Moving to Canada from Singapore

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this,

I am a Singaporean Undergraduate majoring in Finance (graduating in a year time) who wish to work and live in Canada for the long term. I have no prior full-time working experiences but have 3 years of internship experiences in Finance.

Primary motivation is a desire to seek out greater meaning and challenges in life through a different system of living (which i have heard many people rave about in other channels, where Canadians are driven to find meaning in the work they do and in their way of living). Singapore has long been a country which i am grateful to be nurtured, but i believe that to go further in life, Canada will be the place to fulfil that As i have, in my personal opinion, believe Canadians to be at a higher point in the Maslow Hierarchy (where they seek out self-actualisation)

Personality: I am inherently a person who really like the good in people and always wish to do more for the people around me, and if possible contribute to the society in a significant way through my work and Philanthropy if possible

My primary concern is that i believe the Finance Industry to be highly competitive, even more so for a foreigner. My primary field of work is in Mergers and Acquisitions and would be more than happy to work in an Investment role.

Could i kindly seek your kind opinions on the likelihood of a Singaporean working in a full-time Finance related roles and more specifically in the fields of M&A and Investments if possible. This route would likely be an optimistic case with low probability. A more realistic case would probably involve me working in other non-finance industry and transitioning to the Finance Industry after a few years of working experience.

Would also be more than happy to make friends on this forum.. Thank you all :)

Hello Canadian Immigration,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for this post. I really like the way you see how human lives should be and perceive how mature you are, even though you may still be quite young (as you are undergraduate).

I think your project is well thought and I respect the reasons why you want to immigrate to Canada. Let me warn you of two things:

- Grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. You may be disappointed by many things here in Canada. This country is indeed a fantastic place to live and raise children, but in many aspects, things may be better. So you'd better not have too much expectations and continue preparing your immigration project while being aware of realities.

- I worked in the Financial industry for many years. The competition is hard. Canadians have the knowledge, experience and legitimacy to apply for M&A positions. In a more general way many students in Finance see themselves working in the M&A industry, but many of them fail to achieve their project, because there are very few vacant positions. Also, as in any other parts of the world, locals will have priority over foreigners.

- You may thus expect to work in the finance industry, but you may try to widen your objectives to other positions.

Dear Severinguiton,

Appreciate your kind and invaluable advice, your thoughts are indeed considerations that i have found to be important in making this decision. Your advice do solidifies what i believe to be reflective of the field that i wish to enter. Thank you once again for your kind help, grateful for that. :)