Loja/Vilcabamba Internet Quality -- Digital Nomads Want to Know

HI Everyone,

My husband and I would like to start a new topic on the Ecuador Forum.  We would like to know about the internet connections in the Loja/Vilca areas of Southern Ecuador.  How reliable are the companies and connections? 
Does anyone know about international phone lines, reliability, options, and costs?

Please share your information with all of us!

Thanks,
Robin and Joel

I'm living in Malacatos and the internet works at least 85 percent of the time, though it is slow for the price.  I currently use VilcaNet and am thinking of getting a plan through Klix as well (hopefully one will be working when the other isn't, plus will increase my speed without too much additional cost).  Unless you are living in the city, you're pretty much limited to radio based internet.  In Loja I'm pretty sure you can get access through CNT (cable) which I hear is cheaper and possibly a little more dependable.  Also heard something about fiber, though I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Yes, I heard that Google was going to go through Vilca and Malacotos.  I don't have anything to back that up either.  If you hear anything or see any articles, please pass them on!
Let us know how that works out with two internet forums.  We need a very consistant higher speed connection.  If we have to have a place in Loja for a while then, we just do.

Thanks,
Robin

Have you tried contacting CNT?
They cover Vilcabamba according to this press releasein 2017:
http://corporativo.cnt.gob.ec/fibra-opt … -al-mundo/

And have high-speed fiber optics of up to 100 Mbps according to this:
https://www.cnt.gob.ec/internet/plan/fi … a-hogares/

If CNT covers you, I suggest that you combine a 50 Mbps plan with a new mesh wifi  (like Ubiquiti mesh wifi, buy it  on Amazon) you guys should be able to do anything your husband's work would require!
  I run my own internet business and need to use videoconferencing all day, this level of speed is more than adequate for me. But if his work is paying for it, get 100 Mbps.

HI,
I forwarded your post to my husband since he is working right now.  He will need the internet connection.  Thanks for all the information.  We hope we can get a great connection so he can work in Ecuador, too.
We hope Vilca can get Google fiber.  We are in a rural area and would have to have them bring a line to our house.
Joel and I travel back and forth.  We plan to go again in October or November for a while.
Thanks again,
Robin

Just a heads up regarding CNT. What they state as being available may in fact not be available. In another thread I suggested using the CNT map online to find out which internet services are available on a particular street,

Forget that. Forget what the news states about how many miles of fibra optica they have. The only way to be certain if high-speed internet (fibra óptica) is available is to go to the CNT office. The maps they have on their systems is different than their map online.

I learned this fact this week as I'm moving and need high-speed internet. Their map states all is good. The reality is that the most that is being offered by CNT is 2 MB download and 1 MB upload. This is for the capital and for an area that is designated as media alta, alta.

Truly guys, in this country, you have to do the legwork. Nothing is easy.

Thank all for the information.

We will be home in southern Ecu in November/December.  We will do check the web sites and do the leg work in Loja for Vilca!  If we have a good enough connection, Joel might be able to work full time for his USA company in Ecu and run his own internet business- that would be great!

Again, thanks to all!

Robin and Joel

Hi Robin and Joel:

We have used TVGrupo Cable for cable internet.  The price is a little much at $65 to $70 a month for a high speed connection.  They are mostly reliable but sometimes they drop.  Also there is Netlife here which is fiber optic and about half the price.  We use the internet for business and it generally good.

Doc

fibre is now available in Malacatos / Vilcabamba. 80mb connection, $37.50 (currently discounted, I think should be $50 ish).

Uploads are blistering fast, 4mb (bytes not bits) and downloads have had maximum of 5.7mb.

The uploads are consistent, the downloads less so I imagine there is some contention / limiting going on.