New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

I haven't moved there yet, but hopefully others can be of some assistance.  Good luck!

oh okay
when you planning to move ?

I am Imran your good name.

Hi.  My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Portugal probably before summer 2020.  We are 69 and 72 years of age, from Canada.

We are hoping to visit for two weeks in late February or early March just to have a look around.

Our main questions at the moment are:

1 - best place to rent a 2 bedroom furnished apartment, preferably in Algarve but somewhere near other ex-pats;

2 - exactly how much health insurance is needed in order to get a visa (so far the prices for health insurance are deal-breakers - so high we cannot afford it);

3 - exactly what is needed to get a visa in the first place (there is so much information out there it is confusing).

If there are any Canadians in Portugal now and have some answers to these questions I'd sure love to hear from them.

Thanx

Carol

Hi - can you share your experiences and perhaps some advice for another Canadian?

Thanx

Carol

Hi
Sorry, I wish I knew answers to your questions.

but i am sure there many expats here who could help you.

if i come across your answer, I will surly let you know.

Hello everyone, my name is Moshe. I live in Toronto, Canada and I'm looking to connect with Expats in Portugal to learn more about making a move there in the next few years. 

Great to meet you all and to the Expat.com people thank you for making this site. :)

Good morning Moshe, I am also from Toronto. I am like you. My fiancé and I have started to think about getting away from the crazy city life. slow down and enjoy life. I have been to Portugal, and for the one week I was there. I did enjoy the city, people, foods. Maybe we can share research about our future plans to moving to Portugal. Today is my first day to begin researching the possibilities for Canadians to work, live, purchase a home in Portugal. Thanks for reading.

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are seriously considering the BIG move to Portugal.  We have so many questions and was happy to have this site to reach out and receive some guidance.  We are hoping there are expat's from the USA who care share the light on how they did this and found the best location to think about moving to.

Hello expats! And hello to all my fellow newbies here! So nice to meet you all.

My name is Christina and my husband and I are planning on moving to Portugal from the US in 2020. We are SO excited and planning on settling somewhere in the Coimbra area . I am sure I will be coming to you all over the next several months for Portugal-related advise so in advance, thank you!

We'd love to connect with anyone who has made the move to Portugal as well as, specifically, with any American expats - are there any of you out there? Would love to connect with you!

Wishing you all a wonderful, safe and joyous New Year...

Warmly,

Christina

Hi,

I'm 50 and my husband is 38.  We are planning on moving to Porto in 2020.  We're starting the process of selling our home and I'm looking at ways to take my job with me and work remotely.

We have a million questions.  And have done a ton of research with varying (sometimes contradictory) results.

We'd love to hear from others on the same path -- just starting or ahead of us.  And, maybe we can help each other out.

~ Scott

Hello geopm great to meet you. Thank you for your message. Sorry for not responding sooner. I just noticed it. I'm happy to share what I learn. I don't have a lot that I can share right now though, to tell you the truth, I'm just starting my exploration too and going slowly. I did come across this YouTube video that I think has a lot of useful tips on living costs that you may want to check out: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHCVk7O86RI)

I can understand what you mean. I visited Lisbon in the summer and it was beautiful. May your dream come true!

geopm wrote:

Good morning Moshe, I am also from Toronto. I am like you. My fiancé and I have started to think about getting away from the crazy city life. slow down and enjoy life. I have been to Portugal, and for the one week I was there. I did enjoy the city, people, foods. Maybe we can share research about our future plans to moving to Portugal. Today is my first day to begin researching the possibilities for Canadians to work, live, purchase a home in Portugal. Thanks for reading.

Hi Christina,

My name is Mich and I am looking forward to beginning my transition to life in Portugal very soon.  I am just starting to reach out to make friends on that ends as well.  I live in the Los Angeles area and travel frequently.  Portugal will be in my plans for 2020 for sure.  Let;s stay in touch over the journey and share resources and experiences.  Let's build our team if not join one.

I am an accountant so I will start looking for jobs in that arena.  Not sure of the territory yet, but I will get up to speed quickly. 

Good luck and keep in touch.

Mich

Hello,
We are considering relocating to Portugal in about 2.5 to 3.0 years. Any information about easing the process and the pros and cons of relocating would be appreciated. Also, especially interested in accessing healthcare and the residency process.

Hello... We are considering relocating to Portugal in a couple of months or sooner. My wife and I live in California, both retired and looking at Portugal as a  place to stay for a bit. We have Blue-cross and I have medicare.

What are the pathways and any issues related to Healthcare that we might tackle while we are here in the States... Housing is of course another issue, as to nice, but reasonable as we prefer city over country.

We have looked at other countries such as Sweden, Armenia, Georgia, and Turkey.
As everyplace has its appeal we thing that Lisbon might fit the best.

Also I might be traveling for a week's visit to check it out and I am open for any area to stay or even a family to stay with renting a room for a week...

This is all new to me and suggestions are welcome...

Williamhager

Hi,

My name is Anabela and I am currently living in South Africa.  I am looking at a possible relocation to Lisbon. We are a family of 4.

I am looking for advice on moving to Lisbon, renting houses/apartments and international or private schooling advice. If anyone can help with any advise or guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I will be visiting Porto in a few weeks and would love tips from local experts.  I am also in the beginning process of researching a move to Portugal from the US.  I would most likely need a job, my background is medical imaging or x-ray technologist.  Happy to visit with you all here on the forum and learn all I can about the process and prospects.  I visited Lisbon last year and loved it very much.   Such a beautiful country.  Look forward to making friends here on this forum.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880512

Thanks!

Closed