Do I need to pay VAT for renting through agency?

Hello guys,
I am new to Malta and renting a new place soon.

The agent we have told us that for the first month, we need to pay one-month rent plus one-month deposit plus 18%VAT fees.
I read somewhere saying that there's actually no VAT fees. Is that true?

How it should work there? I am signing an agreement soon, so really want to finger out whether we are on the right track or being a bit scammed...

Thank you in advance for your answer!
Jen

You pay VAT on the commission the agent charges you.

Ok, I see. Thanks! :) One more question if you have answers.
My landlord says that I pay her 100 euros per month for water and electricity. At the end of the year, she will show us the bill. If we use more than what we paid, we pay her more. If we use less than what we paid, she will give us back the amount.

Is it normal?
I heard about the domestic tariff and resident tariff thing on utilities. Will this way influence the cost?

Thank you!

Ask for every 2 months, that's the frequency they get the bills so they can consolidate at the same frequency.  But yes its normal.

Insist they fill in Form H so you get the right tarriff else it can be a lot higher.

volcane wrote:

Ask for every 2 months, that's the frequency they get the bills so they can consolidate at the same frequency.  But yes its normal.

Insist they fill in Form H so you get the right tarriff else it can be a lot higher.

Thank you! :) Do you know where to get Form H? After landlord fills in Form H, do I need to hand the form to somewhere?

Jenkkkmt wrote:

Ok, I see. Thanks! :) One more question if you have answers.
My landlord says that I pay her 100 euros per month for water and electricity. At the end of the year, she will show us the bill. If we use more than what we paid, we pay her more. If we use less than what we paid, she will give us back the amount.

Is it normal?
I heard about the domestic tariff and resident tariff thing on utilities. Will this way influence the cost?

Thank you!

It is quite normal to pay like this, we pay €50 every month and we get a copy of the bill every two or three months depending when its arrived, normally we do not have to pay any extra and if we do it's not very much, a year seems a long time to me.

Jenkkkmt wrote:
volcane wrote:

Thank you! :) Do you know where to get Form H? After landlord fills in Form H, do I need to hand the form to somewhere?

We have moved three times and each one the landlord has done this for us.

Thank you GoZoMo! :) I am seeing the landlord tomorrow and I will check with her on this point!

Jenkkkmt wrote:
volcane wrote:

Download form H from the Arms website,

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Jenkkkmt wrote:
volcane wrote:

Download form H from the Arms website,

https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

Thank you F0xgl0ve ! And I checked with my landlord yesterday, she's fine with signing the form :)