Getting Married in Nantes

So, I have applied for my visa appointment at the French Embassy in Atlanta through VFSGlobal.

My two main reasons for wanting this visa is to 1.) Continue my education through Nantes University and 2.) Get married to my fiancé who lives in Nantes.

Through reading online, I've found that I have to be in France for a minimum of 6 months before I can get married. That's fine. However, I noticed that I need a new birth certificate under 3 months old in order to get married. How would I obtain that in France when I am from the States? Would I request the French translation and the new certificate in Nantes?

If anyone can give me pointers about the whole marriage process in general, that would help me tremendously.

Thank you so much!

The information you are looking for can be found HERE.

Ok, so arising a bigger question: I've applied for my visa on VFSGlobal and they didn't have the long-stay visa for "Marriage" specifically.

So, I put student visa, and once I submitted that application, it said that I needed to bring my acceptance letter with me. I don't have that because Nantes University hasn't opened up enrollment yet.

So, how/what do I pick to list my primary visa for a stay long enough to marry my fiance?

Hi, I went through the process of visa's and getting married to a Frenchman last summer. Not in Nantes, as I just moved here this past fall. Let me know if you are still looking for these answers as I would be happy to let you know my experience.

Yes! I spoke to the Embassy in Atlanta last month on the 8th of March. Wasn't aware that applying more than 90 days per my plan f leaving the States would land me an automatic denial. Haha! But,the people working at the French section of the Embassy were very helpful and provided different options that I could take in order to finally be able to get to France.

Au Pair, Long Stay, Student, etc.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

I feel like I could write pages and pages of everything that we have gone through, and have considered it and if for nothing else should do it so that I remember all the craziness!

This is what I experienced with the initial visa to get me in France for the 6 months: For me when I applied for my student visa, I did it through London (I am Canadian) as that was where I was living at the time. One of the steps with the application for the visa is a letter of intent. I did not know that what you write in that letter would have an effect on what they offer you in the end. I kept it short as I felt that too much information might complicate the situation. So just told them that I have lived in France in the past to learn French and wanted to go back to take a French Language course to continue to improve. Their response to me was they would not give me a student visa as they felt that my learning French was a personal choice and not something that was going to promote my academic studies so all they would do is give me an extended visitor's visa, meaning that I would not be able to have a part-time job during this visa. The French student visa allows you to work 20 hours a week. In the end it would have been really nice to have been able to work but was fine. The problem that I had is an extended visitor visa was never listed on the website as something that you can apply for.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions and would be happy to let you know what my experience has been.

jewlkat wrote:

I feel like I could write pages and pages of everything that we have gone through, and have considered it and if for nothing else should do it so that I remember all the craziness!

Please do, I'm sure it will help lots of people. :)