Does italy have a reciprocity on driving license with vireginia, usa

I am a SAAB 1996 Gasoline, I desire to bring it to Italy. It has a mere 44000 miles on it, I am the Original owner. A) can I find a good mechanic for SAAB in Turin  B) Can I use my VIRGINIA (usa) license in Turin

Hi.  Italy does not have reciprocity on driving licenses with American licenses.  There is reciprocity with other EU countries.  You can drive on your US license if you are visiting.  If you plan to live in Italy, you will need to get an Italian license.  You can check the time within which this needs to be done by looking on the US Government site and search for driving in Italy.  If you plan to bring a car over, you have a period you can use it (not sure for how long as many rules have changed recently) so you will need to check on the official government sites.  However please note that re-registering a foreign car to Italian is a costly process.  AGain, there are online sites you can search for this which will also show what documents are required.  Another FB site that might have more specific info is “Ultimate Italy”. They deal with these types of questions.  Good luck.  Linda

I concur with Linda. In addition to her comments, I would add that besides shipping, customs, registration, and insurance charges, there are many hidden costs. First of all, your car is probably Euro 2 for emissions standards ( new cars are Euro 6 RDE) which means your Saab would be banned on poor air quality days. I know there must be Saabs in Italy but I have never seen one, but lots of Volvos. Plenty of good mechanics here but parts are probably an issue. Then there is gas or benzina verde. I live in Bologna where the average is in the €1.50 something per litre range or pushing 7 bucks a gallon. That is why diesel is still popular as it is cheaper. People also drive GPL and hybrids. As far as driver's licenses are concerned, you can drive on a U.S. License for one year accompanied by international license you can get at AAA. After a year, you have to pass Italian test. The only exception is for diplomats. I know because I'm doing it right now--very difficult written test, 6 hours practice driving with instructor, driving test plus usual forms and fees. Then there are no-go areas and parking. Cities in Italy ban vehicles to non-residents before 8 p.m. --ZTL zones -- and there are cameras everywhere. Parking is hard to find ( my record in Bologna is circling for an hour).