New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Philippines forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Philippines if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Thanks for having me & Greetings Everyone.

I am a 55 yr old Singaporean  (Semi-Retired) and moved to the Philippines sometime in Apr'2019.
I hv worked in various Singapore (MNC's) for over 30yrs in the OGC industry...well that's till I got retrenced in late 2018.
(It was not easy getting back close to my last drawn salary in Singapore so I had to get out!)
Lucky for me I had applied for my SRRV philippine Visa some 5yrs prior to my retrenchment ("smelled a rat"...some would say!....hahaha) & this is my safe home for now.
Anyways life is quite boaring here in Surigao City (a 3rd Class Province) and I keep mainly to myself with my partner kids & family while watching my expenses...hahaha!! Looking to pick up playing the Electric Guitar sometime but am unable to find a coach as yet.
Thanks again & pse feel free to share your comments.

Hi,is there any small condo for rent in bgc tgauig owner here.Will be in Tagguig by March I would like to rent directly to the owner maybe it's not too pricey .Thank you and best regards.

Hello everyone and welcome on board.

@ Chonabonaobra, feel free to drop an advert in the Housing in the Philippines section of the website to receive some offers.

Regards
Bhavna

Hi Bhavna;

Thanks for the invite.

Hope to chat up wif some expats especially those living in the Surigao City area, any referals would be appreciated..I have seen quite a few walking around, but never really got to say hi...except for my immediate neighbour whom is Dutch(great guy) and another Australian whom I've yet to meet/chat & whom is building a 3 storey home jus behind my home, both of whom I presume drop by once/twice a year for max 1week at a time at least for now.

Thanks again

Just joined today hoping to meet new friends before I retire and move to the Philippines in the fall of 2020

bpfoflygen wrote:

Just joined today hoping to meet new friends before I retire and move to the Philippines in the fall of 2020

Welcome to expat.com.  There are plenty of threads on here about many topics, but please let's us know your experience, if any, in the Philippines and what you need to know, where you are headed.  Nice to think you are spending your last winter in Pittsburgh, PA.  Good luck.

manwonder wrote:

Hi Bhavna;

Thanks for the invite.

Hope to chat up wif some expats especially those living in the Surigao City area, any referals would be appreciated..I have seen quite a few walking around, but never really got to say hi...except for my immediate neighbour whom is Dutch(great guy) and another Australian whom I've yet to meet/chat & whom is building a 3 storey home jus behind my home, both of whom I presume drop by once/twice a year for max 1week at a time at least for now.

Thanks again

Hi and and a late welcome manwonder, just saw this thread and I'm sure you are doing well but only an observation from my lowly perspective, never assume anything in PH. neighbours included.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Hi Bhavna;

Thanks for the invite.

Thanks again

Hi and and a late welcome manwonder, just saw this thread and I'm sure you are doing well but only an observation from my lowly perspective, never assume anything in PH. neighbours included.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks bigpearl/Steve as always; :thanks:
Its been great fun for me so far.
Great bunch of guys with lots of in-depth knowledge/know how in our on-line community and am indeed grateful for that!..maybe not so for a certain neighbour!  :sick
Thanks again guys for the continued support!
:D:thanks::thanks::D

manwonder wrote:
bigpearl wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Hi Bhavna;

Thanks for the invite.

Thanks again

Cheers, Steve.

Great bunch of guys with lots of in-depth knowledge/know how in our on-line community and am indeed grateful for that!..maybe not so for a certain neighbour!  :sick

Time to let that go and move on, focus on your family and stop being an aunty Dory/busy body.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:
manwonder wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

Time to let that go and move on, focus on your family and stop being an aunty Dory/busy body.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks bigpearl/Steve;

Wise words & have learnt to let go! ...but will watch out for his safety! :cool:

Have a good one!

I'm from the US and have been working abroad most of my career, first in US military and then 20 of the last 23 years in China.  My China life has led me to visiting the Philippines and seeing many locations for scuba diving, and I feel like it is a place I would enjoy living in retirement.

Retirement is still 5-6 years away, I likely will retire at 65, and then work PT for my current employer in China on a consultant basis, which will bring in about as much as my retirement check, and only require me to travel to China every other month for 2-3 weeks. 

I have some big projects that are going on and will not finish until I turn 62, but it's possible that I might begin retirement and the consulting as early as 3 years from now, depending on how savings and the final retirement calculations for SSN.

I think I am inclined to find somewhere in the Cebu City, Panglao, and Dumagette ‘triangle', I see this as the hub for the majority of my retirement diving.  I'll still travel to other locations, but all these can be reached by a day boat. 

I'm in relatively good health, need to lose a little weight to make sure I stay that way.

I guess my questions would be oriented to:

1) what people would suggest on timing for getting my SRRV with military accommodation?
2) given the area I'm thinking about, would you live in Cebu? Or in the provinces near Bohol/Panlao, or even down in Dumagette?
3) would you just rent? Our plan is really to be in Philippines mostly October to May each year, and then go back to US and enjoy our little mountain home until snow arrives.
4) I'm not married to a Filipina, so buying isn't likely, I'm not keen to condo living, but maybe there are some projects that are relatively ‘local' style, in the areas I mention.
5) we are budgeting for about $2500 a month when we retire, this allows us to travel a little, pay for airfare, have a maid/cook (yes, we have been spoiled by living in China).  Seems from general comments I've read, the budget is more than enough.
6) how hard is it to find reliable used vehicles? I never buy new.

Just some general questions, we are working on our plans, hope to make more detailed visits to the areas we have already visited with a mind toward living in them long term.

Any thoughts or answers appreciated.

Greetings Phatexpat and welcome to the forum.  No sense being anything but a tourist since you will be headed back to the USA every year plus your trips to China.  We come every October and leave again in April, prefer to miss May, just too hot.  Renting sounds right for you, buying into a condo is fraught with problems.  We are on Luzon and have a house as my wife is a dual citizen, so I have balikbayan status, never deal with immigration.  We live in Ilocos Sur on Luzon, can't suggest anything for your chosen area.  Good luck.

That's what I need to hear.

I also know that some people who have a plan like mine go home and just never come back for whatever reason. I'm sure they opposite is true. 

Any thoughts on how hard it is to find a reliable storage location to put up appliances and household items that you'll use year after year for 6 months?

I'm assuming that being a ‘tourist' will cost more if you rely on furnished housing with appliances?

PhatExpat wrote:

That's what I need to hear.

I also know that some people who have a plan like mine go home and just never come back for whatever reason. I'm sure they opposite is true. 

Any thoughts on how hard it is to find a reliable storage location to put up appliances and household items that you'll use year after year for 6 months?

I'm assuming that being a ‘tourist' will cost more if you rely on furnished housing with appliances?

That is probably true.  You need to do some boots on the ground and networking the next couple years to get an idea of what is available, who you can trust.  Not having a Filipina spouse and not speaking the local language will be a real challenge.  It would be helpful to meet expats in your area of choice, You could start a new thread on here asking exactly who meets where and when.  We have a group here in Ilocos that meets once a month, first time I met them was by chance at the local cemetery on All Saints Day.

In the process of relocating to Davao. I am married to a Filipino and we have two daughters, a two year old and a five year old. The first girl was born in Davao and we lived there for eleven months before returning to the US. My wife and two daughters are presently in Bislig staying with family. She has been to Manila and taken care of immigration for the three of them, they will all have dual citizenship. She was about to travel to Davao to find a place to live when covid 19 restricted all travel. I am still in the US waiting to ship boxes of personal belongings. For now it's a matter of waiting until she can travel.

Hi my wife is in Manilla born northern samar .i would like to retire phillipines at least semi retire .what type visa I need .im senior citizen as well 60 years old

Welcome to the forum Ejjurich. Good luck with the move.

Jojovenezia wrote:

Hi my wife is in Manilla born northern samar .i would like to retire phillipines at least semi retire .what type visa I need .im senior citizen as well 60 years old

Welcome Jojovenezia, there are lots of posts on this topic, you can do a search. Best to come on a normal tourist visa for the first few trips to check things out. Then there is the SRRV and other longer term visas.

PhatExpat wrote:

I'm from the US and have been working abroad most of my career, first in US military and then 20 of the last 23 years in China.  My China life has led me to visiting the Philippines and seeing many locations for scuba diving, and I feel like it is a place I would enjoy living in retirement.

Retirement is still 5-6 years away, I likely will retire at 65, and then work PT for my current employer in China on a consultant basis, which will bring in about as much as my retirement check, and only require me to travel to China every other month for 2-3 weeks. 

I have some big projects that are going on and will not finish until I turn 62, but it's possible that I might begin retirement and the consulting as early as 3 years from now, depending on how savings and the final retirement calculations for SSN.

I think I am inclined to find somewhere in the Cebu City, Panglao, and Dumagette ‘triangle', I see this as the hub for the majority of my retirement diving.  I'll still travel to other locations, but all these can be reached by a day boat. 

I'm in relatively good health, need to lose a little weight to make sure I stay that way.

1) what people would suggest on timing for getting my SRRV with military accommodation?
2) given the area I'm thinking about, would you live in Cebu? Or in the provinces near Bohol/Panlao, or even down in Dumagette?
3) would you just rent? Our plan is really to be in Philippines mostly October to May each year, and then go back to US and enjoy our little mountain home until snow arrives.
4) I'm not married to a Filipina, so buying isn't likely, I'm not keen to condo living, but maybe there are some projects that are relatively ‘local' style, in the areas I mention.
5) we are budgeting for about $2500 a month when we retire, this allows us to travel a little, pay for airfare, have a maid/cook (yes, we have been spoiled by living in China).  Seems from general comments I've read, the budget is more than enough.

Just some general questions, we are working on our plans, hope to make more detailed visits to the areas we have already visited with a mind toward living in them long term.

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with the visa situation but can help with area recommendations.

I live in Cebu 6 months out of the year (give or take). It is a crowded, polluted city but the kids are in good schools which is the only reason we're still there. Traffic horribly congested at most times of day now.

I personally really like Panglao, especially some of the quieter neighborhoods on the side facing Cebu. I lived there for a few months in 2016 and it was idyllic. I biked around the island for exercise, ate in the many nice little restaurants, etc. Alona Beach is pretty crowded, I would avoid that area personally. And the new international airport has raised real estate prices significantly.

Bohol would be a nice choice - a little more native, and most everything is available in Tagbilaran. Dumaguete is crowded with expats and the city traffic is bad with corresponding noise and pollution, on a much smaller scale than Cebu though.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hallo fellow foreigners here in The Philippines :)

Me and my Pinay wife left South Africa July 2019 and been staying here in Davao city for 11 months already. Almost a year now. Regarding business we had the idea of putting up a coffee shop but unfortunately it did'nt work out as planned due to several reasons. I love coffee. But due to the climate and weather coffee is not in demand. Currently we are still here on savings and still trying to figure out what type of business or job to do to generate some income.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Warm regards.

Gideon

Gideon Kriel wrote:

Hallo fellow foreigners here in The Philippines :)

I love coffee. But due to the climate and weather coffee is not in demand.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Warm regards.

Gideon

My stepsons love Starbucks, I guess having an Expat Stepdad & Filipina Mom who supported them for 11 years while we lived in the states gave them Champaign taste. I think besides their Champaign tastes, their image and self esteem played a large part.

The only Starbucks (bottled) I've ever  bought was in the supermarket. Back in the States I often seen the younger crowd with their laptops at Starbucks. (I suppose every now and then they put down their coffee and join what protest is popular at the time).

Now in the Philippines I make a big pot of percolated coffee every morning. Its expensive about 944 PHP for Folgers (3 lbs 2 oz). Every now and then I make a pot to make into ice coffee. (Folgers + Coffee Mate + Splenda).

Now to the point of responding to your post. My Stepsons, the Starbucks faux elitist, just love my iced coffee, better than their Starbucks.

So if I had wanted to get in the coffee business, I would:

(1) Open up around a college campus or a call center (Call Centers run 24/7).
(2) Hot & Iced Coffee and your own version of a limited  Cinnabons menu.
(3) Sell the image, to go with your coffee.
(4) Specialize in takeouts.

So now I welcome you to the Forum,

Hey I have an idea: Name your new business "The Forum Coffee Shoppe".

Enzyte Bob

PhatExpat wrote:

If it was me I would move to Bohol on the eastern part of the island over by Anda it is very nice and quiet.  Also Bohol has a lot to offer for scuba diving and things like that. Cebu is far to crowded to my liking.  for getting a house if you don't have a wife there are is only one option and that is to rent.  Unless your a trusting person and find another foreigner that has a wife and get a lawyer and you can purchase that way.  but there is a lot of legal involved in that.  2500 is plenty to live off of.  for a extremely nice rental and full made service will cost you around 1000 a month. The good thing about buying used vehicles in the Philippines is that Filipinos take extremely good care of their cars.  but only buy in large cities and take a local friend with you.  you will be charged more.  Now this is all my opinions and from my experiences while living here for 4+ years.

Thank you very much Enzyte Bob for your message, advice and input  :)
Warm regards :)
Greetings from Davao city :)

I agree! I like Alano and Panglao beaches and airport is right there! Dauis area is nice and straight shot to Tagbilaran!

Hello.  My name is Ed, and I am 53.  I currently live in Hayward, California and work in Oakland.  I have been travelling the world for the past few years looking for a good retirement spot.  When I made it to the Philippines, stayed for a month and fell in love with a filipina.  Got her a K! and she currently lives with me and we are married.  I was divided between Belize, Costa Rica and Philippines.  My wife says Philippines, so probably there.  Anyways, I am retiring in 9 more years and would be looking for something near the beach, but not in a community.  I do not want to be burdened with HOA's.  Get enough of that shit here.  I want to live on or near a beach, nut also near a hospital since i have some health issues.  So my question is, does anyone have any location suggestions in the Philippines, and how does health insurance work.,  I am a total newb and am just getting my feet wet at this point, but may be buying some property in 2022, 7 years before my move.  Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Ed and welcome to the forum, lots of info here if you have a look.
Wow that's a long term plan, 9 years.
Only an observation but given you are both thinking about the Philippines I would have thought your wife would have a preference to be close to her family unless you want to negotiate some distance rules  as many do including myself, we are 30-35 minutes drive to family so we rarely see them here, we visit them. Many expats choose to live hours away, even another island.
We are absolute beachfront, large lots with mostly expats that keep to themselves, 4 kilometres to local market and shops, 25 minutes to a great hospital, 30 minutes to malls,,,,,,,, but 5 hours drive from Manila.

Plan well, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

Thank you Steve.  She is from Misamis Oriental, and the beaches near her family are not the best.  I am definitely thinking hours away or another island.  Thanks for the welcome!  I look forward to picking all of your brains on info.  Much better to go educated.  Did you buy or build your own home?

raider32assassin wrote:

Thank you Steve.  She is from Misamis Oriental, and the beaches near her family are not the best.  I am definitely thinking hours away or another island.  Thanks for the welcome!  I look forward to picking all of your brains on info.  Much better to go educated.  Did you buy or build your own home?

Hours away? What does the boss think about that? I'm sure you guys have worked that out but,,,,,,,,6,7,8 years on? We have not been to the area your mentioned but from years on forums sounds like a safe area. We purchased from a Canadian that built the house about 10 years ago, 3 bed, 2 bath and in the meantime we are renovating and extending but no hurry as it's very liveable. I worked 2 X 6 month contracts, a condo in Manila for 12 months after that, before we relocated back to Oz  and spent plenty of time travelling back and forward looking and learning. Some years looking at property until we found and purchased here 3+ years ago, Moved in 14 months ago and still learning.

Have you spent any/much time here? The longer the better before committing.

Cheers, Steve.

raider32assassin wrote:

Hello.  My name is Ed, and I am 53.  I currently live in Hayward, California and work in Oakland.  I have been travelling the world for the past few years looking for a good retirement spot.  When I made it to the Philippines, stayed for a month and fell in love with a filipina.  Got her a K! and she currently lives with me and we are married.  I was divided between Belize, Costa Rica and Philippines.  My wife says Philippines, so probably there.  Anyways, I am retiring in 9 more years and would be looking for something near the beach, but not in a community.  I do not want to be burdened with HOA's.  Get enough of that shit here.  I want to live on or near a beach, nut also near a hospital since i have some health issues.  So my question is, does anyone have any location suggestions in the Philippines, and how does health insurance work.,  I am a total newb and am just getting my feet wet at this point, but may be buying some property in 2022, 7 years before my move.  Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Hello Ed, welcome to the forum. I grew up in San Carlos, just the other side of the San Mateo Bridge, haha. No surprise your woman prefers the Philippines. I have found most Filipinos prefer their own culture. I personally love Costa RIca (cleaner and more sustainable) so would probably vote for that, lol.

Not many HOA's in the Philippines except subdivisions in and around the larger cities. Don't automatically rule those out - sometimes there are good reasons for them - so you can get some basic enforcement of practical standards like not dumping trash, having dog poop everywhere, perhaps some noise enforcement.  I suspect if you spent some time here you would understand what I'm talking about. I have been through it all, lol. One reason I keep my options open for other places. In any case it is best if you spend some time here as Steve mentioned.

I would also suggest that you try to get the health issues under control if possible, as I have found health care to be hit or miss, especially outside of the larger cities, where it can be excellent. You can live a very healthy lifestyle outside of the bigger cities but getting to a hospital takes a lot of time in that case, especially if you are an island away or rely on a provincial highway, which will be very slow going. No helicopter gonna scoop you up after dialing 911, lol.

Greetings all. Visited the Philippines in February just before the Covid and fell in love with the country and the people. Visited Manilla, Cebu and Palawan. Planned on returning in May but due to Covid have had to change my plans. In the process of turning my business in Arizona over to my daughter and heading back first chance I can. Look forward to retirement in Carcar area.

Welcome to the forum Mhammond40.

bigpearl wrote:
raider32assassin wrote:

Hours away? What does the boss think about that? I'm sure you guys have worked that out but,,,,,,,,6,7,8 years on? We have not been to the area your mentioned but from years on forums sounds like a safe area. We purchased from a Canadian that built the house about 10 years ago, 3 bed, 2 bath and in the meantime we are renovating and extending but no hurry as it's very liveable. I worked 2 X 6 month contracts, a condo in Manila for 12 months after that, before we relocated back to Oz  and spent plenty of time travelling back and forward looking and learning. Some years looking at property until we found and purchased here 3+ years ago, Moved in 14 months ago and still learning.

Have you spent any/much time here? The longer the better before committing.

Cheers, Steve.

Yes.  I spent a month and a half there.  Fell in love and brought my wife here just before Covid hit.  I have been traveling the world looking for a place to retire to, and I just fell in love with the Philippines.  The people are so kind, and most can speak my language.  I am going again in 2022 for another month, and will probably do the same until I retire in 9 years.  I am hoping to already have purchased a place by then and have it move in ready when I retire.  Since my wife is Philippines, we can buy land and not just the home.

When you moved, how did you get your stuff from Oz?  did you just start fresh, or did you rent a container?  And if you did rent a container, how much was the cost?  Any information is good information, and I thank you for any you provide.

Raider, we moved a full shipping container door to door, 9 tons all up and cost AU $8,500.00 including full insurance, There is a lot to look into before you decide to go this way, value of the goods you want to send v replacing here, taxes and exemptions, voltage differences, climate differences etc.
We only sent electronics, tools and equipment that ran 50/60 Hertz and of course all the furniture etc we needed/wanted to keep.
Replaced refrigerator/freezer, washing machine and dryer, M/wave, pedestal fans.

For us it was well worth it but you have to do your own sums and source costs from where you live now to where you intend to live in PH.
We utilised the returning Filipino living abroad for 5 years and paid no duties or taxes.
As you are married to a local you shouldn't have tax problems.

Given your retirement plans are 9 years down the track you have plenty of time to research and travel back to check things out in more depth.
Good luck and enjoy the forum.

Cheers, Steve.

Hello guys

I am a Spanish guy married to Filipino woman and we moved here on November 2019 with our little son.

We live in Bacoor so feel free to pm if someone drop by there then we might take a couple of beers!

Best regards

Welcome Alberto1988.
In am in Cebu but will have a beer in your honour.
regards  Bruce

HI, I am Dave from USA. I am planning on relocating to Surigao City with Siargao Island eventually becoming my final destination. I have been trying to teach myself acoustic guitar but I also need a teacher. I turn 62 in February 2021, I will then be eligible for social security. I am also new to this site and have many things to learn. It was nice to hear from someone with similar interests and lifestyle.

DukeStamina wrote:

HI, I am Dave from USA. I am planning on relocating to Surigao City with Siargao Island eventually becoming my final destination. I have been trying to teach myself acoustic guitar but I also need a teacher. I turn 62 in February 2021, I will then be eligible for social security. I am also new to this site and have many things to learn. It was nice to hear from someone with similar interests and lifestyle.

Welcome, Dave, hopefully you will find the information you need on this site, and if not, just ask.  It would be helpful if you could tell us about yourself and your experiences, if any, in the Philippines.  Why the Philippines?  Why Surigao City?

Welcome Alberto, welcome Dave!

Just read your post with a lot of interest and would like to both follow your thread and add you as a friend to keep in touch. Will send you a private message.

Closed