Internet life in France - is there any?

I am in France for about two weeks and haven't made many friends yet. Naturally, I am looking for the local internet resources: forums, dating sites, online journals, blogging communities (in English or French)

I will appreciate, if somebody shares his/her knowledge or directs me to something like "expatriate guide to French internet." I think many would find such information useful, since the popularity of social networks varies significantly with geografic location and language.

Thanks,
Vadim.

Hi Vadim!

In which city are you staying?
Why don't you go out and meet people ?
You should browse the forum and check out the next Expat.com meeting in your area or why not organising an event yourself ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand,

I am in Bordeaux... it seems that there are few ex-patriates here... at least on this forum.

But my question still remains: I am sure that there is very active internet life in France - like in other countries. And many expatriates (especially young people) could use some guidance/suggestions.

Regards, Vadim.

Take a look at Facebook,there seems to be several groups for expats.
This is one of them: facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2675970800&v=wall

Thanks Talatta,

This really helps!
But I am also interested in getting in touch with real French (other than my co-workers and those with whom I interact in stores/restaurants.)...

My French is poor - but there is no better way to learn than trying to communicate - and in the internet one can communicate on may subjects and expand vocabulary.

I moved your thread on the Bordeaux forum for better visibility ;)
I hope you will obtain positive responses soon!

Regards
Armand

Here are the internet resources that I have researched so far:

1. Dating sites are usually a good way to make friends (if you are not too obsessed with dating only). Unfortunately, in France one usually has to pay for subscription - this is the case with Zoosk.com and meetic.fr And even if you are ready to spend money, the other party may be unable to answer your messages, if they do not buy subscription as well.

2. OKcupid.com is free and more suitable for making friends. Unfortunately, there are too few people from Bordeaux area there.

3. It seems that in France the internet forums are a good way to get to know somebody and obtain the information. I haven't found local forums in English, but forum.doctissimo.fr has regional forums with many participants. Someone also recommended to me bordeaux.onvasortir.com

4. I still haven't found any online journal community similar to livejournal or openjournal.