Organize your move to Norway

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Norway.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Norway:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Norway?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Norway?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Norway?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

If you are planning to move from France, if your relocation allowances permits, I would recommend you to bring all your appliances. EU plug will work in Norway.
Everything is very expensive here. When I visited to France, Germany I usually do the grocery shopping.
Otherwise IKEA is also available here be some limits. Moreover there a limit to bring alcohol in Norway.

http://toll.no/default.aspx?id=3&epslanguage=en

My suggestion is to sell your car in France and buy a second hand car or new in Norway. It is a lengthy process.

Feel free to ask more questions.

My suggestions are to bring ski gear if you enjoy skiing and winter clothes (warm clothing). Everything is expensive here in Norway.

Juliie wrote:

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Norway.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Norway:

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

Like any move I would say anything that 'could' be left be hind and perhaps not missed that much SHOULD be left behind - I would apply this to any move especially if your crossing countries since it'll cut down on costs. For me personally I brought everything personal to me that I owned and several photo's and sentimental bits that reminded me of home. It seems small but what I would say if even if you don't read often bring books from home in your home language - It was always comforting when I got homesick to burry my head in a book from home.

I left out anything big and clunky - I went for just flying masses of suitcases back and forth as I knew I would be in and out of England frequently so drawers, tvs etc were just not an option for me. However I did bring with me DVD players, computers and other small domestic appliances.

Plus there are a ton of IKEA's in Norway, always helpful when you are furnishing a new place from scratch.

For me being English I still find there are things I miss that I know I just can't have in Norway and just had to get used to (Ie. Sausages!) I couldn't tell you exactly what is banned as far as EVERYTHING goes but I can tell you that marmite is banned! Though oddly you can import it.. I think its just not allowed to be produced and sold there...

This depends on where you are moving from. Be aware that you may have to pay a huge tax if you are bringing a car into the country - I have heard of this happening but have not had it happen to me personally to be able to offer you much info on this. Purely for ease I would say buy one once settled 1. Ease like i mentioned and 2. If you realise after moving that you just arent going to settle like you imaged (Sadly it happens.) then you could have paid said import taxes for little reason.

Be aware that it is a big change and cut yourself some slack :) When I fist moved here I was so lonely, homesick and sad and found myself getting irritated for being upset as its something I really wanted - But it was a CHANGE and it is okay to get upset about it from time to time.

Look at the drink limits if you are importing alcohol - Its a good idea to pick up a few bottles at the airport are you'll save a TON but they will take it off you or simply not allow you to purchase it if you buy too much.

Ad like alvinmoe said - Bring ski wear (And winter wear!) It'll be alot cheaper where you are then here and you'll be kidding yourself if you think you wont need it..

Blogging. It helps you feel connected to your old life aswell as the new one you'll be starting.

This is just my personal views but I hope they help :)

i m finding a job and the partner in norway. i like live in norway with my partner. if anybody like my idea.. please contact me with me by e-mail   [email protected]    i m srilanken who work and stay in italy.