Hi, i am moving to Lviv

I am moving to Lviv in April 2019, my daughter in law and grand daughter are born in Kherson, native and are joining me in Lviv, I am retiring there permanently, living on SS income...we will find an apartment in May.

I am worried about the permanent residency requirements though, it seems like a nightmare...I think I have the list of documents to get for this, but now I am thinking I need to apply for the visa before I even get there? in London or Poland? also, has anyone had experience shipping their household items to Ukraine at the border, problems? I found a shipping company but am worried that they will hold my stuff for some reason or another...we are planning on renting and not buying....my daughter in law is fluent in Russian and a little Ukrainian...any tips will be a god sent!!   Carrey 

also, how much is the fees for the process?

Hi, may be it will be better to find good legal company in Lviv which will help you to prepare all needed documents.
Concerning the shipping of your staff, I think there shouldn't be many problems. Some of the users of this forum told that they crossed the western border of Ukraine without any problems.

Hi and thanks for the answer, if I can afford it I will look for a legal person!

Hi there
I read with interest your forthcoming move.
A few things to not.
It is no cheaper to get your visa D in England  or Poland. You can apply online for an appointment and fill in the eform on the Ukraine web site.
You need to know what is reason to apply for visa D. IE marriage, re unification of family, Work, Religious, Charity work . etc. What ever your reason you need a visa D.
When you arrive you then need to apply for temporary residency. this is done in your Local Ovir. You must do this within a few days on arrival as it takes about 10 working days. If there a problem you have up too 90 days to complete, and the Ovir can extend your visa D if needed.
Once you have this you must register at an address within 7 days. Failure to do this could result in you being refused entry or another visa D.
Registering at an address. Can be any address providing the owner gives there consent and on registering comes with you to register.
Permanent residency can take 2 or 3 years and longer in the odd occasions.
There is discussion at the moment if you get a full residency should an expat pay 18% on any money they have coming into the Ukraine. Temporary this does not apply.
Under Ukrainian laws as a temporary resident you cant buy land in your name, but you can buy and register at a house or apartment, providing its fully payed up.
Costs. Visa D last year was £1460.00 for a UK Passport holder. Other passport holder have a different fee.
Ovir to register and pay tax 1500 UAH about £40.00 medical insurance is the same amount, trust me get it local, this may mean you have two one to travel there and the embassy check and then another when you get here. Your one may give you a million pounds cover, gold plated, with bells, but the Ovir needs it in Ukrainian an cost about 3000 UAH, for 4 pages( this is done at the Notary) If you do this slowly and read any guide notes it will cost about £110.00. about two or three hours at the Ovir and a little leg work. or go to legal and pay from $2000 to $3000 +

I am working a little blind but i assume your in the UK, if this is the case i may be able to help you, I used a well established set of lads working from London. They pick up up and down the country. There charge is £1.10 a kilo. They take care of all boarders etc and i have never lost or had anything broken. And lucky you they come from Lviv. There nothing to do with me just lads i used last year. I, if you wish i can supply you there phone number, just look on this site under property for sale, large house for sale and you will get my phone number.

I  hope this helps i can give you a little more information if you need any.

regards

martin Odessa Ukraine

Lol i just looked your from the USA. ah most of what  i said is correct. Just for get the visa D cost its cheaper for you and forget the Currier. but the rest apply s.

martin

Hello, I applaud your decision to move to Ukraine!  We toyed with doing that also but will probably not do it.  Our son married a Ukrainian several years ago and lives in Kyiv.  We visited them about a year ago, and visited Lviv for a few days.  Yes, we also strongly advise getting with a local Lviv legal firm, as they can help make it much easier for you.  Our son had several "hoops" to jump through to get to the point of being a permanent resident.  I don't know if you have ever visited Lviv but it is a lovely city - quaint yet a big city!    Good luck to you!
Carol and Bob, Lubbock Texas

Hello Martin,

I am not moving to Lviv, but I wanted to say your post is very helpful!

I am moving to Kyiv, and I am following your advice!

Your message is greatly appreciated.