New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

You have a nice stay in Manila.

Welcome to the forum Patrick. Amazing you can make the diet work here.

I find a healthy diet easier to maintain in the Philippines than in the U.K.

Fresh fish, veggies & fruit so cheap, it makes not eating 5 a day a challenge.

I don't eat rice much, if i do, it's long grain brown or red.

I hardly eat bread, as a decent loaf is comparatively so expensive, I eat carbs on gym days, not unless.

I don't eat until about 4pm, except for a  coffee late morning.  I usually have nilaga or equivalent (maybe sayote or papaya in there, with alugbati or siling Dahon). Then a large plate of mixed veggies, followed by whatever fruit is in season.

For snacks I'll usually have some chicharron with Worcestershire sauce on them.

I was pre- diabetic 18 months/2 years ago, now following a fasting mimicking diet one week out of 6 & eating like this for the rest, there's now not a trace of it.

Hello Patrick,

The diet here is a big change of pace from what I have been used to in the USA. Rice EVERY meal, seafood most of the time, most everything is fried.

I get home indigestion Everytime I eat out. Turns out, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) is in every dish, and every seasoning packet is full of it.

I live in Ormoc City, Leyte.

Yes, I know what you mean. I try to cook at home so no gms. I'm in Iloilo now. I will be visiting so Leyte in about 2 weeks. Going to b visiting a friend in sogod. Hope to visit biliran isl, tacloban, ormoc, baybay then sogod and maasin city and the coast line.

Hi, I'm French, 23, currently living in Japan and trying to save money to go back to the Philippines in 2020.

I'm hoping to find motivation here

LB95 wrote:

Hi, I'm French, 23, currently living in Japan and trying to save money to go back to the Philippines in 2020.

I'm hoping to find motivation here

Why do you want to go back?

Because my girlfriend is a local and I like the country

Where are you in central Luzon?  We have a house in Ilocos Sur, might be neighbors.

I'm not in the Philippines at the moment, but when I went there, I just stayed at my girlfriend's house in Tarlac and we traveled to Cebu and to some other places in Luzon.
Ilocos Sur looks nice on pictures... We were planning to go visit Vigan but ended up going somewhere else instead.

But yeah I have yet to find where I'd like to settle down in the Philippines :/

Hi call me Steven...I am going to retire to Asia for many years planned to move to Cebu City Philippines but I am finding condo rentals and sales are beginning to be grossly over priced and cost of living seems to be way up.

I will check out Palawan next, Thailand, Vietnam, maybe Malaysia.  Anyone with any friendly hints would be appreciated especially on places to rent and maybe buy condo in Puerto Prinsea.

Looking forward to being new member here.

Oh a BIG PS...

Anyone with information on a check way to get Health Insurance in Philippines..I just cannot afford 3 to 400 month...Need something to cover major hopitization risks just in case major.  I understand on routhine MD or Dental you can self insure.

Any input guys or leads on reasonable priced insurance.

Also any USA folks have bank suggestions.  I would like to keep money here and use ATM to get money, but realize better open as account there.  Any suggestions on good banks in Puerto Prinsea?  If I stay in Cebu CIty a short time will use Citi Bank.  Was hoping to set up account here before I moved next spring. 

Thanks all.

Being diabetic type 2 and challenge if I don't keep my weight in check, and exercise I plan to cook at home as my MD said if you do then you know exactly what goes into the food.  I have been shocked at my food labels the garbage they put in our food here.  I am determined to keep losing and maintain ...its not coming back if I must starve. and not eat.  So fish baked, green veggies, fruits sounds like the plan for me.

Are there any good jobs their can someone help me?

Shah while I am new member here I have read and read on Philippines and if you want and need job does not sound like the place for anyone needing job if expat.  Starting business is what I read is best option, but jobs don't pay much and not much for expats from my understanding.  Others there already may know better.

Hi BBW (lol sorry). I did a quick search on health Insurance and found a couple of hits. One mentioned Cigna Global, which I actually looked at myself a couple of years back, found to be quite reasonable and would have obtained, except that I'm in the States often enough to just keep my US coverage. There was also mention of Pacific Cross. I have no knowledge of that but Google is your friend.

Cheers,
John

shahmelburrell wrote:

Are there any good jobs their can someone help me?

What is your education?  What special skills and/or experience do you have?  You may be able to have your own internet business, otherwise it looks grim.  What languages do you speak in addition to English?

Thanks so much PNW.....I will follow those up.

Im from US too and an east coast person.  I am undecided yet how much I might come back but plan to stay for year, if I like will stay there but if not will return.  I have been many times to Cebu CIty and Cebu Island beaches, but excited to see and feel out Palawan.

Thanks again have a great day.

BeachBlueWaves wrote:

Oh a BIG PS...

Anyone with information on a check way to get Health Insurance in Philippines..I just cannot afford 3 to 400 month...Need something to cover major hopitization risks just in case major.  I understand on routhine MD or Dental you can self insure.

Any input guys or leads on reasonable priced insurance.

Also any USA folks have bank suggestions.  I would like to keep money here and use ATM to get money, but realize better open as account there.  Any suggestions on good banks in Puerto Prinsea?  If I stay in Cebu CIty a short time will use Citi Bank.  Was hoping to set up account here before I moved next spring. 

Thanks all.

The local national health insurance here is PhilHealth, you can find it on the web.  From many conversations it is said to cover from 30 to 50% of hospital stays.  Foreigner cost is  17000 pesos per year. For SRRV visa holders, 15000.

https://www.philhealth.gov.ph/circulars … 2017-0003.

Philippine based providers:
https://www.moneytalkph.com/health-insu … ilippines/

International providers can be compared here:

https://www.pacificprime.com/country/

TEE jay THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH....great info all of it.  I can't thank you enough for your kind help.

Thanks so much for giving me friendly guidance.  Much appreciated!!!

Hi All ex pats

I'm Bill Brit/Scot when i'm in the Philipines live in Anabu Imus City with my partner 1 daughter and baby due tomorrow.

I'm a British Army Vet having served under the colours for 23 years.  Starting the move to the Philipines by going through the documentation phase however i find that the processes are very slow although simple.

I own a business back in UK a Touring Caravan Hire and Repair company.  I'm intending to keep it running when i move to Philippines to enable us to have access to income.

We are intending to buy a property for the family and then buy to let if all goes well we intend to continue as there is a massive need for accommodation.  Outside of that i want to enjoy life in an amazing country.

Matterhorn681 wrote:

Hi All ex pats

I'm Bill Brit/Scot when i'm in the Philipines live in Anabu Imus City with my partner 1 daughter and baby due tomorrow.

I'm a British Army Vet having served under the colours for 23 years.  Starting the move to the Philipines by going through the documentation phase however i find that the processes are very slow although simple.

I own a business back in UK a Touring Caravan Hire and Repair company.  I'm intending to keep it running when i move to Philippines to enable us to have access to income.

We are intending to buy a property for the family and then buy to let if all goes well we intend to continue as there is a massive need for accommodation.  Outside of that i want to enjoy life in an amazing country.

Welcome to the forum Matterhorn, hope you enjoy and contribute. Congratulations on the new arrival.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that.

Regards

Bill

Matterhorn681 wrote:

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that.

Regards

Bill

And do we have another contribution to family life in PH? If so well done and congrats.

Cheers, Steve.

Welcome to the forum Bill. Congrats!

Hello Everyone!

My husband, daughter and I are in the middle of considering  a career opportunity move to Manila, Philippines.  Although its not 100% confirmed yet, we want to start our research early.  we are relocating from San Diego, California. My husband is in construction and I am in corporate compliance.

We have so many questions... which neighborhood is good for family with a toddler, what would be the average cost for housing? But the biggest concern for us is getting my permanent work visa/permit and I am the one relocating with my job. For those who relocated there for work, we would appreciate your input on how you went about getting your visa. Also what type of visa would my husband need to get?

-Joyfully,
Huldah

Hi and welcome to the forum LadyP32, hope you enjoy and contribute.
There are plenty of posts with regards to your questions and one simply needs to look and research both here and with our best friend google.
For me and I have posted on many topics with regard to the visa status for work in both PH. and other countries as others have done.

For me it's simple, if an employer/headhunter offering up a contract to me in whatever country  usually deals with and complies with immi on your behalf/crosses the "t's" and dots the "I's" to secure your position within the company. Relocation, travel expenses, per diems, accommodation etc most times supplied or negotiated.
As for your husbands opportunities I can not offer up any credible info but would believe there would/could be heart ache, others with better knowledge may chime in and I certainly hope they do. Good luck Huldah.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi All Expats,

I'm John from the USA, Virginia, to be more accurate. I am planning a 3 week stay in the Philippines in January and I am hoping for some advice as to where to stay and what to do. I am considering moving there full time... I am 48 and have permanently retired with a comfortable income. Any advise on my 3 week stay would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Hello Johnshep
Might be more helpful if we knew what you are looking for.  Do you want crowed city life, remote beaches,  access to shops, medical etc.  You can find almost any type of destination in the Philippines.
regards  Bruce

Hi

Scott here and will be staying in Pamapagna very shortly. Currently working in the UAE but time to move on.
From Edinburgh in Bonnie Scotland!!

Hi there, this is Trey from Malaysia, I just came to Manila 3 months ago. I've been travelling to Philippines for the last few years, I love this country and culture so much, therefore made a decision to start my internet startup here, Homdax, a pre-selliing condo in Philippines, targeting foreigner buyers.

Hope to get to know more friends here. Cheers.

treyzhang wrote:

Hi there, this is Trey from Malaysia, I just came to Manila 3 months ago. I've been travelling to Philippines for the last few years, I love this country and culture so much, therefore made a decision to start my internet startup here, Homdax, a pre-selliing condo in Philippines, targeting foreigner buyers.

Hope to get to know more friends here. Cheers.

Pre-selling condos in the Philippines will not make you many foreigner friends.

Hi All,  :)

I'm Shaz. I'm a virtual assistant freelancer, I remain in online majority of the time. I'm planning to move to the Philippines.

I have been working with lots of freelancers from the Philippines, and they have become very friendly and like a family to me.

So, I'm thinking to stay with them for a year or 2.

Hello everybody

I am moving to the Philippines for work at the end of next week. Starting a new role in Makati at the end of October and living in Mandaluyong. Would love to get to meet new people.

I am from the UK and would say im quite nerdy. Love ym tech, computers, reading, musicals, writing and various other hobbies. On top of this I enjoy the gym and would be looking to take part in Tagalog classes and perhaps finding some dance choreography dance classes in the area.

Thanks
Fin

Welcome Scott! Edinburgh is a beautiful city, as is your country.

Welcome to the forum Trey!

Welcome Shaz!

Welcome Fin! Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I'm  sure you can find all of that up in the Makati area.

Hey Expats,

I have been living in the Philippines for over a year and have spent two of the last three volunteering around the world. I am currently toying with the idea of starting my own NGO but at the moment I am looking for a new home base to tutor English online from. I freelance as a tutor, digital marketer, SEO, and content creator when I'm not volunteering. I can work from anywhere that has reliable power and decent WiFi but unfortunately, that keeps me tethered to the city more than I'd like. Any of you that know of some places that have decent power and WiFi that don't require a bus ride to the beach I am open for suggestions. Also, open to new employment opportunities if anyone is looking.

Thanks much

Closed