Looking to move to Nha Trang!

Hi all,

I'm Odell and I'm a 26 year old American that's planning on moving to Nha Trang in November; it seems like a beautiful place, but I have never been and I would like to try my hand at paradise! So, obviously, I would like to do a bit a research first.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask the following questions, but here goes:

1. What are some pros and cons of knowing Southern versus Northern dialectic?
2. What are some local formalities that I should know about?
3. Is it safe everywhere in Nha Trang? Even in the cheaper places to live?
4. Is moped / bicycle theft common?
5. How is the adjustment learning how to ride mopeds in the city? It seems hectic.
6. What is the typical attitude towards Americans there?
7. How will I be received as a Black American?
8. What would you say is the demographic makeup? As far as locals, Chinese, Russian, English, etc?
9. What is the police presence like?
10. Can I find a basketball court?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Odell

Well, the location of Nha Trang is fairly scenic but the city suffers some from over-construction like many places in Asia these days. Also, there are usually a couple of major tropical storms each year. 

Anyway, if you don't have a lot of stuff, you can easily just move to another city or even another country if you feel like it.

1. Don't worry too much about the dialects. There's also Central. Most expats can't speak much Vietnamese. Many locals are studying English and are eager to use it. You will need to learn some British/Aussie slang though.  There are plenty of funny videos on youtube.

2. Daily life in Vietnam is very informal. It's not like Japan or Thailand.

3. Other than petty theft and driving, VN is relatively safe. Here's a recent article with a short video about traffic at the end: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 93204.html

4. It happens, but maybe not as much as it used to?

5. It's not that difficult. Ride on motorbike taxis to see how it works. Then, give it a try. Traffic in Nha Trang is not very bad, except at rush hour.

6. Most locals welcome westerners, at least in the south. In general, the attitude is positive. Actually, you sometimes get negative comments from other westerners, usually in a joking manner. Anyway, they make the same sort of comments about other nationalities as well.

7. Can't say really. I know one woman who's lived in Ha Noi about a decade teaching at a proper international school. Having a well-paid job is probably a big factor, but she must also be enjoying it as she could get a similar position in many other countries.

8. Other than the Russian tourists, I didn't notice a lot of foreigners there, but I wasn't there very long.

9. Don't worry. You hardly ever see them.

10. Not sure. I would think so but maybe not a great one. VN actually has a fledgling pro league now with some American players: https://vba.vn