Homeschool

Hello my name is Gabi , I have a 10 year old daughter who is starting homeschool in September, I'm looking for other mums who homeschool their kids here in Budapest Hungary. Maybe to meet up for a coffee and a chat , or a play date . Thank you would be lovely to hear from you and if you have any advice on homeschooling I would greatly appreciate it ! Gabi 😀

Hey Gabi
Is homeschooling is allowed here in Hungary? Coz when I arrived, I heard its not.. So I enrolled my kids to normal public school, which they are facing problems with bullying!

My understanding was that home schooling was allowed, but it was highly regulated. Such as one has to be monitored and approved by a local school, and the child must take all the same tests as those in normal school, thus the same curriculum must be followed.

But of course, here, the laws can change over night. And I honestly don't know the current legal status. I would contact this site for more up to date information:

https://hslda.org/content/hs/internatio … efault.asp

Lilyjohn wrote:

Hey Gabi
Is homeschooling is allowed here in Hungary? Coz when I arrived, I heard its not.. So I enrolled my kids to normal public school, which they are facing problems with bullying!

Very sorry to hear about your children being bullied in Hungary.
So low class of the parents of these delinquents.
I hope you have brought this issue to the attention of the school staff although they probably just brush off anything that would require some real teaching meaning teaching children how to act and how to respect others.
My son was slightly bullied in school, red headed boys have it hard.
I always fought with the staff whenever it came to blows with other children in school.
He would defend himself and of course the loser in a fight always gets a pity party by the school staff.
No matter if they started it or not.
Last school fight however my son's arm was broken.( Didn't get our pity party though...)
We pulled him out of school and enrolled him in a private school for 3 years.
We were lucky at the time that we could afford it, not everyone can.
I seriously think homeschooling is the best thing to do overall.
Perhaps in Hungary ex-pat parents who live close to each other could group together and share teaching time or space to hold a few children at once, share the teaching with other parents or have 2 parents teaching 4 or 5 children in one location or even holding classes over skype or some other media.
We've known Hungarian speaking children who were born and raised in the US who moved to Hungary with their parents.
All were bullied in school even though they spoke Hungarian, they had accents.
Kids will find any silly thing to tease each other about if anyone if even slightly,"different".
A couple weeks ago while waiting for our pizza's to be ready in a pizza parlor here in Vegas I got to talking with a young women in line.
She appeared to be in her 20's but really she was allot older.
Her 7 year old daughter came over and the women told me she was one of her 5 children she had within 10 years of her marriage and that she homeschooled all 5 herself,She was amazing and really a cool mom.
Gave me hope that not everyone follows the system just because it's easier to do.
If I could do it again, I'd home school also.
I'm sure it isn't as hard as one thinks as in "normal" school the staff is probably spending 3/4th of their time just trying to control everyone, can't be that hard to teach your own children even if they have a gov. plan on how to do it. This Vegas mom said she only taught 4 hours a day and they had class outside, in the park or worked with their hands while learning.
Probably  learning more at home then they ever would inside a boring classroom with spit ball fights and unruly idiots running around their desks.
Good luck, people should share their knowledge about homeschooling with other forward thinking families.

True.. But I haven't got any parents with my kids ages or interested in homeschooling as well.

Maybe only this year my kids are suffering coz everything is new and later I will change their school for sure.

Moving and changing schools is never easy, must be very difficult with a new culture to learn as well.
Too bad there aren't more resources for parents of ex-pats such as a social club or club house that isn't just for the individual countries of each ex-pat.
Years back our HU/US friends wanted us to go in with them in Buda area and open up a sort of social club for normal everyday ex-pats but we didn't come to Hungary to work or worry.
Maybe someone young with energy could open up such a club where ex-pats could share info, tips and have small parties or excursions together, BBQ's or swim days in the summer etc.
I knew a US lady who joined the N. American Women's club in Hungary , she had some large amount of funds as did everyone in that club, she said they were way to snobby and stuck up so she quit.
Would be nice to have just a club house simple building where people could meet and learn from each other.A place with low cost dues just to keep the operation going.
Yes, I am a big day dreamer...