Finding your bearings in Ukraine

Hello,

While technology has definitely helped us navigate ourselves more easily in most countries, it's not the case everywhere.

How do you get to your destinations and navigate yourself in Ukraine? Do you use gps systems such as google/apple maps?

Are the gps navigational systems updated enough that they provide accurate information and directions?

Is it enough to simply follow road signs in Ukraine?

Is talking to locals and asking them directions the best way to get around? Are they generally friendly and helpful?

Are there any online resources or other types of resources to help you better understand the road systems, transportation, etc., in order to find your bearings?

What are the steps to take if you get lost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Maybe start by explaining what exactly you are trying to do/achieve? Are you travelling cities on a rented car? What cities? Google maps hasn't failed me once.

@ limiteddi >

I am a member of the Expat.com team and i am looking to gather information on how to find your bearing.
The information shared on this thread will help other expats who just arrived  in Ukraine. :)

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I live in Nikolaev and regularly travel around Ukraine.

I tend to use Google Maps or Apple Maps on my iPhone. It also seems to be the locally accepted way to navigate Ukraine.

We have run into some issues where the navigator tries to send us the wrong way down a one-way street, but it is not too common. Although, I would say that it is more common than Western Europe or America. I think map accuracy is not quite so high in Ukraine. But, I still think Google Maps is the best way to go.