Language barriers in the United Arab Emirates

Hello,

Learning a new language is a part of the expat process. Let's find out how crucial it is to know the language in the United Arab Emirates.

What is the official language in the United Arab Emirates, and what are the other popular spoken languages?

Is it possible to live in the United Arab Emirates and get by without speaking the language?

How do you manage to communicate with the locals if you don't speak the native/official language fluently?

What are some popular and useful phrases that expats absolutely need to know?

Can you share some tips about how to survive in the United Arab Emirates on a daily basis without speaking the language?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello dear
Official language Arabic & English and National language arabic

Hi
Great question.

I think what's important is to get to know some basic phrases that directly relate to your job and work environment. As a teacher, it helps if you know the Arabic phrases for
* stay quiet
* line up
* where's your homework
* listen, please
* watch, please
etc.

I hope you find your mojo pretty soon. Make an effort to learn some every day greeting phrases too, a sit won't harm.

Good luck and Insha Allah

Not an issue if u know English and Hindi...u r at ease..

If you need to learn Arabic language I am ready to teach Arabic conversation and The first lesson is free to check your learning.

Dear Priscilla,
Few comments first about you . You are amazing and i am not kidding or demand anything .
However , been for some years working  in UAE , and always hoping to return and work again , i never faced a problem with the language , despite i am Arabic speaker . Because most workers come from Asian countries, the English language is widely the language you can  use everywhere. Note , i am refering to workers from Western countries who cannot speak Talagalog or Indian / Pakistani . Arabic language can be used also in some cases and i believe it is an advantage for some one who  can communicate in Arabic .

I am considering English language strong enough for communication in UAE .
All the best

Hi there,

My dear the native language in UAE is Arabic, but if you don't no you don't have to worries beacuse 90% people know English and , there's different nationality's and most of them speak English, so don't worries it's so easy to communication with people 😊

Yes Most of people know English , Most of non Arabic speakers from different countries speak BROKEN ARABIC.
The good thing if you learn language you will understand and know the culture.

The following comment comes from one Expat. He comes from Europe:

•    Living in a country without being able to understand its language, can be frustrating. If you are in an Arab country, you have probably realized how much easier, and also enjoyable, your daily life would be if you knew how to read and speak Arabic. Arabs feel pleased when foreigners make an attempt to speak their language. Even a few phrases make a difference. Having sound knowledge of the language makes you an extra welcome and privileged guest.