Moving bees

Hi,

I have two beehives in the property I am buying near Lliria. I know nothing about bees and need to move them to another part of the land where I can fence them off from a curious dog. Apparently, I need the bees to pollinate the fruit trees. I want to move them about 400 yards and from what I have read on the internet the best thing is to send them somewhere far away for 2 weeks and then bring them back to the new place. Can anyone help with this? Or know anything about bees? Do I need to take care of the hive even if I'm not bothered about getting honey? Or can I leave them to it? Or does anyone know a better place to ask for help and advice?

Thank you,

Aysha

I just googled ‘ keeping bees'.   Loads of info available

I did, of course, google it first. As I said above that was how I learned that the best way to move bees is to move them several miles away for 2 weeks and then move them back. I would need someone who lives in Valencia province to move them to, added to which moving bees is no small task involving the risk of killing the entire hive through overheating or getting lost/ getting stung a lot  - google explained this to me too. Someone who knows about moving bees would be ideal. I considered posting it as a job and did search under jobs first, but not knowing what kind of person does this job in Spain. I decided that posting here first was a better idea.

My apologies for trying to help when you said you knew nothing about bees !

I suspect you will get more information from the internet than from the forum but I may be wrong

Ah, I understand, you took me literally, whereas I was dismissive of the stuff I had learned from google and would only say I "knew" after caring bees for awhile. No worries. There must be a bee-keeping community in Valencia, hopefully I can find someone who speaks some English.

AyshaK wrote:

Ah, I understand, you took me literally, whereas I was dismissive of the stuff I had learned from google and would only say I "knew" after caring bees for awhile. No worries. There must be a bee-keeping community in Valencia, hopefully I can find someone who speaks some English.

I think that would be your best bet, finding maybe a local community to help you out. Surely you can't be the only Beekeeper in the area. Good luck on your search :)