Crime and Internet ?

Hi,
I've 2 different things about Ecuador, one saying that is one of the South American countries with less crime and others saying violent crime is rising a lot in Ecuador, can anyone tell me which one is true? Specially in Salinas..

Other thing is internet, so there is no high speed internet on all Ecuador? is there any news on when DSL gonna be available?

these 2 things are the only 2 things stopping me from moving to Ecuador...

Crime here is like that of a major city.. You need to be aware of your surrondings and take care when on busses or at night. 

Internet is another ball of wax and you might want to do some more research as itŽs never spot on..

savvyroundtheworld.wordpress.com

I agree with the Bartenderin Quito.   Crime is always something to be aware of, and take precautions - no matter where you are. 

Salinas is pretty "tranquilo" but we have had our incidents, just like anywhere else.  As a single female, I can say that I consider Salinas pretty safe - but would not recommend to anyone walking alone at night off the main road.  (common sense prevails).

As for "high speed" internet here in Salinas, there are several internet options available.  Speed and availability vary, but at least we have it.   Do not expect the same 24/7 quality and customer service as you get back in the States, though.

That being said, I recommend you come down and visit first before making the plunge to move.  It will be worth the investment to come for a 2-3 week visit to see how you could manage here.

Any more questions regarding Salinas, let me know!!  Good luck!

Hi, we are coming to the Ecuador Coast for 2 weeks the last week of January/11 to explore moving there. We are looking at Salinas,Manta, Crucita.  What can we expect to pay to rent a 3/2 furnished condo/house on the beach for 6 months in Salinas?

Thanks,
Tod

Hi Tod! Your question seems a little off topic! Maybe you should start a new discussion on the Ecuador forum.
Thank you!

It is my opinion that any large city - no matter where on the globe - is going to have crime. Just use common sense anywhere you travel.

As to internet, I have DSL high-speed internet in Sangolqui, about 15 miles outside of Quito. Most large cities do as well. I also have DirecTV satellite reception with numerous english language channels.

Dr. Rene Torres
Ecuador Logistics

Hi Salinasgirl,

could you speak of the speed/costs of the internet options in Salinas?

We're looking at moving in the area, but my wife will require a decent speed of internet to work.

Any info would be appreciated.