Etihad offer - M2

I work in in financial services in the UK on 120k p/y package, and have this offer on the table. I have 15 years experience in my field.

My feeling is this offer is not worth moving for as it's actually would mean I'd save less than I do in the UK!
Done the sums, but is there something I'm missing?

22k basic, 13k housing, 3k other =
38k total per month.
+20k one off moving amount
+36k schooling per year

I have one baby and a wife. Thoughts on the offer?

Thanks

Quick view, it is definitely not worth it.   Today, you are on gross of almost 50K AED. 

Your employer might be arguing that you should look at take home salary and not gross because of taxes.  That is standard argument and is somewhat exploitative in nature as it dupes people who don't know about the cost of living in the UAE.  Your taxes in the UK cover a range of facilities for you; not just limited to NHS and schooling.

The 36K for schooling is non-existent when your child starts going to school as in the good ones, you are looking at ranges of 50-80K.   I used to pay 65K for a Grade 1 going child when I was in Dubai.

House rentals, to duplicate standards of a western style of living in a good community would be much more expensive than the UK.   Also, I didn't notice medical in your offer so that is another add on.

Tha is very helpful, especially on the schooling numbers. I will decline the offer as I think we are miles apart, don't really understand why they offered such a low figure in the first place when they know my current package.

As I said, it is standard for local companies here.  Give a lower offer and then sell the candidate on tax free element so he gets enticed and doesn't do research on other areas OR use it as a negotiation tactic.

They came back with a revised offer of 43k total, upping the schooling element to 50. 

Better than before by about £1k a month and the schooling element also, but still a good £850 where I would be at parity!

That's good.  Just make sure you get what you want before you sign on that dotted line.  It is next to impossible to get it after the fact i.e. ignore promises of the future :).

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

Noticed that the up front costs of renting an apartment or villa will be around 5% on agents fees + a months rent. Works out at around 16k AED just to move in, then there's other start up costs. 

Seems they won't pay these and so the 20k moving allowance will be all but gone before any furniture is even bought!

I'll add this to the negotiation and see what they come back with!

Well, you can negotiate the 5% as theoretically the landlord should be paying it.

Thanks, they upped the total offer from 43 to 45, increasing the cash element to just over 31k.

Still 5k below what I'm after so will try again.

Hi

appreciate this is an old post but wondering what you ended up deciding?

i an looking at a job in Abu Dhabi currently so this thread came up in my search

thanks