make it easier for merchants to accept cards or digital payment and set up payment gateways.

Much more of the population (a target goal would be 75% of the population in 3 years) needs to have easy access to checking accounts, debit cards, and credit cards. When my girlfriend recently opened her first checking account, the paperwork hurdles were ridiculous. In the 21st century, it needn't take more than a single 15-minute appointment at the bank to make it happen (It took 4, over the course of 2 weeks). 

Considering the bank failures over the last 3 decades in Ecuador, and the populist controls the far left like to put on bankers, it will also take a sea change in culture for the general public to trust financial institutions.

But I have hope that smart people will figure out ecommerce here

lebowski888 wrote:

Tangentially related, I have found a fairly active "Ecuador Mule" group forum on Facebook. People come to agreements about shipments with prices between $8 to $10 per pound, or else an agreement to reciprocate the favor in the future.

I look at OLX and MercadoLibre all the time. But I haven't purchased anything using those sites yet.

For E-commerce to flourish, I believe that Ecuador will first need to greatly free its banking and financial regulations and adopt a global perspective. 

This allows making transactions via apps like Paypal, Square, Venmo simple. Make it easier for merchants to accept cards or digital payment and set up payment gateways.

Much more of the population (a target goal would be 75% of the population in 3 years) needs to have easy access to checking accounts, debit cards, and credit cards. When my girlfriend recently opened her first checking account, the paperwork hurdles were ridiculous. In the 21st century, it needn't take more than a single 15-minute appointment at the bank to make it happen (It took 4, over the course of 2 weeks). 

Considering the bank failures over the last 3 decades in Ecuador, and the populist controls the far left like to put on bankers, it will also take a sea change in culture for the general public to trust financial institutions.

But I have hope that smart people will figure out ecommerce here

Change is obviously on the horizon but how long that'll be is another matter.

On-line is a non-starter as Vsimple has indicated in so many words.

I've been here more than three years now and have found Mega Maxi to be  pretty much top price on everything.  I don't recall where you live but here in Quito, for appliances and large electronics I have found Old Town to be a treasure.  It takes a bit more work but the selections are the best I have found anywhere in Quito and the prices are the best I could find as well.

Also with online shopping one has to be wary of fakes. Especially footwear, cologne and perfume. A few days ago I was shopping online for sneakers, either Nike, Adidas or Reebok and I found Adidas Fashion Air Max.  :lol:

Air Max is a Nike product, yeah these counterfeiters are shameless. So be careful, and if you don't know how to spot fakes from genuine then checkout a few Youtube videos to help you out.

Also, if they have a physical store don't think the products are genuine because fake stuff is sold at many places. The center of it all is probably Ipiales shopping center in San Roque.

IMO dependable places are Marthon, Explorer and Koa Sports for footwear. That's what I eventually did when I purchased my Adidas on sale for almost double the sale price on places like Amazon.

You might thin Wow! paying double for a pair of sneakers, well at least they are original. Some people pay good money for fakes, not knowing they are fakes.

IMO, double a sale price is okay. Double a list price is probably not.

Personally, I buy very little branded merchandise except for electronics and shoes. In which case, I want the genuine thing, because I am looking for quality in manufacture, not just a name. In both cases, I simply put off my purchases for when I travel back to the US.  I suppose my other option is to go to the company store at a mall here.

For shoes, a good brand is also important for the technology that makes life easier whether it's running or walking long distances. I pointed this out to a friend who buys fake $25 shoes but she couldn't care less.

And as for buying stuff abroad and bringing it in, my experience something will be missed from time to time. Then there are instances when someone wants/needs something and doesn't want to wait.

That was my situation with the latest shoe purchase which are incredibly lightweight with Cloudfoam technology. They are ideal for hot climates as I plan to take them to the coast.