What do you wish you had brought?

I'm getting ready to move to Ecuador and I'm wondering what Ex-pats can't buy in Ecuador (or it is super expensive) and wish they had brought with them or had brought more of.

For example - my husband's family is Ecuadorian and when I visit I never feel their towels and sheets are as nice.

Why should anyone reply to you?  I wrote a lengthy response and you never even said thank you.   Typical.

You are too funny, I would have never thought of such question...you may just need advice on places to shop for your items of preference. There is nothing you cant find here or have a chance to find something else to make up for. Towels and sheets?! maybe your husband's family didnt buy the type you like but that doesnt mean you cant find them here. People here is flexible and happy in other ways. It is a matter of adjusting to some differences. Many things are better, many things are worse. Come with an open mind and you will be just fine. Best of lucks.

exactly, if you are coming to Ecuador is in order to have something diferent otherwise just bring the ones you like from the US, there are so many stores here in Ecuador where you could find the one you like

kind regards

Star:
I regret your post solicited such “sharp” responses. Unlike LE, I find your question of what to bring sensible and common in this forum. The problem with responding is the items we miss are unique to each individual based on individual tastes. In general, they are usually the small things that make life a bit more comfortable or enjoyable. Unfortunately, you do not recognize them until you can no longer find them.

We keep on a laptop a listing (“US Shopping”) of items to buy on our next trip to the USA. It includes a specific brand of bath soap, electronics, low foam laundry detergent, cold medicines, peanut butter, clothes, cooking spices, electric blanket, etc. Fortunately we return to the USA several times each year. Going north suitcases are empty but coming back they are stuffed. While it is true you can find replacements for many of these items, availability is inconsistent and/or quality is poor. I also find familiar brands sell lower quality/cost products here under the same name including Quaker oatmeal and Oreo cookies.

My suggestion is bring a supply of personal care products and if you will be in the cooler climates of Quito or Cuenca, an electric blanket, flannel sheets and warm pajamas. Lastly, I question the quality of local prescription products given the proliferation of counterfeits and lack of local government supervision. If important for your health, bring a supply of medications. Lastly, if a do it yourselfer, some basic tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, preferably from Sears as their tools tend to last.   Hope this helps.

I sent you a personal message as to not clutter the thread.

Thanks again!

YankeeFlyer4U wrote:

Why should anyone reply to you?  I wrote a lengthy response and you never even said thank you.   Typical.