New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Portugal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Portugal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello Everyone!

My name is ‘Wunmi Adekoya, a Nigerian currently residing in Abuja and I am planning to go into farming business in the Algrave region of Portugal, in the second half of 2019.

I am hopeful that I will learn a lot here which should greatly facilitate my relocation plan.

My name is Steven!
I will be moving to porto next week, work reasons ;-)
If anyone wants to hang out, and guide me through my first walks in Porto, feel free :-)

Hi Steven! Be welcome to Porto.
Is it your first time here?
I can be your guide for one afternoon :)

Hi, we would like to live in Portugal ( Dutch/French)but not sure which area would be best, we would like to be not too far from Lisbon and not far from the beach, my husband and I are around 60 years and are looking to retire in and around the Silvercoast but not too isolated either, any suggestions would be welcome , thanks Ida

Hi everyone I have just signed up on here, looking forward to meeting new people. Currently residing in central Algarve, been here for a year and finding it tricky to integrate. I desperately need to learn the language but I am strugling to find any classes nearby. Hope to get any advice and guidance from a member.
Cheers

My husband & I have been living in Portimao since October and have had no problem with the language. Most people speak English here and are generally very friendly. I've even joined the local gym where I have been made to feel very welcome, even in the zumba class! We love it here and are even in the process of buying an apartment here. Good luck, hope you feel settled soon

We are visiting the Algarve area in early May for 2 weeks to see if this might be a place we would consider relocating to.  Prefer to be near the coast. 
Considering staying at 3 or 4 different cities while there.  Any suggestions on cities or specific rentals while there. May 1 to May 13
Thanks  Patrick & Rebecca

Hello everyone,
we are a family of 4 (dad mom 2 young kinds) considering moving to portugal. we posted a thread hoping to get some help https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=835096

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Qamar

Hello Guys!
My wife and I just started the planning stage for moving to Portugal.
I am an EU citizen living in the USA for last 20+ years, My wife is US citizen. We should be able to avoid the visa process in the states hopefully, The plan is once there we will start the process for residency. Any help on this topic would be great!

There is so much to do i am already going crazy. I hope  this forum will have a lot of answers. We are planning to move either before the end of the year or early next year,

Our budget is not big at all, we will have to find a rental somewhat cheaper..We would like to live in a smaller village not too far from a town, So far Castelo Branco and Coimbra are the ones popping up on my search for a rental.
I like warm weather and my wife like the changing of seasons, I will prolly lose the battle but never know..lol

Any help or tips would be great!
David

Hi, you should also consider some  Porto region suburbs,  which are up and coming, very safe, fantastic people, great weather, great food, tons of culture, eclectic, rural beautiful, and many suburbs a stone away from the city.

Hi, we've  been living in northern Portugal for the past 5years.  We started our serach for our “perfect property” about 10 years ago, from Algarve to north of Porto.   In this relatively short time, we've seen a tremendous change in the country.  We are so happy we decided to build and live in the north, where the charm is still alive, but also sophisticated and beautiful.  The north is absolutely stunning and still  “the best kept secret” in Portugal.  I advise new comers to be broad minded and go beyond Algarve and Lisbon.  Those destinations are a must to visit, but to live permanently have become over priced, overcrowded and over there!...Welcome to beautiful Portugal.

Hi there. It was interesting to hear your idea of Porto. What actually is the weather like year round in Porto/ north Portugal?
I had been on a different forum and it seemed to be full of discontent brits that advised m Portugal to be far too cold and too wet. Is that the case? I know it rains as it is beautiful and lush. But is it most of the year?
Seems like a petty question but perpetual grey drizzle can be depressing, sun and rain not so

Hi Dilys, yes far north can be like that in the winter months, however within 25 km radius of Porto city the weather is fine, with lots of sunshine.  Also really nice in the Coimbra district, although that area is much less developed and rural.  Alentejo on the other hand ( south of Lisbon) gets uncomfortably hot, reaching over 40c in summer.

Hey I will be moving to Lisbon at the end of the month and can't wait :)

Thank you. We were thinking about coimbra, central Portugal we are currently in Canada, and as much as I love it here I don't think I'll care if I never see snow again lol

Hi all
  I am from india , l like to work in Portugal. Will any one help me . My email ***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Following this! I hope to visit in late 2019 with the same goal as you, wanted to know what 3-4 places I should try to see in the Algarve region so I can make a decision... :)

Hello everyone, we are looking to retire to the Algarve region of Portugal in the next 5-10 years.  We are looking, specifically, around Lagos, but would be open to other possibilities.

Can anyone help me to get job in Portugal . I am from India .

Hello

I visited Portugal a few months back and I liked it so much that I am in the final stages of completing purchase of a home in Lagos.

Would love to meet people and make friends

Eric from SC, US.
70YO, retired, widowed, financially secure.
Want to relocate to PT, probably Algarve.

Hello everyone, I am contemplating moving to Portugal from Zimbabwe.  Am 54 years old and would love to know the job situation and which are the best places for English speaking who cannot speak Portuguese.

Hi, did you move to Portugal and how is it?

Hi Everybody I moved to Central Portugal 18 months ago with my husband, dog and 2 cats.
We are English and previously lived in Andalucia for 10 years.
Loving Portugal and have just moved into our own house having planned it from scratch.
Now lots of hard work sorting out all our worldly goods and then landscaping the extensive grounds.

Hi Dilys
We live at Ansião 40 minutes from Coimbra love the area, but you should know in the winter it can be quite wet. Also it is often windy, don't let that put you off though the Portuguese people are great the scenery beautiful we love it.

Hello my name is Carl. We have lived in the Algarve for 11 yrs.  My wife is very involved in animal well fair here and I have a Therapy centre in Carvoeiro. ***

Kind regards

Pure Sensations
Carl Eastman

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop a free ad in the Jobs section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello there.

We are a Canadian family and preparing to move to Portugal.

We want to move in southern part of Portugal and start a business B&B. we do not speak Portuguese at all but we will learn quickly. Our goal is to run this business as support to our income and because we have some experience in this field.

We speak and understand other languages as a family Greek, Italian, Russian, Albanian.

We  were in Algarve in May 2018 and visited all the area and founded it very interesting and decided to go back  October (2019). We hope that someone might have some experience to share with us.

Thank you

Good afternoon,

My name is Amy and I am currently living in England and my occupation is Marketing Manager. I speak fluent English and currently learning Portuguese.

I am looking for advice on moving to Albufeira or the surrounding areas towards the end of the year to work. If anyone can help with where would be the best place to find work e.g. marketing based or accommodation guidance it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

I too am looking for work out there, I need help lol

Hi All,

Scottish couple just moved from Australia to Miranda, Coimbra with our dog and cat. Been here for around 1 week, and sorting out NIF, residency permit, bank accounts, etc.  Hopefully can kick back in a week or so and relax and enjoy Portugal.

We are ideally looking for a lifestyle, land with a couple of acres to grow our own food, etc.  Tired of city life!! 

We are considering both the Coimbra region as well as Castelo Branco region, but unsure of the benefits of each area in regards to growing food, climate, lifestyle, etc.
Any areas to avoid and why?

Any feedback regarding your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Have an awesome day!

Hello everyone,

My name is Andras, I'm British-hungarian currently living in London and looking to relocate to Faro.
I have a small painting and decorating business in London which I've been doing here for almost 13 years.
I was in Portugal a few times already and (probably I'm not the only one saying this) I fell in love with the country. The atmosphere is wonderful and I found the people are so welcoming.
I'm hoping to start my painting  and decorating business in the Algarve and to be part of the Portuguese lifestyle which suits me very well😀
I speak hungarian and English and I currently started to learn Portuguese.
I like being outside, going to the gym or fitness park, I love Portuguese food.
I'm very excited about moving to Faro and in the meantime if you all have any comments please feel free to share them with me.
Hope to see you soon😉
All the best to everyone,
Andras

Hi Everyone, My name is Odulana Tolulope and i am a Nigerian living Currently in Portugal for 2 years now. glad to be on this site . i am open to new things and businesses.

Hi , i live in Lisbon Portugal and you can get in touch with me when you get into Portugal. if you dont mind i wish to know more about the farming business you want to go into in Algarve. Cheers

CosAde wrote:

Hello Everyone!

My name is ‘Wunmi Adekoya, a Nigerian currently residing in Abuja and I am planning to go into farming business in the Algrave region of Portugal, in the second half of 2019.

I am hopeful that I will learn a lot here which should greatly facilitate my relocation plan.

Hi, i live in Lisbon Portugal and you can get in touch whenever you get into Portugal.

Hy everyone,
I am Mafalda, I am portuguese and I am returning to Portugal after 5 years abroad.

I am from the center of Portugal (Leiria, close to Nazare) and studied and lived in Lisbon for 8 years.

I am now going to work at the North, Esposende and decided to move to Barcelos.

After so many years abroad (China and Italy) I am happy and worried at the same time about coming back to my country as I enjoyed my life as an expat.

So, if anyone lives close to Barcelos (Braga, Porto) and wants to hang out let me know! I would be happy to meet new interesting people.

Also, if anyone needs some information regarding the places I referred before (Leiria, Nazare, Lisbon) I am glad to help you out!

Bye,
Mafalda

Hi,
After having property and living on and off in spain, both the Costa Blanca and Mallorca, I am considering Portugal.
My other base is still in knysna, south Africa, where I have little place on leisure isle in the lagoon and it's as close to the ideal existence from so many perspectives I think one can find anywhere.
However, from a tax planning perspective and because of uncertainty always shadowing this part of the world I need another base.
My investments are UK based and so I'm also considering the generous tax breaks offered by Portugal.
I'm looking for someone with similar circumstance who has taken up the residency deal who I can bounce off some questions with.
Thanks in advance. Ian

Hi, I am Abey from Nigeria, just got into Portugal for a Postgraduate Study and will need information and tips on how to get around.

Hello everyone,

I'm Hillol. I'm from the UK.

I'm moving to Lisbon this June.

Closed