Air pollution Nha Trang

Hi All,

We are considering a move to Nha Trang. One of the easons we would like to live here is that air pollution should not be to elevated.
Nha Trang, however, does seem to have an air pollution problem.  The data comes from a measuring station in Nha Trang, set up by the Vietnamese government.

aqicn.org/city/vietnam/nha-trang/

For example, ozone (O3) levels are extremely high, at very unhealthy levels. This would affect all people living in Nha Trang very seriously.
We are a family with children so this is a major issue for us.

Is there any one living i Nha Trang who might comment on this?
Do you experience any problems?
Any reason why O3 levels are so high?

Thanks

I live in Nha Trang and I really do have to say it is not heavily polluted. Pollutionut  from traffic does go up during peak hours, but sea breezes during the day and gully winds (katabatic winds) off the mountains blow it away soon enough. Perhaps the reason for what you say are 'high' levels of O3 [but I don't know if they are indeed high] is 'Unlike levels of other air pollutants, ozone levels tend to be lower in urban polluted areas. This is because ozone disappears when it reacts with other pollutants, such as nitric oxide (NO)." see:
http://www.greenfacts.org/en/ozone-o3/

I live 9km west of town and the most obvious pollution our here is black soot from smoke while everyone burns off in autumn, and red dust from the roads in summer.  This is every year. I know, because I am the one who mops the house every two days.

You must know from experience since you live there and I don't (yet).
However the data on the website
aqicn.org/city/vietnam/nha-trang/
AQICN . ORG , city Nha Trang

gives another story.

Maybe there's a problem with the monitoring station in Nha Trang?

AQI levels for ozone pollution are given at:
http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action= … guideozone
200 is listed as being unhealthy for everyone.

the stated level of ozone pollution in Nha Trang is given as 200 at
http://aqicn.org/city/vietnam/nha-trang/.

I have never had any doctor mention this in the last 13 years, and I have not needed to look up pollution levels. As mentioned before, the only pollution I have recognised is dust and smoke, but I live 9km west of town, and the air in town  cleaner than here, due to sea breezes 12 hours a day.

In nearly 4 years of regular swimming the water quality (IMO) is not what it was when I got here.  The visibility has gotten worse and now the smell.  I remember it being a lot clearer and fresher.

If those hotels ever fill up, and they start using the shitters ...whoa.  I hope whatever treatment plant they have is up to it.

I moved north of town 18mths ago and my eyes have felt a lot better.  I was in the tourist area with all the cement dust in the air and my eyes were always sore.  Twice a day you could sweep up this fine grey dust from the floor.   Even with the windows closed the crap still got in.   

I suppose we could all head for the hills.  If only Dalat had a beach. 😀

As for the official figures......I've read elsewhere that the "bad readings" somehow are lost or adjusted.  That can't be right eh......surely wouldn't lie and cheat about these things.

Yogi, a friend of mine lives in the tourist area and has had the cement dust problem, too, because of all the hotels and new houses being built. The problem is not as bad now as it was, due to completed buildings.

Hi, out of interest, where are you moving from??

About air pollution in Nha Trang, if you watch the levels for a while, you'll notice they are better than the rest of VN. Especially true for PM2.5. Like Danang rivals Shanghai, as you've probably noticed.

I don't know where the high Ozone is coming from, but I noticed it in the readings (I never heard of anyone feeling it) - but my guess is Nha Trang gets more sun on most days, less wind, and that's what generates the Ozone in the first place. Then it may get stuck in front of the mountains. I'd eat my veggies and perhaps some turmeric and not worry about it.

I get the sense that most people here comment on particulate matter and that's a different story. But at least you can wear a N95 mask (order from Singapore or HK, 3M makes special mask for city pollution rather than industrial use). I do that sometimes when I'm going through town during rush hour. All other times are fair enuf.

If you are moving from SGN or Hanoi etc, then Nha Trang will be much, much improved. I do get issues in SGN.
Cheers,
A.

Hi,

I'm moving from Europe.
It's true that Nha Trang isn't so bad and the ozone is mainly due to heat during the day.
What do you know about air pollution in Danang? It seems not so bad IMO.

Cheers

Hi Raffaz,

personally I have never been to Danang. About air pollution, according to org/map/vietnam/da-nang/ which updates hourly, Danang is about as bad as Shanghai (I have lived in Shanghai many years and it's hard on your health; worse for kids. But hey, there are working their asses off there, producing tons of stuff, and there's 25 million people in Shanghai alone. So one can understand that keeping the air clean is a challenge).
As for me, I had left Shanghai and moved to a smallish coconut island (very near the city and connected by a bridge) in the hopes of finding some peace and better air. Silly me. 7:30 sharp, the few neighbors we had came out to check wind direction; if it blew away from their house, they'd dumb all their garbage incl plastic onto a pile, set it on fire, and walked away for the rest of the night (note: there is a company picking up the trash every day for the cost of 80 cents a month; but why walk 25 meters to the road if you can just throw it out the door?). We tried talking to them respectfully; their answer was 'yes we know it causes cancer, but just a little, and it's so difficult to carry it to the road'.
Around 8 pm, the karaoke bars across the river started blasting karaoke. I mean bad karaoke. Everyday.

Shanghai felt like a peaceful clean air resort compared to that island. Hard to believe, I know.

Meanwhile I live 8 km out of town, very secluded and right above the ocean. It's much better here, but such places are very difficult to find. And of course, if the wind blows from the city - all the particulates etc get blown over here as well.

Food for thought, I guess, and just my 2 cents ;)
All the best,
Armin