Pregnant Girlfriend without citizenship

Hi guys/girls

Basically I have a partner who is pregnant, she's lived in the Uk since she was 2years old and was born in jersey. Her parents are Portuguese. We where just about to pay the home office £1330 for her it have citizenship even tho she has provided them with all her school/doctors records to prove she's lived in the Uk for this long. But we have just found out she is pregnant. Will this help her with citizenship? I've tried to google it but nothing is too clear

Thanks
Richie

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Difficult one this; mainly because Jersey is a Crown dependency and not governed wholly by the UK (it has its own government) - so the normal rules may not apply.  It is also not a member of the EU and UK citizens born there do not have the EU right of movement (they also have different UK passports).

Also, citizenship in the UK depends on the nationality of the baby's parents at birth, so unless her parents have done something in the meantime and assuming she is now over 18, I think your partner is Portuguese by birth.  Assuming her baby is with you, then the baby would have joint British/Portuguese nationality when born.  Citizenship does not pass up to a child's parents.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cynic
Expat Team