Tunisian citizenship (via naturalisation/marriage) for foreign men

Dear all,

I am a British male and am on the verge of entering a civil partnership with a Tunisian madame. I'd like to ask about the possibilities/conditions under which I myself could become a national of this great nation.

Under the different ways of acquiring Tunisian nationality, multiplecitizenship.com writes:

MARRIAGE: Foreign woman, whose country demands that their citizenship be renounced in order to marry, is granted citizenship at the time of her marriage to the Tunisian spouse. Foreign woman, whose country does not demand renouncement of citizenship, may apply for Tunisian citizenship in two years.

NATURALIZATION: Tunisian citizenship may be acquired upon fulfilment of the following conditions: Person has resided in a fixed residence in the country for at least five years, has no criminal record, is knowledgeable of the Arabic language, is in good health, and is of good character. The residence requirement is less than five years for those with blood or marital ties to Tunisian citizens.

I have been told about people who have waited for Tunisian citizenship for several decades. The law is very ambiguous as to how long one needs in order to be able to apply for Tunisian citizenship upon the establishment of a "marital tie to a Tunisian citizen".

Does this then mean that I can apply for citizenship in 4, 3, 2 years or even 1 or less than one year into the relationship?

I'm British (if this plays any role in the relevant government committee's preferences). Do I have to convert to Islam in order to become Tunisian? Is there a certain net worth required to naturalise?

I have never seen a scan of a foreigner's Tunisian passport. Perhaps someone here could comment.

Thanks all,
IaD

This is an old thread and no doubt you've figured it out by now, but for anyone like me who finds this by searching later:

1. As of late 2017, it is no longer required to convert to Islam to marry a Tunisian woman in Tunisia ( https://www.la-croix.com/Religion/coupl … 1200881179 ). We have registered our marriage (similar to your situation), so yes it works fine.

Can't help you on the rest though. I think it's going to be a long and difficult process even if you're living in Gammarth and married to a Tunisian woman.

PS: here's a summary document that might help with the new laws post-2017: http://gfic.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/ … sienne.pdf

Ok that link is maybe blocked, but if you search (including the quotes) on Google: "le gouvernement tunisien a abrogé la circulaire du ministère de la Justice interdisant"

then click that document and you'll find the full text.