Queries Regarding Residence Card Type B

Hello There,
I have some doubts regarding Residence Card Type B (PR) here in Belgium (Its not about work permit type B). Hope you all can answer to my queries.
1. When are you eligible to apply for Type B Card based on your continuous employment, As soon as you receive 5th Card A or you have to complete 5 years that means when you get 6th Type A card.
2. My first card was issued in January 2016 as Dependent but i started job with my own WP in August and my company asked me to change my residential status so i change it to Independent from dependent in December 2016. What should be my start date to consider than.
3. After getting type B Card, can I also work outside Belgium.

Thanks for your answers

sanit1001 wrote:

Hello There,
I have some doubts regarding Residence Card Type B (PR) here in Belgium (Its not about work permit type B). Hope you all can answer to my queries.
1. When are you eligible to apply for Type B Card based on your continuous employment, As soon as you receive 5th Card A or you have to complete 5 years that means when you get 6th Type A card.
2. My first card was issued in January 2016 as Dependent but i started job with my own WP in August and my company asked me to change my residential status so i change it to Independent from dependent in December 2016. What should be my start date to consider than.
3. After getting type B Card, can I also work outside Belgium.

Thanks for your answers

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To try and answer your questions:

1.  After 5 years.
2.  Not sure, best ask at the local municipality.
3.  No, it's a residence card.  Together with your current national passport, It does allow you to travel to other Schengen countries as a tourist for up to 90 days at a time.  If you want to work in another country, you will have to start again with their procedures.  The other alternative would be to apply for Belgian nationality, once you have that, you can live/work anywhere in the EU.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

In addition to Cynic's helpful responses, this is what I know.

1. After 5 years counting from the date of issue of the person's first residence permit.
2. Indeed, ask the commune for confirmation, Based on my knowledge, the moment you changed from dependent to independent, your clock reset. Do check with the commune to confirm this.
3. There is card type D which supposedly (not sure) allows you to work in other EU states and of course passport is the best option other than that.

Interesting.

There is an EU Document (Annex 22 - LIST OF RESIDENCE PERMITS ISSUED BY MEMBER STATES); you can download it from here.

Residence permits in the EU are national versions of the EU Article 10 residence permit.  Only Belgium appears to issue Type D residence permits (the reference document is 70 pages long!) and my understanding is that they are still residence cards, they don't automatically include a right to work unless the individual nation agrees; I can't find an example of any country that does, but I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

I'm not sure how they port across into the non-Schengen countries.  The B & C cards also grant the holder unlimited stay and, for example, the UK will grant residence permits to holders of these "lesser" cards (in certain circumstances).

The best of luck to all those trying to navigate the minefield of EU immigration. :)

That is good research Cynic 👏👏 ! I will correct my other responses based on this info 👍

Dear all,

I have similar question as sanit1001.

Currently, I have an employee status but I may change to an independent status in the future. I asked Ixelles Commune a few months back whether I would lose the time I have already spent in Belgium (almost 3 years) should I change from employee status to independent status. They told me no. Does anyone have any information on this?

I assume that once I have done 5 years (as employee then potentially as independent status), I would acquire carte B?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Thanks all for your answer. I will check with the commune about my change status.

Hello,

Once i get Residence Card Type B (PR) here in Belgium, I no more need to apply for Worpermit for working here in Belgium?  correct me if i am wrong please.

Thanks.

This is correct.

Hi Everyone,

Does changing status from dependent to independent or vise versa resets the PR clock?

Regards
Jay

I think yes, based on previous experiences that we heard here.

Hi Anees,

I asked in Commune today and they verbally told me that it will not. Confused now!!! :|

Regards
Jay

Hi, I've been on deputation in Belgium for last 5 years. Does anyone know whether I am eligible to receive residence permit type B or D? Has anyone on deputation in Belgium (from non-EU country) received residence permit type B or D recently? If so, please share. Thanks.

If you had 5 work permits and completed 5 years from your date of issue of first residence permit, you can apply by all means.