Dating and finding love as an expat in Belgium

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Belgium?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Belgium?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Belgium?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Belgium?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

My situation is sliiiightly different as my partner is Belgian and I am English however we met online and for a year and a half were long distance, lived in the UK for 3 years and now I'm moving to Belgium with him. His English is immaculate so there was never any language barriers there really, however his parents speak a lot less English so that can be tricky and is actually probably the most difficult part I've found of our relationship as It's been more difficult getting to know them properly, a lot of time is spent translating from my partner, I'm hoping once I've been over there permanently for a few months I'll start to pick up the language more. In terms of dating differences, I don't think there was really any, me and my partner both hadn't really had any serious past relationships and we are very like minded so really lucky. I can't really answer any questions about actually real life dating in Belgium however I'm sure I'll eventually be taken on dates over here by my SO so I'll update you on that!

Hi raralvey,

Just curious to know, why have you chosen to move in Belgium?
I thought UK offered more in terms of life experience.

It was a hard decision however I don't have any family in the UK or a good friend network either so no support, I'd had some time off sick which was putting pressure on my partner. Here we have his parents, grandparents and all his old friends etc so just seemed like the right thing to do. Also my partner can drive over here and for him to get a car in the UK would have been really expensive. The downsides are that I have to learn the language, I'm not the best at learning languages so it'll take time and also I have to give up a bit of my independence a little whilst we move in with his parents just to get us settled in. We were noticing price inflation because of Brexit, and we just were not happy so just thought we'd make a change!