New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Welcome Mickey, good luck with your endeavors.

Thanks.

Mickey Cilo wrote:

Hey Expats,

I have been living in the Philippines for over a year and have spent two of the last three volunteering around the world. I am currently toying with the idea of starting my own NGO but at the moment I am looking for a new home base to tutor English online from. I freelance as a tutor, digital marketer, SEO, and content creator when I'm not volunteering. I can work from anywhere that has reliable power and decent WiFi but unfortunately, that keeps me tethered to the city more than I'd like. Any of you that know of some places that have decent power and WiFi that don't require a bus ride to the beach I am open for suggestions. Also, open to new employment opportunities if anyone is looking.

Thanks much

Hi Mickey,
Power is what it is in the Phils but things are improving and the digital age is here. In Cebu there are atleast separate companies supplying fibre to the house. In fact the house  we recently renovated has two running past with claimed speeds of 100mbs as a top plan. As far as I know the biggest two problems in Cebu  are traffic and water, water as in low pressure at times. But that of course depends where you live. good luck

Thanks very much.

Hello all.  New here.  I'm interested in getting advice and leads on housing in the Manila area.  I'd like to hire an agent to make it easy for me to find a place.

Hello! I´m new to this forum and I´m curious as to how Americans are enjoying and adopting to the
Filipino way of life!

Glad to be here!

quinngel wrote:

Hello all.  New here.  I'm interested in getting advice and leads on housing in the Manila area.  I'd like to hire an agent to make it easy for me to find a place.

Welcome quinngel!  Do a search and I am sure you will find some info suited to your needs.  I myself prefer the more laid back atmosphere of the Visayas and generally avoid Manila like the plague.

robal wrote:

Hello! I´m new to this forum and I´m curious as to how Americans are enjoying and adopting to the
Filipino way of life!

Glad to be here!

Welcome to the forum robal!  Just as everyone is different their enjoyment and adaptation will each be unique.  Adaptations vary from attempts to full integration to importing the existing lifestyle from home country.

Finding a location that is desirable to your wants and needs is key and can affect your adaptation along with your expectations. 

Money also comes into play, for instance if you want a high-end condo and enjoy the big city nightlife along with dining out and dating frequently in say Makati don't expect to be very happy trying to live on $1000 or maybe even $2000US/month. 

Best to try and figure out what you want/expect first and give that info as guidelines for feedback, the information then will be more useful to you.

And as others have said before, boots on the ground is invaluable.  My first visit ended up making a list of places I don't want to be.

Hobbit112 wrote:
robal wrote:

Filipino way of life!

Glad to be here!

Welcome to the forum robal!  Just as everyone is different their enjoyment and adaptation will each be unique.  Adaptations vary from attempts to full integration to importing the existing lifestyle from home country.

Finding a location that is desirable to your wants and needs is key and can affect your adaptation along with your expectations. 

Money also comes into play, for instance if you want a high-end condo and enjoy the big city nightlife along with dining out and dating frequently in say Makati don't expect to be very happy trying to live on $1000 or maybe even $2000US/month. 

Best to try and figure out what you want/expect first and give that info as guidelines for feedback, the information then will be more useful to you.

And as others have said before, boots on the ground is invaluable.  My first visit ended up making a list of places I don't want to be.

Is Panay very peaceful without Muslim insurgencies? How do they treat foreigners especially Americans?

robal

Muslim insurgencies?  The only issue I know of with the Muslims is in Mindanao, and I was there a month ago and had a wonderful time.  Just like anywhere, you treat people with respect and they do the same with you.  There are ways to improve your success with this;  don't show off, don't wear fancy clothes, jewelry, etc., don't talk politics and religion.  All of these things potentially can get you in trouble, and not just with Muslims or Filipinos.

Panay is nice for me but I enjoy the simple life.

robal wrote:

Filipino way of life!

Glad to be here!

Perhaps if you could tell us why you are quitting Brazil it could add some insight into what you seek.  Inflation in the Philippines is nothing like the current situation in Brazil.  Do you expect to work?  Do you speak any foreign languages?  Welcome to the Philippines.

mugtech wrote:
robal wrote:

Filipino way of life!

Glad to be here!

Perhaps if you could tell us why you are quitting Brazil it could add some insight into what you seek.  Inflation in the Philippines is nothing like the current situation in Brazil.  Do you expect to work?  Do you speak any foreign languages?  Welcome to the Philippines.

Thanks! I speak fluently 4  languages (Spanish, Portuguese, English, Tagalog and (3 dialects) and a little of 3 more. I´m retired US military and an investor. I don´t plan to work and I enjoy the adventure.

I´m not quitting Brazil - yet. There is a plan by the current Bolsonaro administration to create a new currency due to the devaluation of the real. They usually equate the new currency 1:1 ratio with the dollar as they have done in the past from cruzeiros to real.

I´m researching ahead of time so that if that event happens I´m ready for it. I´m also looking at other European countries like Portugal, Italy and Norway. I´ve been stationed also in Europe when I was active duty military so I know well what I´m looking for.

robal

mugtech wrote:
Greenjacket2588 wrote:

Hi All,

Currently looking to move to the Philippines, and am looking to build a house in Vigan, where my wife has some land. Just wondering if there were many ex pats around Vigan.
If so would love to know your thoughts on Vigan. I have been there a few times but only as a tourist.

Regards
Frank

Beautiful Spanish city, we live about 25 minutes South in Santa.  Most things required can be purchased in Vigan, it is our destination about once a week.  There is a group of expats locally, some fellow 'Canos, a few ex-military Brits, couple of Aussies, a Canadian and a Dane.  All have Filipina wives.  Let us know when you will be in town, you will be welcomed into the group.

I have known Vigan, Caoayan, Santa about 23 years back. You must now speak Ilocano which is one of the dialects I learned to speak. I stayed at an old Spanish hotel in Vigan. Then I took the calesa (horse driven) to Fuerte and then took a boat to Puro. I crossed again from Puro going to Santa. I remember Bantay Gusing (a mountain) watching over Santa.

So you must have learned to eat Pinakbet with the Bagnet bought at the public market in Vigan. Is that public market that sell a lot of fish still exist in Santa?

robal

gordy5938 wrote:

Hi! Im a vet. I deal with the VA here quite a bit if you need any help!

Hi there! I´m retired US military and I´m curious if there´s a VA hospital in Manila that can take care of
US veterans´needs - from minor health care issues to a major hospitalization. Do they also take care of
retired US military dependents?

robal

kaitangsou wrote:

Manila is one of the cities with the worst quality of life...

Why do you say so?

GuestPoster5891 wrote:

Why it is so difficult for you to cancel my account? I am in other forum and no more interested by expatcom. I sent you so many mail, so do your job!

Once a member will always be a member! Semper Fidelis!

Adrian7878 wrote:

Been to Pasay twice.... never into Manila.

They glued to each other....

mugtech wrote:
W9XR wrote:

Save your money, many Canadians (Snow Birds) go to Arizona for the winter. Fly many hours to the Philippines or four hours to Arizona, you can even drive there. Arizona weather is much better,

Then again Arizona has many Americans living there.

I left the US because of that.  :lol:

Neville2012 wrote:

Hi I'm Neville  I am British and me and my Filipino girlfriend have a 16 mouth old daughter and wondering if my daughter can get a British passport  as I am a british citizen I have been reading I can hand down my citizenship to my daughter and how do I do that would be much appreciated if someone can help me let me know how thank you very much

You daughter is British per Jus sanguinis. You should register her as a British citizen and get her passport... If she was born in England - through Jus soli can also qualify her but with conditions...

robal wrote:

I have known Vigan, Caoayan, Santa about 23 years back. You must now speak Ilocano which is one of the dialects I learned to speak. I stayed at an old Spanish hotel in Vigan. Then I took the calesa (horse driven) to Fuerte and then took a boat to Puro. I crossed again from Puro going to Santa. I remember Bantay Gusing (a mountain) watching over Santa.

So you must have learned to eat Pinakbet with the Bagnet bought at the public market in Vigan. Is that public market that sell a lot of fish still exist in Santa?

robal

Plenty of fish and other seafood available in Santa and in Vigan, have had plenty of pinakbet to eat.  My life is easier not speaking Ilocano or Tagalog, excludes me from family "discussions".

:lol:

mugtech wrote:
robal wrote:

robal

Plenty of fish and other seafood available in Santa and in Vigan, have had plenty of pinakbet to eat.  My life is easier not speaking Ilocano or Tagalog, excludes me from family "discussions".

Sir, I can assure you that living near your girlfriend's family is not a good idea. Take your lovely away to another island to settle down. You will,  my I repeat will be feeding, clothing, taking care of medical expenses and rendering cash donations that you will never see again.  I'm not a bitter expat and I have done the same. She will follow you, trust me. Good luck.

Best advice is to stay away from Manila!  Hahaa... sorry.  So overcrowded... Of course I find Dasmariñas overcrowded also... where my fiancee is.  I plan to move us down to the Tagaytay area this next year... still within an hour for parents to visit, but farther away and a bit cooler from the crowded Dasmariñas area.  I rented an apartment for us now just outside the city.  Renting a house or apartment was a bit frustrating to me.  Contacting the owners or caretakers took twice the time, and the answer was always tomorrow.  Half the rental houses I wanted to see were still occupied, so couldn't see inside... I would guess hiring a realtor to find something in Manila would be a good idea.  Let them deal with the owners, and you just show up to see places. I would also REALLY suggest starting with and air bnb for a month in the Makati area to get your feet wet first also.  Make sure you like it.

In the 1.5 years they still have not asked for money.  I do give my fiancee an allowance of 5000p every 2 weeks, and I know she does give money to her sister, brother, and helps her parents with it, but that is her choice.  It is a small amount.  She is also very enterprising with it... she gives small loans out to her friends, and they pay her back with interest... I have been impressed with her handling of money.  But... I do hear you, and do plan to move us farther away so it is a little harder to have the drop ins as frequently as I have seen.  I like company sometimes, but not ALWAYS... lol... Its all good!  I am still amazed every day how blessed I am to be with my gorgeous loving, young filipina fiancee... She spoils me to death!  So awsome!  Cheers!!!

Hello All,

My name is Rajesh & I have Just joined Expat.com. I'm 49 now & come from vibrant city called Mumbai, India.

I'm a Strategic Business Consultant serving the M&A, Business Development, Operations, Recruitment domain for business engagements in the Oil & Gas, BPO/Call Center, Engineering sector. Have traveled to most of the Gulf & part of APAC region with good connect with large business houses & clients. I'd served couple of clients in the Philippines as well, precisely in Makati & Batangas City (both were Call Center clients).

I'm planning to move to the Philippines. To help this move, I'm exploring some business consulting / on board opportunities with the local companies / business establishments / individual business owners to assist them in the areas of my expertise or any other suitable options that I can serve for.

Valuable suggestions / advise / connect from the Expat.com members are welcome & much appreciated.

Look forward to connect with the fellow members.

Thanks & regards. 
Rajesh

Welcome.

Thanks

Hello lovely people :)

We hope everybody is doing great and having a beautiful life :)
We are a family of 5. A married couple and 3 little boys. Our plan is to move for good to the Philippines after have been living in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain. Our project is to start a Wonderfull Eco-farm with respect for nature and the animals. The project will also have some rooms where people can overnight , get cooking lesson , work on the land , get some lessons about Yoga , Tai chi and meditation. We are looking for people who are interested to start this project with us. We have already some beautiful Philippine friends who also want to go for this and reduce our footprint on Mother Earth and move more :)

So if you have more questions just ask :)

Have a lovely day you all
We wish you all the best,
God bless you

Namasté

So if your wife was not born in the Philippines how will you purchase a farm?  Have you ever been to the Philippines?  Where do you intend to start this project?

Milenco And Priscilla wrote:

Hello lovely people :)

We hope everybody is doing great and having a beautiful life :)
We are a family of 5. A married couple and 3 little boys. Our plan is to move for good to the Philippines after have been living in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain. Our project is to start a Wonderfull Eco-farm with respect for nature and the animals. The project will also have some rooms where people can overnight , get cooking lesson , work on the land , get some lessons about Yoga , Tai chi and meditation. We are looking for people who are interested to start this project with us. We have already some beautiful Philippine friends who also want to go for this and reduce our footprint on Mother Earth and move more :)

So if you have more questions just ask :)

Have a lovely day you all
We wish you all the best,
God bless you

Namasté

Welcome. I wish you all success with your farm!

Yes we have been many time to the philippines. We have choosen palawan because if concept of biodiversity and that they want to become zero waiste and we support this and want to be part of it. No my wife isnt philippines but that doesnt matter if you believe in your dreams and goals you will make them happen. And about the land thats no problem , there are so many ways 😊

I wish you a lot of success, but stay grounded and avoid the many scam to come... A Japanese friend had the same kind of idea in Palawan. After spending a lot of dollars he decided to give up, essentially because of the land. He was very enthusiastic at the beginning. It is difficult if your spouse is not Filipino but not impossible of course

geolefrench wrote:

I wish you a lot of success, but stay grounded and avoid the many scam to come... A Japanese friend had the same kind of idea in Palawan. After spending a lot of dollars he decided to give up, essentially because of the land. He was very enthusiastic at the beginning. It is difficult if your spouse is not Filipino but not impossible of course

They can always lease the land and with a Filipino partner that should be possible.

robal wrote:

They can always lease the land and with a Filipino partner that should be possible.

What could go wrong?

mugtech wrote:
robal wrote:

What could go wrong?

Well, "too many cooks spoil the broth."  :D

Hi, I have read you are experiencing diabetes type 2. i suggest you plant insulin plan. this will be very helpful to you. we have it in our backyard though. in cebu

How much will a 1/2 horse air con cost running it about 10 hours each day?  Anyone?  We have a small 1 bedroom apartment with an opening for one in the bedroom.  We have been using a fan which is o.k... but I would definitely sleep better with an air con.  Any suggestions on brand?

Per month for power... any educated guesses out their?  We are in Dasmariñas.

Our average power bill has been 1500p with 2 fans running about 15 - 20 hours daily, and I bought her a washing machine, and just lights (nothing), and stove top(electric)... so not much... I am thinking an air con will about double our power... so 3000p a month?  Still pretty good... hahaa... only 60 bucks.  But not sure on that...

Wellsfry wrote:

How much will a 1/2 horse air con cost running it about 10 hours each day?  Anyone?  We have a small 1 bedroom apartment with an opening for one in the bedroom.  We have been using a fan which is o.k... but I would definitely sleep better with an air con.  Any suggestions on brand?

Gotta wonder how effective it will be since many buildings here use hollow block, looks like insulation is non existent, tin roofs hold a lot of heat.

Closed