Life in Hanoi

Hello all. I will be accepting a position as an ESL teacher in Hanoi starting in Feb '09 and am interested in best ways to learn Vietnamiese language, understand people and get some idea of what suprises may come my way my first week(s) in Vietnam. I am from Oregon, USA from a mid size town, I understand Hanoi has a population of 4 million, Wow, that alone will be a change from here! I have a degree in Environmental Studies,Teaching ESL and last year worked as a forest fire fighter and on an organic farm.
  Anyhow, am interested in hearing from others and learning whatever things I can ahead of time.
                                        Gene

Hi,
Welcome to Hanoi,
Do you where will you live in hanoi? If you know exactly, I will help you to find the Vietnamese teacher for you. I am also Vietnamese teacher at Institute of Linguistics and hanoi University but now I am teaching Vietnamese in Guangxi University for nationalities, China (the end of contract is July 2009). I know alot Vietnamese teachers now living in Hanoi. If you need help, contact me at: [email protected]
Good luck
Thai

The best way to learn the native language is to communicate with local people. Why don't you come to places where you can find friendly native speakers - Vietnamese and ask them how to speak their language? Then you can listen and learn writing. Somehow it is more effective than having your own language teacher. Thats's what I think.

Goodluck, Gene123

gene123 wrote:

Hello all. I will be accepting a position as an ESL teacher in Hanoi starting in Feb '09 and am interested in best ways to learn Vietnamiese language, understand people and get some idea of what suprises may come my way my first week(s) in Vietnam. I am from Oregon, USA from a mid size town, I understand Hanoi has a population of 4 million, Wow, that alone will be a change from here! I have a degree in Environmental Studies,Teaching ESL and last year worked as a forest fire fighter and on an organic farm.
  Anyhow, am interested in hearing from others and learning whatever things I can ahead of time.
                                        Gene

ROSSETA STONE IS A GOOD START AND CHILDREN IS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN VIETNAMIESE.