Staying in touch with a Woman in Ukraine

Hi. I've recently started chatting to a Woman in the Ukraine. She lives in a small town, Valerianivka.  Internet access, and therefore email or online chat, is very expensive and makes staying in touch difficult.  Her workplace is quite strict on internet usage.  I wanted to courier her a phone but she was sceptical of that, since a lot of things get stolen. And she doesn't have a bank account, although she works for a company.  I've verified all these facts and they appear to be plausable.  In South Africa not having a bank account is near impossible if you work.  Internet is freely available and cheap and courier services are reliable and safe.  So I want to know what options I have to continue chatting to this Woman and hopefully meeting her one day.  And how would I tell a scam from the real thing?  Except for me getting on a plane and flying over there, how can I verify this Woman?!  I have her name and surname and she works in Kharkiv.  I really like her and any help would be appreciated. Thanks. David.

Welcome to Expat.com David!

Hope that everything will be alright soon.;)

Harmonie.:)

Hello David.

I am Ukrainian and I've recently moved to South Africa to my boyfriend who had the same concerns as you have now. Also, I've worked in marriage agency in Ukraine and I can quite understand whether woman is serious and sincere or she just uses a man.
If this woman lives in a small town, there might be a problem with the Internet, this is true. But the middle monthly fee is about 80-100 UAH. If she goes to some Internet cafe, the price per hour can be about 5-10 UAH. I am not sure, as I used Internet at home.
Sending some stuff like phone is not a good idea at all, because it is very common that things get stolen while the delivery, the sad truth.
Bank account is not as widespread thing in Ukraine as abroad. Many people get their salaries straight into hands from the accountant.
I met my boyfriend through work (my company provided software for the company of my boyfriend), we started to chat, then talked through skype and then he decided to come. After 6 months since our acquaintance, I've moved to SA and now we live together, absolutely happy. So, believe me, that there are many wonderful women in Ukraine. But still there are woman who use foreigners to have a better life. So, be attentive and listen to your heart and mind.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any questions :)

Anna

David, you may check her data with those she told you about i.e. full name, date of birth, address, work etc.
After some time, I believe, you will be able to understand when you are being scamed. Although I think checking on her public data at the beginning of your communication may safe you time, money and nerves.

I, personaly, did not understand ehy she needs a new phone. They are not expensive now.

Hi guys

Thanks so much for your replies and insights.  Thanks Anna. :-).

Regards
David

Why not you go to her town to meet her personally. I think this is better then you send her gift..

Cuase it is quite costly to come here from South Africa:) Interesting, did it work out with her for dkorzennik...