Daughter just moved to norway, advice please? :-)

Hi all, my daughter is having issues registering with the Police at UDI before her appointment at a tax office in Oslo , they have said that there are no appointments available until May, which she has booked so at least she's on the system, they have said it is ok to stay in Norway as she's done this, but, there is a clear language barrier, and she cannot obtain her D number before the appointment at UDI. Her personal belongings are currently being shipped by courier from the UK (with full inventory) addressed to her boyfriend in Oslo where she will be residing.
She's tried to speak to several authorities today but I do not think that they are understanding her situation?
She has spent a considerable amount of time visiting her partner in Norway over the past 3 years, but this permanent moving process has completely confused us  :(
She is self sufficient financially at the moment, but will be looking for a job very soon.
Has anyone else had issues similar to hers, and if so do you have any advice to speed up the process?
I have also read that she can present herself at a local police station to register, does anyone know if this is correct?
She's only been there for a day and already pulling her hair out due to conflicting information. Any advice would be most welcome. Many thanks

What we usually do in situation like this is to login to the udi website several times a day to see if someone have given up their spot. If you're lucky, sometimes you could change your appointment to a much earlier date.

I'm having the exact same issue and my situation is exactly the same..Didn't expect this really as it only took me 3 weeks to get the work permit number in Spain..

Ask her to check the online portal EVERYDAY for available appointments.  Sometimes people cancel their appointments and suddenly there are available ones very soon.

there are relocation companies who help people with the process and they will prebooked A LOT of appontments no matter if they need it or not.  I know because my company assigned one for my case.  I remember I could literately go to UDI any day.

when these companies don't need the appointments, they will cancel them the day before or the day itself.  so all the suddenly LOTS of appointment slots available.

Hi,

Firstly do as the others say and check every day.

I was lucky, I had a job offer so avoided the whole UDI experience part so I only needed to register with the police. It took 2 attempts and a lot of very strange conversations!

One piece of advice I would give is make sure she takes every bit of paper possible to her appointment. My partner had to write a letter to say I was going to live in his house with him as there was no contact / house sale.

Once you have paper from the police you can apply to the Skatt (tax) to get a D number. That's another whole set of appointments.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for this useful information! Can I ask, do you speak Norwegian?
It seems rather complicated for me to get a job if I don't have a certain level in Norwegian in most cases B2) even if I am a language teacher (English and Spanish).
And true, everything is very slow..

Hi,

Yes I do now and was learning before I moved here a little. I was lucky that I have quite a unique skill set and actually had many years experience in that field just missing the language.

With regard language many people struggle to get a job without the holy grail of B2. Again being English is a huge advantage, it's not to do with language more football!

NTNU have a fantastic free package (use a pc) and Duolingo helps lots. Allot of people learn better Norwegian by doing shop work where you get more experience.