Sugarcane and Waste

Hi Good people,

I am interested in the sugarcane industry in Mauritius and would like to know if there are recycling plants for the waste of sugarcane once extracted.

Hi,

In the sugarcane industry, most of the waste are re-utilized and turned into by products. Bagasse is used for electricity production. Scum goes back to the sugarcane field as fertilizers and unused cane juice is used to make molasses which go into the production of liquor and other syrups.

Who does the turning of bagasse into energy? government? private business?

Are there many recycling plants of the bagasee in Mauritius? is there a market of the recycling of this?

Private energy companies.

Most of the bagasse is burned to produce electricity. The rest is used for furniture and other crafts.
I don't think one can make any business out of this. Most of the procedures are undertaken by the milling station.

Hello
The "waste" of sugar cane is used as a  combustible fuel.
by burning this is turned into ash.
I have R&D whereby this ash can be used as a substitute for cement.

Dennis

Dennis8888 wrote:

Hello
The "waste" of sugar cane is used as a  combustible fuel.
by burning this is turned into ash.
I have R&D whereby this ash can be used as a substitute for cement.

Dennis

Yes, there is a sugarcane cement plant in the south of Mauritius. Not sure if it's used as a substitute or as a a raw material.

Thank you.
Current practice is the use of pulverized fly ash (pfa) from coal burning power stations.
Bagasse ( ash from sugar cane) can also be used.
Bound with a polymer it makes high mpa concrete.
It seems that Mauritius is more "on the ball" than I Thought.
Regards
Dennis

Hi,

I'm in the sugar industry. Bagasse is used solely as combustible in our power plants and scums are returned to the fields as organic fertilizer. Molasses are used to produce alcohol.

Clitie

what about the use of recycled material for the use of paper and boxes? Are there recycling plants of this type in Mauritius?

@Clitie2

Hi there, would a person be able to buy bagasse directly from the mills for mushroom production? Also what would you pay per ton?

Asking for a friend.

Hi there, would you be able to buy sugar cane bagasse directly from the sugar mills?

Can someone maybe give me an idea who i can get in contact with (sugar mill) to find out how and what the costs would be?

Hello mdk555,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f600.svg

would a person be able to buy bagasse directly from the mills for mushroom production?

I am not entirely sure, but I would say it is quite likely!

You can actually find a list of the different sugar mills located around the island right here. Maybe reach out to the one closest to you?

They might be able to help you out better.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team