New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi Wellsfry and welcome.
We have a 3 bed 2 bath house, in summer we run a 1Hp unit in the bedroom at least 12 hours a day 7 days a week plus a 2.5Hp split system in the kitchen/living area, maybe 50+M2 2 or 3 times a week, 24cubic foot fridge/freezer, washing machine and occasionally the dryer when it rains all the time, 2 pedestal fans almost 24/7, water pump for deep well, mostly led lighting. Our bill in summer averages PHP 3,500 to 4,000. Currently through the cooler months it is 2 to 2.5 K.
We do use the water heater for showers in the cooler weather but not when it's hot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve.

BTW Wellsfry We installed R.3 insulation batts in the ceilings, that was the best we could source.

Cheers, Steve.

mugtech wrote:
Wellsfry wrote:

How much will a 1/2 horse air con cost running it about 10 hours each day?  Anyone?  We have a small 1 bedroom apartment with an opening for one in the bedroom.  We have been using a fan which is o.k... but I would definitely sleep better with an air con.  Any suggestions on brand?

Gotta wonder how effective it will be since many buildings here use hollow block, looks like insulation is non existent, tin roofs hold a lot of heat.

Heat is extensive in the Philippines. You have to construct brick style style homes like in Brazil. The tin roof is to withstand the strong winds from so many typhoons. Roof insulation is needed to block the heat from the tin roof. Then you can be confident that you´ll economize significant amount of energy
for cooling.

Are there supplies of bricks for construction in PI?

Very true... The apartment is block walls... zero insulation, and the roof is actually cement also... it is 2 story, but they plan to build it up to 3 story.  I plan to buy one and try it when I am back in January... Just wondering if anyone knew the cost per month for the electricity in Philippines if a 1/2 horse was ran 10 or 12 hours every day... 
   So far with 2 fans, a t.v., electric stove top, lights we are only at 30 bucks a month, so even if it is 60 or 70 a month would be fine.  I suspect it will jump to about that... will see!

Wellsfry wrote:

Very true... The apartment is block walls... zero insulation, and the roof is actually cement also... it is 2 story, but they plan to build it up to 3 story.  I plan to buy one and try it when I am back in January... Just wondering if anyone knew the cost per month for the electricity in Philippines if a 1/2 horse was ran 10 or 12 hours every day... 
   So far with 2 fans, a t.v., electric stove top, lights we are only at 30 bucks a month, so even if it is 60 or 70 a month would be fine.  I suspect it will jump to about that... will see!

Electricity costs vary greatly from region to region.  Where I am at 1Kwh is 12 PHP

Very true... ours is 10 per hour here in Dasmariñas.

Hello Again

Retired  American living in the Philippines with my wife and our daughter. We've been living in the Philippines for ten years.

This is my blog https://www.philippinedestiny.com/ and it details a lot of what our life is like.

I started the blog only this year so there is a lot missing.

Dear,

I am willing to go to Philippines as i am already working for Philippines relating entertainment stuff on my website pinaytv.su.

Please tell me if i can move to Philippines.

Thanks & Regards:

Hello everyone, myself Shubham from India. I want to settle in Phil in Quezon city with my filipina girlfriend but it's been hard to gather info on how I can do that. I am self employed through stock market.

Thanks everyone! Let me know if you know any Indian with case like mine.

Hi everyone,

I'm Clémence from France. I'll be moving to Makati, Manila for work in January. I'm still looking for a place to stay.
I've never been to the Philippines before so I'm looking forward to discovering manila  and hope to meet new friends!

Cheers!

Have fun!  I fly in also January 6 - February 4. But will be in Dasmariñas except for the first and last nights.  Enjoy your stay!  Makati is nice.  (:

ClémenceRT wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm Clémence from France. I'll be moving to Makati, Manila for work in January. I'm still looking for a place to stay.
I've never been to the Philippines before so I'm looking forward to discovering manila  and hope to meet new friends!

Cheers!

Welcome darling and enjoy Manila!

Shubham14 wrote:

Hello everyone, myself Shubham from India. I want to settle in Phil in Quezon city with my filipina girlfriend but it's been hard to gather info on how I can do that. I am self employed through stock market.

Thanks everyone! Let me know if you know any Indian with case like mine.

If you´re a day trader you think out of the box. A lot of ways... The easiest would be to commit and marry!

sajjadkhan007 wrote:

Dear,

I am willing to go to Philippines as i am already working for Philippines relating entertainment stuff on my website pinaytv.su.

Please tell me if i can move to Philippines.

Thanks & Regards:

Maybe you can. You should ask a Philippine Consulate near you.

Hi All

I'm currently based in London and work in the events industry. My work takes me across the globe and often in Saudi Arabia where I met my fiancee.

She is based there on a work contract until early 2021 but with a lot of work and advice we hope to settle in the Philippines.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction

James Norris

Hi All

I'm currently based in London and work in the events industry. My work takes me across the globe and often in Saudi Arabia where I met my fiancee.

She is based there on a work contract until early 2021 but with a lot of work and advice we hope to settle in the Philippines.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction

James Norris

Welcome James.... Where do you and your fiancee plan to settle in the Philippines?  My Fiancee and I have an apartment near her family in Dasmariñas.  We signed a 1 year lease, but we are now planning to move further away from her family so we have a bit more privacy.  They like to pop in, and tend to stay a couple days...lol...   I am splitting time at my house in U.S., and Dasma now. I own a Shakey's Pizza Parlor in the U.S... so it is what it is right now.  Anyways.... I fly in again on Jan. 6 - Feb 4...and we plan to go visit a couple more places to find a new home.  1st we will drive to Baguio, I read it is a bit cooler, and was a popular spot for officials, and expats because of that.  The other is Tagaytay... We visited there 1 time already last year, but I want to take another look, and it is not too far from Dasma.... anyways.... nice meeting you here.

Hello bro

My fiancee's sisters live in Manila and I'm pretty sure that will be our first port of call but I'msure we will be the same and look for some privacy! We also have to plan our wedding but that's another story!!

Just a little advice then... Dont sign a 1 year and live near her family... lol... I would suggest finding an air bnb or something for a couple months to test the waters before settling.  I personally could not live in Manila.  Makati is o.k... anyways.

Thank you that's some great advice! I think we will stay in Manila to get married then look for our own home. I will have to return to work for the busy seasons so I'm guessing she will want to stick close to her family but that's a bridge we havnt crossed yet!

Congratulations... Hope it all works out.  I do like my Fiancee to have family around while I am here in U.S. also... keeps her busy, and happier...  Little tough doing the L.D. thing... I try to keep busy with the business, and I have 2 almost grown sons here in U.S. that I spend good time with when I am here.  Like now...for Christmas.  Have a Merry Christmas. Nice meeting you, and good luck with the move!  (:

Hello all, Ted here from Cincinnati Ohio. Been married to my Filipina wife for 31yrs, and am looking to retire in the Philippines next year. Financially Im pretty well set, no investments or need for earning income in country. We (meaning my wife) have waterfront home paid for on small island near San Vicente. Plan to live there until we can find a more suburban locale nearer to Manila. Just getting serious about finding out what others have done to be successful in their new found homes. I am also curious to know about healthcare (insurance), visa requirements, and moving costs. I have a year or so, so I have some time to plan. Although a year can fly by before you know it. Am happy I found this site.

Welcome to the forum TBear.

TBear65 wrote:

Hello all, Ted here from Cincinnati Ohio. Been married to my Filipina wife for 31yrs, and am looking to retire in the Philippines next year. Financially Im pretty well set, no investments or need for earning income in country. We (meaning my wife) have waterfront home paid for on small island near San Vicente. Plan to live there until we can find a more suburban locale nearer to Manila. Just getting serious about finding out what others have done to be successful in their new found homes. I am also curious to know about healthcare (insurance), visa requirements, and moving costs. I have a year or so, so I have some time to plan. Although a year can fly by before you know it. Am happy I found this site.

Welcome also from myself and better half. After 31 years of marriage I personally would leave most decisions to the boss. San Vicente? What part/locale of PH? (so many San Vicentes)
Plenty of info here and other sites and one simply needs to research to find answers/suggestions and personal experiences. Yep, health care is a big one and covered many times here.
From my end and only 8 years together, we lived in Manila for a year, San Lazero Sta Cruz. Close to the better half's work until we/he came back to Australia for some 5 years, permanent resident and working etc.
We purchased a beachfront home north of San Fernando City some years ago with the aim to not be "too close to family" so 45 minutes away and though we have regular visits from the 5,000 family members also have our privacy or can simply say no.
Depending on your preferred lifestyle Manila can be fantastic or from my limited perspective "some where I would not choose to live again" as I am more country, laid back and appreciate a quiet settled no fuss lifestyle.
Enough rambling for now. But yes welcome to this forum.

Cheers, Steve.

Welcome to the forum James.

Welcome Ted! Congrats on 31 years.

Hi James. I´ve been responding to your posts and I must now also take this opportunity to welcome you on board! Great to have you around.

Thanks for the welcome, and yes the boss definitely leads the way. I am along for the ride, lol. San Vicente is in the eastern Bicol region. Small set islands; Sila is one of those "Pink Beach" destinations, very beautiful. I have visited a few times, once for a couple months and it was so relaxing to be able to unplug. Living there 365, will be different, I know. I likened it to turning back the clock 100 years.

After 31 years I have learned about the family and the need to separate ourselves geographically from them. I have learned many lessons mentioned in these blogs the hard way. Probably the best thing I ever did for the family was to send deserving nieces and nephews to school, so they can support themselves better. And NEVER loan anyone money. If I want to help, I Just give it to them with no expectation of return. They have no way to pay it back, and it creates stress.

TBear, I worked on the Caramoan peninsula, Cam Sur, lived in Paniman for 6 months 8 years ago where I met my better half. Very beautiful area and mostly untouched especially the smaller islands like Matukad and Lahos. Even Paniman and Gota are pretty special as are the people.

Perfect thoughts on giving or lending funds.

I am sure you will enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880510

Thanks!

Closed