Clearing your belongings through customs in France

Hello everyone,

During one's big move abroad, shipping personal belongings to the host country can be stressful. Customs regulations differ from one country to another and you never quite know what to expect when trying to recover your belongings once you're settled. How about helping expats considering moving to France by answering some questions about custom regulations?

What are the procedures to get your belongings cleared by customs once you have arrived in France? Who do you have to contact and how do you get in touch with them? How do you go about from there?

How long does this process usually take?

How do you then carry your belongings to your new home?

Are there any items that are restricted by customs in France?

How much does it cost to get your belongings cleared by customs in France? Does the cost change depending on the amount or on certain specific items?

Do you think it is better to seek the help of a contractor to get your belongings cleared in France?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

The rules governing what is required depends on whether you are coming from or outside of the EU. If outside the EU, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Changement de Residence form from your local French Embassy before your move, which certifies that you have lived in your country at least 12 months prior to your move. This helps you avoid paying VAT on your own belongings.

I used international movers to help me from the US to SW France. My stuff took 3 days to clear customs and then a day or two to make the drive to me from Marseille to where I am located. I recommend working with a company that has experience with international moves so they can give you regular updates and talk you through anything you may need. For example, I needed a second, smaller truck to get my stuff up the driveway.

If you work with a mover, they will take care of the whole customs process for you from the time the container gets loaded at your former home city, to the port city, through customs, to your new home. Considering how stressful it is to move to a new country, I highly recommend hiring someone, if you can.

The only items that have restrictions that I am aware of are alcohol, tobacco, firearms and animal goods (not pets - that is a whole other section). This gets changed so check the customs website.

Hope this helps.

I want to know that, too.  :)

I've a lot of stuff in storage and no idea what to expect, when I try to get it here.

I made a big move to France in 2016; two medium-size removal van loads.

Lamberts of Fernhurst, the removers, did the packing, made all the arrangements, arrived on time, unpacked and put away everything. I would recommend them to anybody planning a move.

For any move to France on this scale, I would only consider using professionals. There is a cost but if you try a DIY approach you may write your own horror story/comedy.

Thank you for your post. That was great info.

ASHLAWED -- Thank you for your useful and detailed response.  I have a house near Pau and will be moving some things from the US East Coast to France -- would you mind sharing the name of the company you used?  What I have found has made me rather frightened about the expense involved, to be quite honest.  Trying to cut costs wherever possible... Also, did you ship a car as well?
Many thanks in advance!

My Australian expat friend used a shipping container from Australia to SW France. It was about 10000€.

I had a similar move. I moved from NJ to a small town near Saint Gaudens. The company I used is called International Movers (seriously). I had some issues with the American leg of the move but LOVED the French portion. Please send me a message if you want to discuss. I would still recommend them.

I considered moving a car but opted against it because of the emissions standards issue. It would be difficult to get an American car retrofitted to EU standards and it wasn't worth taking up valuable container space. We have since bought a couple cars here.