Retire legally and healthcare insurance in Taiwan

Hello, I have 2 questions :
1) How a US passport holder to legally retire in Taiwan ?
2) How much does a foreigner need to pay for the monthly healthcare premium in Taiwan ?
3) What is the coverage an insured member will get ?
4) Is it worth to give up US medicare benefit and pay premium to obtain healthcare service in Taiwan ?
Thank you.

I am not an expert in Taiwan's immigration regulations.  However, in order to stay in Taiwan long term you need an Alien Resident Card (ARC).  Something akin to the USA Green Card.  My investigation reveals that obtaining an ARC is extremely difficult for foreigners.  Especially if you will not be working in Taiwan.  That said, the US passport holder can stay in Taiwan without a visa or an ARC for up to ninety (90) days.  What some people do is stay for 90 days and then leave Taiwan and go to Hong Kong for a day.  A short distance away. Then they return to Taiwan for another 90 day stay.  This works for some people but there's no guarantee the immigration officer will let you back into Taiwan.

As far as the national healthcare insurance goes ... I believe it is available only to Taiwan citizens or ARC holders.  It is unclear whether Medicare will pay for overseas medical claims.  After all, Taiwan is not the USA.  I once submitted a medical claim for a hospital visit in Taiwan and it was rejected.  The cost was about $100.  The similar cost in the USA would have been $700!  Despite that, the claim was rejected.

So to summarize I would say no you can not easily retire to Taiwan and you can not enroll into their NHI unless you have a Taiwan green card (ARC).

So it seems you just want an ARC to get Taiwan's NHI medical care services. lolz

I didn't say I wanted NHI.  I have my own medical insurance.  You should not assume anything.  Like I said, Me and other retirees have much to offer Taiwan financially.  We would NOT be a burden on Taiwan's resources.

Do I detect a bit of bigotry in your responses?

arnie wrote:

I didn't say I wanted NHI.  I have my own medical insurance.  You should not assume anything.  Like I said, Me and other retirees have much to offer Taiwan financially.  We would NOT be a burden on Taiwan's resources.

Do I detect a bit of bigotry in your responses?

Do I detect a hint of accusation from you? lol

Taiwan doesn't need or want retirees from other countries.  That is not hard to understand is it?

Why didn't you apply for an APRC when you were living and working here in the past? They have been available for near 20 years.