Considering moving to Portugal from the USA as an expat

Hello All,

My name is Rodney and I am in the process of starting my expat life hopefully in Portugal.  I currently live in the USA and I've been doing research on Portugal for a little while as a place to start my expat life.  I'm seeking to move to Portugal for a healthy lifestyle to include an inexpensive yet decent professional and social environment with diverse cultures and positive like-minded individuals.

As many of you know, this is a major step to potentially move to another country to start a life to gain the positive outcomes that my current environment does not offer.   My perspective is that simplicity is the answer to most things yet complicated situations and environments are bestowed amongst many causing them to not be able to reap the benefits of a true happy, healthy and productive life. 

With that said, I'm seeking some of your feedback and experience to assist in my journey in transforming and restructuring my life as I consider to move to Portugal as an expat.  From my research and conversations, it appears to be difficult to find inexpensive flats or properties to live in or near Lisbon.....is that true?   I'd like to live in an inexpensive, safe, multi-cultural, dynamic and middle-class environment where I can thrive.   

I'd like to hear some of your perspectives regarding things to do BEFORE I move.  What should I watch out for?  Any challenges in getting a residency / work visa etc.   I'm also seeking streams of income to ensure that I'm successful in my expat life.   I'm currently an IT Director, so I've been seeking IT opportunities there to see the possibilities.   At the same time, I don't want to work in a highly stressed environment...else I could stay here.

I'm going on a visit trip to Lisbon next month and it will assist me in seeing and getting a better feel of the country, lifestyle, culture etc.   I'd like to get some of your perspectives and recommendations on things that I should do on my visit to Lisbon before moving there.

I'm excited about this experience and this next phase of my life and look forward to communicating with several of you and receiving your perspectives and feedback. regarding:

1. Accommodations in Lisbon and surrounding areas
2. Cost of living for a middle-class lifestyle
3. Safety in Portugal for all ethnic cultures
4. Healthcare
5. Work and Income Opportunities
6. Social and Recreational Life
7. Obtaining visa and residency (challenges or ease)

HI, Rodney,

We have moved here just about 2 months ago. For us, the move was an immediate blessing.  We live at the north end of the Lisbon region, in Lourinha. Very simple, quiet place somewhat off the beaten track. Nice beaches, and a number of larger towns within 20 minutes to a half hour.

The Silver Coast attracts many expats but not enough to greatly affect the culture. The Algarve is loaded with tourists and the culture has changed greatly to accommodate them.

I cannot speak with any knowledge about the multicultural= multiracial situation as we are caucasians and so fit in easily. But I would say that the color line is quite different in portugal than in the US. Because of the background with the Moors in Portugal and the many potuguese  colonies, there are a lot of portuguese peole who to my eye are multi-racial but from casual observation they do not appear marked off from the rest of the population. There is a wide color bandwidth of people who appear to be considered just plain portuguese. Others will understand more about this than I do.

If you have to be in Lisbon you will have the same big city concerns as in any large capital city. If you look at a map, there appears to be an imaginary line just north of Loures where you leave the urban zone and enter a much more rural and natural culture and landscape. Things will be quieter and safer and less expensive north of that line.

Len

Len,

Thanks for you reply.  Your perspective definitely helps.  I'd like to know what your experience was regarding locating a place to live.  Was it difficult?  What is the "average" cost for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in your area?

Thanks in advance,
Rodney

HI, Rodney,

We have not had any experience looking for an apartment except for airbnb. We came in May and had no trouble finding great short term rentals and we came back in January and February and stayed in Cascais in an airbnb, which is lovely, and close to Lisbon by commuter train. All the while we were looking for a house, not an apartment.  My sense is that some nice apartments are available in the E500 range even in Lisbon, where the average salary is only E900/month, but others will be more helpful when it comes to apartments.

What I can tell you is that today, October 22, the temperature is 75F and the skies are clear and there is a slight breeze coming in from the ocean. Living here has been paradise. It is somewhat cooler in Winter, in the 50s an low 60s with some rain, but it never freezes.

Len

Thanks Len!   That helps!   I'm jealous right now that you are able to enjoy the lovely weather and the ocean as the temperature dropped here with no ocean in view.

If I'm not directly in Lisbon, I'd definitely like to be near a commuter train that can get me to Lisbon in a short period of time.   I will continue to look at some apartments and airbnb to see what is available to make this move.

Gratefully,
Rodney

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory or share the names/contact details through the private messaging system of the website. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

If you like the sea and the ocean you can also go to Sesimbra, Setúbal, Praia do Meco, etc., which is a litle more to the south (about 35 km from Lisbon - 30/35 minutes by car).
But Cascais and Lisbon is always a good option also,

Thanks for the recommendation digonalt.  I'll definitely give it some consideration.