Too Much Air Con

We got on the Partus bus in Ilocos Sur for a 9 hour trip to Pasay ready for too much cold air.  I always wear long pants and a jacket.  A few years ago I was just wearing a t-shirt and shorts, so at the first stop I had them pull my suitcase so I could grab long pants and a long sleeved shirt.  This time there was a Filipino couple huddled under a blanket most of the trip.  When it was mentioned to the driver and conductor they gave the standard "Company sets the air con, we cannot change it"  They also refuse tips.
               When we got to the MICROTEL next to MOA it was a similar deal.  We had to shut down the air con in our room so that in 12 hours it was more livable.  They also made the lobby and breakfast area too cold, had to wear my jacket to breakfast.
               We got to terminal 3  at NAIA to catch a Cebu Pacific flight to Singapore and had to waste time just sitting in the plane until a take off one hour late.  Right after we left the ground there was a very loud noise, like the opening of about a thousand ice cube trays.  I was in an aisle seat, and a few minutes later water started dripping on me, about once every 30 seconds.  A stewardess came to reach up and wipe the water away from where it was forming on the door of the overhead bin.  About 50 minutes later it started again and we were moved from row 25 to row 17, which was completely vacant.  The plane was a 330 Airbus and had at least 50 empty seats.  Singapore was very hot, got to finally remove my jacket.
               Cebu Pacific is one of those airlines that gives a very low base price and then charges for everything.  We were allowed 40 kgs of checked luggage, weighed in at 39.5 (my wife is an excellent packer)  So we were charged 3,400 pesos for our luggage, had to go to another desk to pay for it.  At that desk they said the lines were down, they could not accept my credit card.  So I had to pay cash, left me with only 300 pesos.  On the flight the snacks were also cash only, another 200 pesos gone.  It was still cheaper than flying PAL or a cheap Chinese line.  Cebu Pacific also did the usual arithmetic shuffle.  The schedule said take off 1:25, landing time 5:25 PM, a 4 hour flight.  Last year we flew in on PAL in 3 hours 15 minutes.  Did not start boarding until 1:15 PM, and the eventual 2:30 takeoff time was blamed on the outdated NAIA air control system.  Landed at 5:45 PM, only 20 minutes late.  That is considered on time in the Philippines.

Yep, sounds about right. Inconvenience and inefficiency at its best.

They over-aircondition everything here. We are always having to look for a seat in restaurants that isn't under the AC. My girl is slender so she gets cold really easily. And in stores and malls they think it's smart to leave the doors open to let it all out. Maybe they think they can fight climate change that way, never mind the coal being burned to generate all the electricity they are wasting.

In all fairness though, I have the same problem in the US. Too much AC is used. You go from hot to cold. Planes are always cold and I'm always amazed to see people wearing shorts and t-shirts on long haul flights.