Move to Santa Marta vs. Medellin

Hello everyone.
Just join this forum and wanted to have you all help me with some information.  I am originally from Bogota but have been living in the States since I was a teen. I am planning to move back to Colombia after 40 years. I am looking at Santa Marta more than Medellin. Anyone have any thoughts?  I have been in the state most of my life so this a big move for me.  Any advise, information, thoughts?

Dear Cardente,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of expat.com ....

Since weather is a key factor to all Expats except the house-bound .. I suggest that you consider the major differences in temperatures between Santa Marta and Medellín.

The average high temperature in Santa Marta is 90-92 degrees Fahrenheit every month year-round.

(Data source used in this post:  www.weather-and-climate.com).

In every month the average high in Medellín is about ten degrees Fahrenheit cooler than Santa Marta.  Still warm enough to swim outdoors much of the year, but far fewer scorching days approaching 95 degrees or more.

Some like it hot.  If that's you, Santa Marta may be ideal.  If you grew up in Florida, other Gulf States or southern Arizona, perhaps your body has become accustomed to a caliente location.

Most USA Expats prefer the more temperate climate that Medellín and the Coffee Zone offer.

Others find even the warmer months in Medellín to be uncomfortable in the afternoons .. and choose jacket-weather places including higher-altitude Bogotá and Manizales. 

cccmedia

Hi Cardente

Can you give me a Private Message. Id like to chat a bit. I've had home in SM with with wife for close to 13 years. Nice conjunto in Rodadero.

Thanks
USAmario

Thank you for your response.  I am one of those that like the hot weather. I lived in NJ for many years and Fl by far is the best for me. So Santa Marta wins. Any idea on the best area to live near the water?