No more alien card/registration for tourists?

My wife and I just got back from Nyayo House having been told that "policy" has changed and it is no longer possible to apply for an Alien Card as tourists (ie holding Visitors' Visas).

This is somewhat aggravating as we had been very dutiful tourists and followed the guidance on the eFNS website (which still says that after 90 days in the Country one MUST apply for an Alien Card) and completed, printed AND PAID FOR two applications for the sum of 4130 kes.

At the counter we were referred to a manager who stated point blank that we could not apply for an alien card without a residence document and helpfully suggested that we write to the Director of Immigration about a refund of our money.  I asked him what would happen if a police officer asked us for our Alien Cards on the basis of us having been here for more than 90 days, as I understood that such was a legal requirement.  His answer was rather vague, something about secret laws and he then gave us a 1 month extension on our tourist visas saying something about terrorism and security.  Looks like we now have the joy of Nyayo house to endure on a monthly basis!

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Nothing has changed as far as I am aware, but you can't apply in person.  You must do the application and payment online:

https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/fns/fns/

It appears that increasingly single entry visas are only being granted for one month.  Lots of visitors are commenting on this.  I have just entered Kenya and was granted the usual 90 days, but my 'immigration contact' informed me that immigration officers are increasingly assessing applicants and making decisions based on their circumstances are reasons for visiting Kenya.  In my case, my wife is a dual citizen and immigration are aware of my circumstances and regular visits to Kenya.  This would tend to make a positive difference for me.

What makes you think that Nyayo House will agree to extend it to a total of 6 months?  I think that you should be prepared that this may not be agreed.

Whatever you do, don't overstay for any reason.  You will be arrested on departure.

Since my post on Thursday I have been reading about the new NIIMS digital identity card which will apparently be a requirement for "all Kenyan Citizens and Foreign Nationals in Kenya".  Can't quite believe that they are going to seek registration for a tourist who comes for a week on safari, but that is what it says.

If that is the case, it would explain why they may have given up on the Alien Card for tourists between 3 and 6 months in the country.

I realise that you have to make the application and payment onlne.  That is what is so annoying -  the eFNS system was quite happy to take my application, and money - only to be told at Nyayo House, that they were not going to process the application.

Of course, Longonot you are right that there is no obligation for immigration to extend a visa at all.  Happily, by the time our current extension expires, I hope to be in possession of a special pass.

I also realise that on another day at Nyayo House, they may just process our application without a problem.  That's why I posted on here to see if others had had the same experience.

<<I have been reading about the new NIIMS digital identity card which will apparently be a requirement for "all Kenyan Citizens and Foreign Nationals in Kenya".  Can't quite believe that they are going to seek registration for a tourist who comes for a week on safari, but that is what it says.>>

I believe that this has everything to do with security and attempting to reduce the risk of terrorist activity.

You realise that a Special Pass is valid for 3 months and renewable for a further 3 months - like a single entry visa, with benefits?

I believe that in common with countries such as the UK, visa and ID application fees are non refundable, even if the application fails.