Moving to Germany

Hi All. I am moving to Wegberg, Germany from India in a couple of months. My office is in Wegberg. I am looking for a house on rent. I am looking for a house to stay with my wife. I couldn't find any in the internet. Could someone help me in finding a house. Send me any link for houses in wegberg or locations close to it.

Would be a great help.

I never heard about Wegberg before and had to google it. From what I gathered, it is a small, rural town near the Dutch border.
Since it‘s so tiny, you might want to consider living in the nearest (also small) cities of Viersen, Erkelenz or Heinsberg instead. You‘d need a car to commute, though, because public transport is usually bad in the countryside.
And, if you are only moving in a few months, it makes no sense to already look for accommodation now. No honest German landlord would agree to rent a place out to you before you arrive - and you also should not rent something you didn‘t visit and see.
So arrange for temporary accommodation (hotel, hostel or holiday apartment) in the initial weeks and start your search from there!

I know Wegburg quite well; it's a bit in the middle of nowhere since the British armed forces moved out of the area and is now a place where the German government place asylum seekers.  The nearest town (about 25 minutes in a car) is Mönchengladbach.  It's also not far from the Dutch border, so that's another option that may be open to you if you find the price of German housing too much.  As Beppi said, you won't get a legitimate landlord to offer to keep a house open for you; best follow Beppi's advice.

Thanks beppi.

Hi Cynic

Thanks for the reply.

As you know Wegberg quite well, I would like to know something more from you.

How about the public transport, and food shopping (like accessibility to groceries, milk, etc.) in the town. I don't have a car and not planning to buy one anytime soon, so I rely on public transport. My office is in Wegberg and it's going to be a long stay there for me, so I wanted to know about the basic life style in the town. Things like transport, the accessibility to city, safety, and internet.

As beppi said, I am okay to live in cities of Viersen, Erkelenz or Heinsberg but which one would be better.

Your thoughts on this will be a great help.

Hi again,

Wegburg is a typical small town in Germany; it has the usual small shops, plus a couple of supermarkets (Netto, Aldi & Edeka).  It has a train and bus station you can use Google to find bus and train service details.  It's a nice place to live if you don't like busy towns.  My experience was I worked nearby and spent a few weeks in the British military hospital there (since closed).

Thank You Cynic. Means a lot.

Others have given good advice here. I just wanted to add something that might have been overlooked. In Germany, the vast majority of people live in apartments and not in single stand-alone houses like many Americans. Although it is more common in small communities than in cities, finding such a place is very difficult and expensive. If you concentrate your search for a house rather than an apartment then you will most likely be wasting your time and greatly reducing your chances.

Thank you Tominstuttgart. I will keep this in mind. This is a great information.